Alioth Star System

Orius

I don't think Alioth star system is binary: In one of the dev interviews with JC, in god-mode they fly to the sun (it's not scaled corrected for game and other reasons) to demonstrate it's also a 3D object light-source thus leading to actual sunrise/set effects depending on angle of planet and sun with each other.

Who knows maybe we'll see a binary star system in another system? But then maybe the orbit effects might be a bit "heavy" to simulate?

edit: Here you go: at 10m40s :-

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Also will all bodies have atmospheres? That I find just unconvincing. More variety in planet types will be needed to make the game more interesting in the long run and part of that are planets/moons without atmospheres.

I did not notice any "atmosphere" in the other planets in the above type of videos. The only visible effect of atmosphere I've seen is:-

Alioth:-

1. In the flight seamless from "moon" to Alioth there's some "atmospheric entry" effects.

2. There's clearly swirling cloud effects* at various angles on the "3 letter acronym for graphics at distance thingy" arrgh "draw distance thing!":unsure:

Did you see something else? There's chemical suits in the twitter additionally...

* JC mentions in one vid that because they simulate things, then those weather effects are not just pictures but would be actual climate/weather across an entire planet (!) so a challenge to consider and add (but exciting too).

8 hours ago, MookMcMook said:

I did not notice any "atmosphere" in the other planets in the above type of videos. The only visible effect of atmosphere I've seen is:-

Alioth:-

1. In the flight seamless from "moon" to Alioth there's some "atmospheric entry" effects.

2. There's clearly swirling cloud effects* at various angles on the "3 letter acronym for graphics at distance thingy" arrgh "draw distance thing!":unsure:

Did you see something else? There's chemical suits in the twitter additionally...

* JC mentions in one vid that because they simulate things, then those weather effects are not just pictures but would be actual climate/weather across an entire planet (!) so a challenge to consider and add (but exciting too).

The DU website (dualthegame.com) has a list of the current planned planets. All of the planets in there for some reason has an atmosphere. Even if the code needed a valid atmosphere(i.e. 0 bars of atmosphere pressure will cause a divide by 0 error) it could be set to some arbitrarily low value.

4 hours ago, 0something0 said:

The DU website (dualthegame.com) has a list of the current planned planets. All of the planets in there for some reason has an atmosphere. Even if the code needed a valid atmosphere(i.e. 0 bars of atmosphere pressure will cause a divide by 0 error) it could be set to some arbitrarily low value.

That's true but still: the moon in that video clearly has no atmosphere (and you see the space engines kick in, NOT the armospheric ones, so yes there is a variety