Semi-diary: Interactions of any/all mechanics and flowing discussion

dualism

13 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

So ship owner can probably just steal your items, as he has full rights to access all containers and edit RDMS. Thus only thing that protects your goods is the agreement between you and him.

Ok, yes, so on the honourable partnership side of things a ship owner can transfer your goods at a destination if you die - and it doen't block his/her storage bay.

In case of small constructs - probably to steal them someone need to blow up the core, then replace it with his own.

There won't be targeted damage though iirc, so it will be a case of destroy, salvage, rebuild (to a different bp)?

On NPCs/bots: I consider NPCs to always be platform side avatars, while bots on the plaftorm side can just be operations of some kind such as markets, and bots on the player side usually against the rules.

It will be interesting to see what scripting freedoms are, as scripts certainly automate functions and a player on acceptable autopilot is thus also a bot at that time.

It will be just enough to be called a auto pilot like follow some router which you have go first or just then. NQ have very strong against Auto doanything so script wont help much than go there then go to there, then go to over there...

6 hours ago, dualism said:

There won't be targeted damage though iirc

I've seen quite opposite NQ statements.

In one of video AMA JC said that "you can aim at specific part of a ship, unless it's too far for such precision - then damage will be dealt at random points".

There is also something in one of video devblogs "ATM only elements can be damaged, and damage propagate as shockwave, but we plan on per-voxel damage at release".

Some other words, but the meaning was the same.

7 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

NPC give chat chit, quest, ...
BOT none. It have only one job is exchange your ore into quanta and yet to give you other ore if you give them quanta. Nothing more. So in the end it isnt control by AI or anything, it just follow what it have been program to do.

10 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

NPC's have an avatar of some sort in a 3D environment, like DU, however there will not be any like that in DU. The only artificial characters will be those seeding the market and they, are bots. i.e. No more than a name on an buy/sell order.

I like bots better then 

I've seen quite opposite NQ statements.

(on targeted damage).

Oh, ty. What I'd read was about spaceship battles and calculating a hit chance rather than tracking the shot or whatever. I thought I'd also read about destruction of ships as a whole, but could be mistaken.

If you can specifically aim at each voxel (when close up?), then depending on how much of a shockwave your weap produces, you could be quite specific about trying to damage the core or an entrance to get inside maybe.

Just for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efu_129hI9o&t=600s Start around 10:00. At 10:20 he's saying "you'll be allowed to select place where you want to shoot".
Current damage model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4&t=180s Starts around 3:00.

I'm still searching for the one that mentioned "if you're too far, you aim at random point in the ship"

Thanks, good references (your t=x don't match by the way, but ppl can edit to 600s easily :) ).

He says to begin, element damage first, voxel damage will come after the alpha. I wonder if that means missing misses altogether and doesn't hit something else... behind or to the side.

Repairs look interesting too - I wonder if you will always need direct proximity or if you can repair from the pilot's seat, for example (see 3:06 of damage model vid). On big ships, can crews repair during ongoing battles?

I wonder too about being stuck in space with no working engines, or the ability to salvage/tow someone's ship. Might pirates grow varying degrees of honour about forcing you down to a planet or onto their ship for repairs, but not kill you or take all you have?

If NQ put so much effort into levels of damage, then there could be a lot of complexity in the gameplay too if done right...

Ech, this forum is weird. I prefer the old school, where you can see all the html code in edit window.

I hope that miss just mean that ray points certain distance away from the point you've aimed at. And hit whatever is there - other part of the ship, other ship, terrain, player character, empty space, ect.

My hope for repair is that you need to be close (2-5m max maybe?). So ships need to have internal corridors if you want to be able to repair them. Otherwise no combat ship will ever need to have maintenance tunnels.

Being stuck would be cool. Sending emergency calls into void, hoping that pirates won't be the first to come to "aid" you. Or just switching characters and sending rescue ship. Or calling specific service org.