Distribution Model?

Guest Tekdout

Initial Distribution will be stand-alone from any of the major PC Platforms.

After a time, who knows. 
It would be good for convenience sake to have it on Steam or GOG or something, but they've never really handled P2P games too well. 

Eventually it will come to Steam, everything eventually does, even if it's a decade or more late.

Eve Online has had a Standalone client, but they're also plugged into Steam and can accept subscriptions through it for people who prefer to pay that way. 

It's arguably the largest pc game distribution platform on the planet, so there's certainly an audience that could be targeted by offering it there. 

It doesn't really matter to me how it's distributed, I'm not an elitist about the installation method. 

Vote against steam and for standalone too, though I don't believe the devs called for our opinion on this, and likely already have plans. Steam only ever creates issues with the games that run on it. The only reason to use it, is because a lot of games are on it. Personally though, I would ALWAYS check websites like GOG before steam, primarily to support non DRM content and developers, and if the game is available on both, I would always go with GOG even if it costs more, for the same reason. 

Nyzaltar responded about this issue in another thread before:

"Hi Legate and welcome! :)

Releasing Dual Universe on Steam is being considered (but no promise at the moment).
If we go for Steam at some point, it won't be before Beta (so not before 2018).
The client would be available on the Steam store, a bit like EvE Online.
This approach wouldn't be led by greed. It would just give more visibility to the game. It's a no brainer: Steam platform gives visibility.
And to see more players joining the game is never a bad thing, especially when the game is centered around player activities.

We are aware that Early Access on Steam are seen with more and more suspicion as developers ask to pay for products far from being finished and the only games who got positive feedback were the games nearly complete or not far away of the official launch. That's why we won't rush a Steam release in any case.

We also make a clear distinction between Early Access and Crowdfunding support.

From our point of view:
- Early Access should be equal to selling a game, not completely finished but already fun to play and fairly stable. In other words, at least a game that has reached Beta. Those who buy a game in Early Access are consumers who buy a product to play a bit in advance prior to the official release.
- Crowdfunding is meant for people who want to help the project and support, people to have suggestions to make to improve the game, etc. They can access the game right from early stages, in order to provide feedbacks that could be taken into account into the dev roadmap. But there are here more as supporters willing to help improving the game than consumers in the first place (but they deserve, of course, the same respect as other consumers!): they understand they are going to enter a game that isn't a nearly finished product or that the fun is not completely there yet.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar."

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/820-if-i-may-ask/?p=6825