The new settlers

Marcovitch

Hello everyone .
I know this has already been discussed but I would like to emit my idea.

As new settlers and new arrival on Arkship.
I wish there was a little story on our arrival with a kind of tutorial to show the base but that would turn more like this:

You arrive on the planet of the beginning you have an old space of a very old mission of exploration, no sign of life but food (you are alone). According to your calculations, you have approximately 45 days of rationing (imagine).
Your mission after 45 days will be to learn the basics of the game, to explore arkship, then to die or to be able to leave and create your new habitat, station ...
I invent nothing, I look alone on March I find the idea and context excellent as starting DU.

I am aware that this has probably already been explain and work, I also know that the game is in multiplayer.

10 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

People who expect to get things done within an hour in DU should really not even log in. DU will not be a casual 'hour here/hour there' kind of game. To get ahead and progress one will need to both commit and dedicate time.

Can you site any sources for this information.  I can just as definitively state that the sky is purple, but it wouldn’t make it true.  

Now, I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m just trying to be clear that this is your opinion based on your ideas of what the game will be.

While it is my opinion it would seem to me just about any available video or resource would confirm this. So unless someone did not really do any sort of research into the game concept this should be obvious.

Now your impression or opinion may be different obviously but I feel mine pretty much aligns with available resources.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

I feel mine pretty much aligns with available resources.

The contrary would be strange.

If I remember correctly, NQ stated a few times that they want a game for dedicated and casual players (see skill training and protection mechanisms for examples).

For me, organizations will be an easy way for casual players especially. A bit like EvE blue donuts: "log in whenever you want, we have a fight ready for you" is their MOTO.

Regards,

Shadow

DU will very much so be a “survival” game.  Whether it be from other players, or the environment (they wish to implement food).  Similarly it would be interesting if we had to implement heat generators and whatnot imho.  Too cold?  RIP.  Maybe your friends can thaw you out?

I’ve never gotten the gist that things will be quick in DU, not sure if I’m in error there.  It’s hard to determine if NQ means it will take a long time out of the gate, or when a strong infrastructure is in place as well.

5 hours ago, Hades said:

DU will very much so be a “survival” game.  Whether it be from other players, or the environment (they wish to implement food).  Similarly it would be interesting if we had to implement heat generators and whatnot imho.  Too cold?  RIP.  Maybe your friends can thaw you out?

A survival game includes the need to eat, keep warm etc otherwise you die. AFAIK DU will not impliment this and doesnt intend on doing it a later date.

I wouldnt enjoy DU if a survival mechanic was introduced. As our avatars have much more important things to do than eat n sleep.

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

A survival game includes the need to eat, keep warm etc otherwise you die. AFAIK DU will not impliment this and doesnt intend on doing it a later date.

I wouldnt enjoy DU if a survival mechanic was introduced. As our avatars have much more important things to do than eat n sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

) Don't expect a whole part of the gameplay centered on Pets.

Because:
a ) while it can in some cases add a little something to the immersion, this is not a part of the current game vision.
b ) It's an incredibly time consuming and expensive content to develop if you want to do it well.

(Side note: this has been one of the biggest features developped in the 4th expansion of a popular MMORPG involving murlocs, just for comparison ;)).

c ) We make a difference between "Pets" (as creatures following the Player Character and having only a cosmetic or mini-game purpose) and "Wild Beasts" (as creatures that can be tamed and having a practical usefulness in the game once tamed. This category is also generally called "Hunter Pets", "Animal Companions", or "Familiars" in other MMORPGs). Gameplay about taming wild beasts might appear at some point in Dual Universe, but if that's the case, it will be after the official release, again for priority and budget reasons. While it makes sense in a game oriented exclusively on survival to focus on that, Dual Universe will probably have a survival component but keep in mind it's meant to be also oriented towards other kinds of gameplay.

Hi everyone,

As you may know, this artwork is one of the first posted about Dual Universe.

Having Hunting game mechanics was an early idea. It's one we still have in mind, but as the project is developping, it's not currently considered in the first priorities. 

While the team is giving some thoughts about implementing survival game mechanics, knowing in which order will be implemented some "gameplay bricks" is still in discussion, so it's hard to tell - at the moment - where exactly it could fit:

- Resource Gathering, Voxel Building, Crafting, Construct Piloting are the earliest Bricks.

- Range Combat Mechanics (Character vs Character, PvP & PvE), Death Mechanics and Basic Territory Management will probably follow (the order isn't set in stone yet)

- Survival Mechanics - including Hunting - might be somewhere after the bricks mentioned above. 

However, taming and using tamed animals as mounts isn't currently on the roadmap.

We are aware this feature has been very popular in some recent sandbox games, but as this no trivial feature, we prefer to focus on our main features first.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Will it be possible to adjust for short period of time some abilities by eating some food (buffing) without the need to train in the Arkship? For example a soldier takes some drugs for increasing his aim and stamina before engaging a battle. Same for pilots.

It's an interesting idea and we will discuss it with the game design team! We have for the moment no plan to have food introduced at release, but rather in a "survival" expansion that would come later.

Will it be possible to create this food from NPC animals and flora and oil? This could add the option for protect of valued animals, who need grass, sun and water for living, and having ground control to protect them in your own farm (what you cannot hide in underground).

These are all excellent ideas and we will consider them, but not for the initial release, but more in the "survival" expansion that would come later.

Is there really anything here for the PVE crowd? With limited mobs in game, Is PVE basically limited to mining and stockpiling for PVP battles?

We will add simple fauna at start, and we will gradually add more and more content along the line of PvE, but the more substantial activities will come from players themselves: building stuffs, participating to building stuffs by helping secure areas, explore to find minerals or artefacts/ruins (more about that later, it will be linked to the uncovering of new Safe Zones). In some future expansion, we have ideas to also add farming, and some survival aspects.

Cheers,
Comrademoco

Still could use some or any survival element. Otherwise we're just bots, flinging tech magic powered by nothing.

Don't call a game hard if the only challenge is being social with others and achieving flight. A grind is not a challenge. Having enough power in your suit to do your quantum voodoo, is a challenge.

I think I'm misleading more than one ... I'm not talking about creating a survival game far from it I'm talking about a frame, a story, a context with a tutorial of what to immerse the player in total immersion.
45 days of rationing I talk about matter or an environmental problem, I agree with you DU is a game where investment time must be important to be able to enjoy the game.

Fan history is very good for launching the player and also helps to find that way (profession, style of play, goal).
In addition I find it more attractive if I send you on such planet and coal.

So I wanted to know if there was already a frame of planned with tutorial or what was under development or non-existent or subject to competitions.

See further

I just wanted to throw my 2-cents into this discussion...

Although I enjoy the idea of making this a more survival-esk game, I feel that it can easily be done without resorting to things like hunting and food. For example, resource management that makes more sense in this universe might be things like energy, oxygen, fuel, temperature, etc. Your suit/base handles your basic human needs as long as it is powered. So long as you can breath you can survive, and as long as you have fuel you can travel/generate additional power. This is just an example.

Also, I highly disagree with railroading the first portion of the game behind something along the line of the tutorial. Unless it is skipable or has a non-trivial purpose, if you assume you game for a few hours a day and it takes you an hour or so to complete the tutorial you are basically paying money to do a tutorial.

2 hours ago, Marcovitch said:

how derived from a subject ^^ ...

Actually the point he makes is a valid one and relates to the topic of the thread. How do you see having a forced 45 day 'tutorial' when players are expected to come in and pay a monthly fee? Unless NQ allows for a trial period the duration of your tutorial the suggestion is not viable to begin with.

While it needs refining, the existing tutorial is fine and should be enough (no details because NDA). I actually like the EVE-esque style of "Here's the basics and how to do it. Got that? Good, now piss off and figure this out yourself"

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Actually the point he makes is a valid one and relates to the topic of the thread. How do you see having a forced 45 day 'tutorial' when players are expected to come in and pay a monthly fee? Unless NQ allows for a trial period the duration of your tutorial the suggestion is not viable to begin with.

While it needs refining, the existing tutorial is fine and should be enough (no details because NDA). I actually like the EVE-esque style of "Here's the basics and how to do it. Got that? Good, now piss off and figure this out yourself"

On top of all that, the whole (my assumed) point of the arkship is that we (the collective playerbase) all spawn in one area.  Being able to work together and shoot for the stars.  (Sorry for the cliche).  There’s nothing stopping you from finding an untraveled area of Alioth and enacting a 45 day solo survival... just to see if you can.

Otherwise NQ could just spawn us at random throughout the protected areas on alioth.  This would be more forgiving on the server tech I am sure.

A shorter “instanced” tutorial would be something that I think is viable.  But not a forced 45 day survival instance, just enough to get a player acquainted the tools and layout of DU.  Furthermore, it should be optional.

Interesting idea's but I don't think you will sell most players on a 45 day tutorial idea or Lore type quest for 45 days seeing that one minimum subscription would be like 30 days ! In my personal experience most mmo types or NOT into survival type games and don't want to worry about dying because your character did not eat or was too hot or cold . In most open world games people want to learn the basics in a hour or less and start exploring or building things not to forget there will be pvp! I am 100% for PvE content but would vote against too much survival game mechanics. 

Thank you for your answers
For 45 days I put 45 as a random number (personally I would burrow the tutorial to explore as quickly ^^)
But the cinematic history of our arrival here more basic tutorial could be interesting but it is only my humble opinion.

20 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I agree.

1. Orgs will make tutorials anyway... at some stage and maybe even in-game tutorials via lua.

2. Pure survival game mechanics are too granular and not good at scaling. Whereas converting various inputs eg food into macro economic factors does tend to scale effectively for promoting mass scale interactions. Other survival mmos are grindy too with not enough uptick in fun for such grind.

3. Players need to having fun asap and socializing postively asap too.

4. Subsequent arkships for new starter zones seem likely in different areas in the future.

20 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Only thing i can say, i like this. Indeed a tutorial should be short. Why? because if a tutorial can be short, the mechanics are easy and well thought off. If you need a freeking long tutorial, your mechanics are wrong. One thing i would like is some form of semi corrupted info about the locations of the other arc ships, And a possibility of choosing a different location/ different arc ship, either now or in a later patch. Might be an idea to make a new starter planet at every patch, but then you cannot get to your friends, so a good system should kick in then.

@Aaron_Cain

It's how the current EVE New Player Experience works. You get a taste of the basics, get to see some of the available ships and options while going through it and then basically get to 'save the day', get killed and promoted to 'capsuleer status' which will allow you to transfer your consciousness into a new clone body and this is where your journey into the game starts. the whole thing is about 2 hours which is pretty much spot on for intro length IMO. While the game then give you the advice to seek out career agents to further your training you can just choose to be on your way (you can leave the tutorial at any time as well if you choose). Generally we would advise new players to do the NPE, the career agents and then find a corp that suits them to be further trained and supported by that corp. There's also several story arcs which will provide a way to learn and see the vast universe.

Dual Universe won't have PVE content (or at least there seem to not be current plans for this) so beyond the tutorial it's either dive in at the deep end and see for yourself (hard and probably limiting in options) or join an org which is really the only support structure available in the game.  I could see quite a few potential problems with that style of getting players into the game but we'll have to see how it develops. It is way too early to make any judgement on this as we're very far removed from getting there. 

While the safe zone around the ARC ship is all well and good, the game should IMO gently nudge players away from there though.                                                                        

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting topic.

On the survival theme, in my feeling, all ways could work well if they are supported by, at least, a good logic explanation (given by Novaquark) that we can accept.

For instance, we can imagine or assume that the eating issue has been solved technologically/evolutionarily, at some point before the arrival to Alioth, and people just dont need eating because -for example- they make sungazing (or prana absorbing) and that's it. Or they simply eat pills, made through a relatively easy process, using common substances.

Or they need to eat like us (and maybe go to the bathroom too, if we'd like to be VERY inmersive), and so they need to do agriculture, hunting, fishing and so on. Every option has its pros and cons, but the point for me is: IT HAS TO MAKE SENSE, and be properly explained. That's a core thing if we are talking about a pretty realistic/inmersive virtual game.

Sorry, I go to the bathroom (real food have fermented in my interiors).

:D