A New Life - Part One

Quinn23

I didn’t have anyone to program into the computer to greet me when I woke up. It was supposed to be a luxury, something to ease us back into life after our deep freeze, a friendly voice. From the faces I saw, it was anything but. There were more tears and anger than anything else. The few popsicles who were able to freeze with someone they loved, or at least someone they knew, they had it better. For me, the metallic computer voice was a luxury. I didn’t have to think about anything left behind, not that I had anything or anyone to leave behind.

It was pure luck I got on the ship. They were calling them arks, I remember there being some kind of uproar about naming the ships after a specific religious foundation. Some thought it insensitive considering how many different religions there were. But they were wrong. Most people didn’t know what an ark was, a temporary river boat. Something to get from here to there and then to throw away. That’s what these were, temporary river boats. Only the river was space and here was our planet, Earth, about to be destroyed. There was God who knows where. And who the hell knew how long it would take us to get there. Would we even know? Would the computer tell us? Did it matter?

It’s funny how people find religion when they are faced with extinction. I was never a religious man. Not that I didn’t believe in something. I just didn’t know what I believed in. I heard more than one person thanking Allah, others Yahweh, and a multitude of other gods. I didn’t know who to thank.

My freezer was marked JQ23 – Winston. That was someone from the past. It wasn’t the future. It sure as hell wasn’t me. None of the people here would know Winston, nor would they know me. I didn’t want to know either. But I'd take my name from the freezer marker, my one acknowledgement of the events that lead to this fortunate point. A new planet. A new chance. A new life. I’d call myself Q23.