Image Capture, Video Record Software Suggestions?

MookMcMook

Looking at the video, it looks to me that DU will be a fun game to collect "photos" in game and that sort of thing, maybe gifs and even videos too. The whole space tourism thing.

What software can the DU community (Noveans), particularly those experienced with using such, suggest for use for this purpose with DU running?

If you want to record video of any type, you should use OBS (studio version): https://obsproject.com/ 

It's free, open source, and works incredibly well. I've recorded countless hours of not only DU but many other games with it. 

Don't spend a dime on any recording software because ultimately you're just going to find yourself back at OBS. 

If you have a newer Nvidia GPU, I would suggest you use Shadowplay, so you can press a button to save the past 5-20 minutes of action at any time, with pretty decent video quality for the most part (if you set the maximum bit-rate allowed in the settings).

However if you don't have access to Shadowplay, I suggest recording with OBS. You can configure it to function similar to shadowplay, easy to figure out with google for the most part.

Once you have your recorded footage you will want to use 'Handbrake' to encode it into a smaller file-size without noticeable loss in video quality. You need to do this if you are recording with Shadowplay as the files are, while compressed with your onboard H264 chip, still massive. However if you're using OBS, you can configure the encoder to already compress the footage to a reasonable size for editing/uploading.

If you want crystal-clear 1080p footage, use OBS. If you want general gameplay video that's good enough for YouTube and doesn't have a very noticeable impact on your system performance and game-play experience, use ShadowPlay.

As shadow play user I think, given the elaboration on OBS, it's worth taking a look. 

If it results in the same or better visual quality while resulting in smaller file sizes (and isn't much harder or annoying to utilize), then it is better on my book. 

Shadowplay has the advantage to use less processing for the same quality level, but it lacks several OBS functionalities.

All in all, I found that I prefer OBS, because Shadowplay was not working on some situations, but raw quality would be better with Shadowplay.

Regards,

Shadow