Disguise, Stealth, Identity

gyurka66

I think stealth would be cool in a game like this and i have a few ideas about it.

Identity theft: It would be cool to disguise yourself as somebody else. Explame: I kill a guy then i scan his corpse and by some technology i change my apprearance to match his.

Stealth: i think an invisibility suit or something would be great.

Plastic Surgery: it would be useful if you are wanted in a faction. of course this has to be expensive

the only problem is, it looks like it automatically displays your name above your head.   Which I hate in a game, cause you don't know me how do you already know my name ;)

I think the demonstration used the names of the debugging tool on the engine for the clients. Names would only be demonstrated when you got people on your cross-hairs, like how you mouseovered a person in other MMOs and it showed up their tab, hence, tab-targeting. In DUAL's way of combat, your center of the screen is your "tab-targeting".

the only problem is, it looks like it automatically displays your name above your head.   Which I hate in a game, cause you don't know me how do you already know my name ;)

Like Cap'n said above, they were in a debug mode.

I really hope that player names are not automatically displayed above them. I don't want to wander into a giant city and have all the sights ruined by a mass of names floating around everywhere. 

If outfit customization is a thing, we may come to recognize players by their appearance if we see them enough. 

Crosshairs over a player showing their name would be okay, but I like the idea of having to interact with someone to get their identity first, even though it's arguably not something that most people would like.

I understand when you target them, but still I have never liked that system, because of two reasons, 

1)  you shouldnt get to know my name which cant be changed if I dont tell you.  especially in an immersive game like this.

2)  if I am hiding, and you don't see me, but happen to mouse over my location, my name pops up.  It takes the ability to hide out of all of these kinds of games.

I think for more realism, it should show PLAYER, for name until we have chatted, and I authorize you to view my name, then from that point on when you see me, or mouse over etc, it shows my name.

I understand when you target them, but still I have never liked that system, because of two reasons,

1) you shouldnt get to know my name which cant be changed if I dont tell you. especially in an immersive game like this.

You know, we are all from the same colony ship without offspring.

Crew manifests are a thing.

You know, we are all from the same colony ship without offspring.

Crew manifests are a thing.

yes I understand that, so unless they put in the lore that we were all tagged with some kind of id chip, you still shouldn't know me from captaintwerkmotor.  all you should know is who was on the ship.

Also since the lore also included a massive memory loss, that also covers not knowing Bob, who you walked onto the ship with.

We both know what the game is probably going to do. its going to be like all the other MMO's out there, I was expressing my distaste for that because it breaks our ability to roleplay and to hide etc...

I've always disliked this. For me, the less information given, the better. If we are going for immersion, you're right, they most likely would not know your name, or how much damage you could take, or your class (just generalized examples), much less everyone elses's

And Cornflakes uses  *Logic*     it's super effective.

LOL

yes I understand that, so unless they put in the lore that we were all tagged with some kind of id chip, you still shouldn't know me from captaintwerkmotor.  all you should know is who was on the ship.

Also since the lore also included a massive memory loss, that also covers not knowing Bob, who you walked onto the ship with.

We both know what the game is probably going to do. its going to be like all the other MMO's out there, I was expressing my distaste for that because it breaks our ability to roleplay and to hide etc...

well, theres facial recognition software for a start.

that doesnt need any implants or cooperation from the person to be identified.

you dont have to know the person yourself for your implants/computer systems to identify him/her.

(note: im not advocating general "i know everyone" behaviour. im just pointing out logical details)

we are tagged, we have cerebral implants in our heads to download skills from the Arkship's datacore. It stands to logic lore-wise. Although, there should be an ability to "hide" your name from popping, or even use "stealth hacking" to alter the name entirely, unless someone else got a counter-play to that and tags you with a skill that drops the "illusion" so to speak.

Also, the ability to hide is not an issue. The Devs can make the mouseover work only in close distances and requiring you to use a scoped weapo n to tag a target at further diistances, as you would, since the last time I checked you couldn't see 1,000 meters away with a x1 scope on an SMG :P So, there's the sniper aspect of the game, a guy who can see you but you can't see him, not until they hit you that is. Just pop a minimap indicator on the HUD to show you were you are being hit from, no?

But in any case, what Yama said stands true in my opinion. Names should be displayed only when you initiate "locking" on someone for combat, or scanining them actively for their name, so cities won't be having a permanet green glow aoove player-height :P

LOL

well, theres facial recognition software for a start.

that doesnt need any implants or cooperation from the person to be identified.

you dont have to know the person yourself for your implants/computer systems to identify him/her.

(note: im not advocating general "i know everyone" behaviour. im just pointing out logical details)

But if there is plastic surgery then then a software won't recognise you from look.

we are tagged, we have cerebral implants in our heads to download skills from the Arkship's datacore. It stands to logic lore-wise. Although, there should be an ability to "hide" your name from popping, or even use "stealth hacking" to alter the name entirely, unless someone else got a counter-play to that and tags you with a skill that drops the "illusion" so to speak.

Also, the ability to hide is not an issue. The Devs can make the mouseover work only in close distances and requiring you to use a scoped weapo n to tag a target at further diistances, as you would, since the last time I checked you couldn't see 1,000 meters away with a x1 scope on an SMG :P So, there's the sniper aspect of the game, a guy who can see you but you can't see him, not until they hit you that is. Just pop a minimap indicator on the HUD to show you were you are being hit from, no?

But in any case, what Yama said stands true in my opinion. Names should be displayed only when you initiate "locking" on someone for combat, or scanining them actively for their name, so cities won't be having a permanet green glow aoove player-height :P

Then it would be cool to mess with the implant like hacking or removing the entire thing.

Then it would be cool to mess with the implant like hacking or removing the entire thing.

You couldn't upgrade skills if you did that due to the lore. You would be locked to one skill tree without any chance or repurposing your skillpoints.

But if there is plastic surgery then then a software won't recognise you from look.

there are more ways to identify people than by facial features, though.

general bone structure, gait, behaviour, voice, preferences.

there are many many ways you can put together unique identifiers from non-obvious characteristica.

there are more ways to identify people than by facial features, though.

general bone structure, gait, behaviour, voice, preferences.

there are many many ways you can put together unique identifiers from non-obvious characteristica.

Not to mention, FutureSpace x-ray DNA scannings. If in DUAL they mastered quantum probabilities to save our asses at the moment of death, then I don't see why not have x-ray DNA readouts. :D

Whenever I think of stealth I think of ship technology. So when I saw this post about personal stealth ideas it got me thinking. Yes, there is the situation with names coming up over a player but I want to put out other ideas for espionage. 

(1) Be able to steal or forge a key card in order to get into a door.

(2) Like previously stated, by others, have an invisibility suit. (One can be seen at close range but it is good to get past some things) 

(3) Have a hacking device that can obscure doors, machines, or even people's "radar"

Apologies if this is not exactly on topic and apologies if this has already been said. I did not read all the comments.

Lets consider a hypothetical situation where you are doing a "off-the-record" operation, where the mission demands you to not give away your identity, maybe you are stealing important information, maybe destroying enemy's resources or whatever it is that you are doing but when you engage in combat or if anybody sees you, you are essentially identified and it takes away all the excitement from such missions cause then there is no need to do that if you are easily identified.
What I think the best solution would be to have a personal ID for everyone which you can give access to whom you wish, the ID will contain basic information of a player like name, guild, base planet or whatever and even there is an option of customizing that ID to give limited information away, so unless you have given access to someone who has not seen your ID, you are essentially an unknown person to them where nothing about you is known to them, I mean I think according to me that would be a real sort of immersion that I would love in a game and give a whole new field to play when it comes to military operations.

Lets consider a hypothetical situation where you are doing a "off-the-record" operation, where the mission demands you to not give away your identity, maybe you are stealing important information, maybe destroying enemy's resources or whatever it is that you are doing but when you engage in combat or if anybody sees you, you are essentially identified and it takes away all the excitement from such missions cause then there is no need to do that if you are easily identified.

What I think the best solution would be to have a personal ID for everyone which you can give access to whom you wish, the ID will contain basic information of a player like name, guild, base planet or whatever and even there is an option of customizing that ID to give limited information away, so unless you have given access to someone who has not seen your ID, you are essentially an unknown person to them where nothing about you is known to them, I mean I think according to me that would be a real sort of immersion that I would love in a game and give a whole new field to play when it comes to military operations.

So true.