Enterprise/Industry/Interplanetary free market system laws between nations?

Hi, I started reading up on this game a while ago and what really appealed to me was the potential for emergent gameplay.   How in-depth would the mechanics for becoming a business and expanding your company be? Will there be logistics, assembly lines, engaging employment for players looking for belonging? What I don't want is an absolute monopoly that is controlled by a single organisation or NPC. I have aspirations for establishing a ship manufacturing company; is this possible? The idea is that the market will be split between many hundreds of player-made organisations and anyone can join and export their product without high risk of bankruptcy and failure. 

Hi, I hope I'm not riding piggy-back with a part answer and part question.

As I understand it, the creator of any particular item will get a blueprint so that copies can be made and become known as genuinely produced using that particular blueprint (bp). I think the plan is to allow copy blueprints as well in some way, so that manufacturing can take place in other places too by selected other people.

What I have not heard about is how much protection the item has from others copying the design in a slightly different way, maybe the LUA scripting involved etc. That is what I would like to know more about...

A related question might be whether created bps might have some kind of brand protection in their name, so that you know that various different items come from the same company. That's starting to be rather specific, however ;)

Hi and welcome

The market is Like in eve. Buy and sell orders. If you want to sell stuff, be cheaper than others or Strike deals. Remember that there are no npcs, only market bots which will buy stuff from players to start the economy. 

So yes you can build and sell ships and there will be production lines too (3D fabricators) which can produce elements from material and blueprints.

The market is entirely run by players though 

Hello High Arbiter Maxim and welcome to the forums.

I'd like to give you two answers for your questions, the first being the short one:

Yes you can.

The second one being the long version. I'd like to tell you how I as legate of a ship building corporation see the game, how the current situation in the community is and what is planned for the game in that aspect. I think that will answer all the concerns that lie beyond your questions.

1 hour ago, High Arbiter Maxim said:

How in-depth would the mechanics for becoming a business and expanding your company be?

I'm director of the currently second largest  third largest by now industrial corporation in the community, focusing in ships and hovercrafts. We have established our own internal 'hierarchy' and structure for the corporation, so there's leadership positions, different roles to fill and multiple branches and divisions. Over the past year, we have expanded this structure a lot and we're still not done. We have thought about a lot of mechanics to pay members / employees and reward them, how we track internal progression and how we delegate tasks and work. The system has become quite thorough by now and we can surely say there's a certain depth behind it. 

Will there be logistics, assembly lines, engaging employment for players looking for belonging?

We're one of around 4, maybe 5 larger corporations that are generally known in the community. In order to rise attention, we publish advertising, we post messages on community boards and discord servers and we show presence wherever we can. Naturally, also in order to recruit more members because there's a good amount of competition. 
When we get applications, we usually receive them from a form on our website. We read through them and sometimes decide to invite these applicants to a voice interview on our Discord server where we explain how the corporation works and what they can do in our corporation. Logistics are one of many possibilities, we have one of three branches dedicated to logistics, production (or assembly in your case) and resources. The other branches are dedicated to military defense and research and development.

What I don't want is an absolute monopoly that is controlled by a single organisation or NPC.

As there are many organizations in the community, there's also always multiple orgs of the same kind. There are several nations, several corporations, several communities, it's rare for an org to be the only one of its kind. For this reason, it's especially difficult to establish something like a monopoly. There might me a market leader or a nation with the largest military, but there is always competition from many sides, even outside their own category. New organizations and with them new competition are created on a daily basis. Feel free to give it a shot on your own, as long as you are dedicated enough I'm content you can end up among the top few corporations as an early member of DU. The market is completely open and completely fair so far, it's a chance you can take. If you do, I wish you best of fun with it. 

Ultimately, it is exactly as you say or expect. NQ's vision of the game only supports this. 

2 hours ago, High Arbiter Maxim said:

I have aspirations for establishing a ship manufacturing company; is this possible? The idea is that the market will be split between many hundreds of player-made organisations and anyone can join and export their product without high risk of bankruptcy and failure. 

1) Yes, it's possible - why wouldn't it, by default or on paper? However...

2) (I made the relevant part in the quote bold) ... there can be no guarantee that your services and products will find clients, customers, etc. You get the picture. And that's fine in a player run economy. Another one's loss is another man's profit, or something like that.

There should be no guarantee, at least not any "coded in" form of some guarantee. It should solely depend on how you market something and who (and how) you approach. And then timing maybe.

Certain risks should simply be there. If another was there earlier and got the relevant contacts, especially in some niche market, then you might have a bad time. Adapt or change course completely. There will be enough competition later on, surely with hundreds (if not many more) of player orgs, but in some areas, there might just be a few. Who really can tell at this time? But at the end of the day, one thing is certain: If you found an organization and want to offer certain services or products, there's always some economic risk. Someone could be faster, better, bigger than you or there may simply not be enough demand in whatever you intend to offer. That's (market) life.

But if it motivates you: We might find a use for certain ships later and do not intend to produce everything ourselves or at least not design everything ourselves. If you want to throw out offers or are interested in hearing a bit, send me a PM. If my inbox is miraculously full (again) by the time (if) you send one, mention it here and I'll make some space.

1 hour ago, dualism said:

A related question might be whether created bps might have some kind of brand protection in their name, so that you know that various different items come from the same company. That's starting to be rather specific, however ;)

"

Hello.

That will largely depend on the 'signature & permissions' mechanics of the game. With the Rights, Duties & Management System however, you should be able to see the entity granting permissions listed at the top of the hierarchy. Granted, it would be more aesthetic to see the logo and name of an organisation centred at the top of the blueprint, possibly with the organisation's slogan. You can put in a request for that, if you wish.

In essence, you will be able to able to buy and sell, as Lethys and Croomar pointed out. I think it's only logical that blueprints be treated as commodities either through direct purchase and sale within a market bubble or contracts that can be accepted and retrieved.

Below are two links you can read at your leisure about the RDMS and organisation permissions. 

Cheers."

Thanks for the above two links on the subject of tags, which shows some of the possibilities for company complexity and operation.

Am I right in assuming that this will also enable the management of quanta between players if they wish, right down to the level of the three(?) avatars each account will have, if they form a lowest-level subset organisation with asset management tags together?