Jump to content
unown006

Should automated static defences be added to duel universe?

Should automated static defences be added to duel universe? a means to a log off deffense system  

91 members have voted

  1. 1. Should automated static defences be added to duel universe?

    • Yes they are needed to balance the game
      69
    • Yes but there more nice to have but not needed
      10
    • No this would make orgs op and citys unraidable
      5
    • No this wouldnt be good for the game in general
      7


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vulcore said:

Without auto defense single players would not have a chance against large raiding parties.

 

Even with them, they don't (And shouldn't) stand a chance. First because balancing and second because one player!=100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lethys said:

Even with them, they don't (And shouldn't) stand a chance. First because balancing and second because one player!=100

Correct. All im looking go for is for a to be able to shoot back a bit so its not a free kill for a single seat attack ship, and not have to haul a gunner about with me on otherwise dull cargo runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would build a Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon. If it could shoot things, that would be an okay extra. If there won't be any static turrets, I would probably still build it at some point, so I think either way is alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Lethys in this, a single person should not be able to resist the hordes of BOO or TU or DSI or any organization +100.

If you want to go solo then dig in deep or be mobile but remember if you just sit on the surface you might get blown to pieces. That is what organizations are for and that also means single person organizations or smaller ones will in the end have a hard struggle or need to organize into something bigger else they will also be shot to pieces, specially if the location they picked is on of interest. Combine that with the possible expensive Territory units it is almost impossible to easily run a one man org or something close to that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

I agree with @Lethys in this, a single person should not be able to resist the hordes of BOO or TU or DSI or any organization +100.

If you want to go solo then dig in deep or be mobile but remember if you just sit on the surface you might get blown to pieces. That is what organizations are for and that also means single person organizations or smaller ones will in the end have a hard struggle or need to organize into something bigger else they will also be shot to pieces, specially if the location they picked is on of interest. Combine that with the possible expensive Territory units it is almost impossible to easily run a one man org or something close to that.

 

 

Absolutely  agree there.

 

What I want to avoid is there being no cost or risk to attacking a ship.

 

An unarmed ship is basically a pinata, no risk to hitting it on the off chance something good falls out.

 

If there is some form of defense on the target, you need to weigh up whether the loot you get from attacking is worth the damage you get in return, however minimal. Sure, a dedicated combat ship vs a freighter, 1 on 1, you should still win, but youll take a few hits in return, and that will cost a bit to repair.

 

With that in mind, if there is no automated option, you have 2 choices

 

1 - fit a manned turret, and only ever fly when youve got a friend willing to sit in your ship waiting to use it on the offchance something happens

 

2 - go unarmed entirely, and accept youre a going to be a pinata for anyone who fancies it.

 

I really dont see it as likely that we'll have large groups of players flying around hunting down lone ships. I think its much more likely that we'll see lone players or small groups of 2 to 3 doing that, and thats what im talking about these defenses being for - not to win the fight, but to give the attackers some form of consequence for attacking so they at least have to consider if attacking a target is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't seen where is the danger for a solo player who moving from point A to point B in space.
For several reasons :


1) It must be impossible for you to have an efficient Atmo / Space ship that allows you to move a big loot. You would be limited to almost the only volume of your inventory. Or a hundred m3 extra if you sacrifice any superfluous equipment (radar, weapon ..)
Two choices are available to you:

 

- You are in an organization:
If you want to make massive cargo, you will need atmo / space shuttles to load and unload your space cargo ship. You will need to be multiple players to secure an operation of this magnitude.

 

- You are a solo player:
You go alone in the space to go back and forth with a small volume. You do not need a weapon or someone handling them. Your chances of engaging in a fight with pirates in view of the size of the game area is around 0%.

 

2) How do you want a pirate fight you during your space travel ?
You will be launched at 30 000 km / h. Even if a pirate will spot you and waiting for you on your trajectory. With a weapon with a range of 100km, it him will take less than 12 seconds to align and descend you.
This slot goes down to 6 seconds if it faces you and goes at the same speed as you.

 

===


The only moment of vulnerability will be when approaching your place of arrival.

But at that time, you can count on merchant organization (like ours) to protect you during your deliveries if you use our markets ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 5:12 AM, Knight-Sevy said:

I don't seen where is the danger for a solo player who moving from point A to point B in space.
For several reasons :


1) It must be impossible for you to have an efficient Atmo / Space ship that allows you to move a big loot. You would be limited to almost the only volume of your inventory. Or a hundred m3 extra if you sacrifice any superfluous equipment (radar, weapon ..)
Two choices are available to you:

 

- You are in an organization:
If you want to make massive cargo, you will need atmo / space shuttles to load and unload your space cargo ship. You will need to be multiple players to secure an operation of this magnitude.

 

- You are a solo player:
You go alone in the space to go back and forth with a small volume. You do not need a weapon or someone handling them. Your chances of engaging in a fight with pirates in view of the size of the game area is around 0%.

 

2) How do you want a pirate fight you during your space travel ?
You will be launched at 30 000 km / h. Even if a pirate will spot you and waiting for you on your trajectory. With a weapon with a range of 100km, it him will take less than 12 seconds to align and descend you.
This slot goes down to 6 seconds if it faces you and goes at the same speed as you.

 

===


The only moment of vulnerability will be when approaching your place of arrival.

But at that time, you can count on merchant organization (like ours) to protect you during your deliveries if you use our markets ;)

I dont know why you assume a solo player wont be able to fly a cargo ship of some type. That being the case messes up a lot of what you say above.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if a solo player can drive a big cargo ship. He will be very vulnerable during the loading phase of his materials ...

 

Of course, on low-gravity planets it will not be too much of a problem that he will be able to put his cargoship on the ground in a secure base. But on a planet with a greater gravity (like the planet starter), he will not be able to do it.

 

I'm in a neutral trading organization, but if I see a solo player stay in the space out with a big cargo ship. And if I have two or three buddy connect I will go to strip him without delay. Especially if it's a player who does not use our trading area ;)

 

And I'm not talking about pirate organizations and some players who want to do pvp only.

 

The game can requires a solo player to play according to his abilities: use a small ship to override the radar or flee during an aggression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would a player nessesarily vulnerable during the loading of cargo if its done at a port?

 

Lots of assumptions.

 

A big ship could be as fast and maneuverable as a small ship if its fitted with proportional equipment as the small ship.(big engines etc).

 

The long haul overall speed of something big could also see it outrun smaller craft if the larger ship can absorb some damage.

 

So once again assumptions that may prove to be wrong.

 

We won't know for sure till DU is in beta and/or released  ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we will not be able to put a big cargo ship on a planet and leave with lots of ore as if nothing had happened.
To make a parrallel with the real world it takes 100kg of rocket and fuel to send 1kg to Mars.
Even if DU makes us use technologies with a better ratio, I hope that it will be difficult to extract astronomical quantities of ore from a planet by a single player.
This will leave the opportunity to work in a team: a cargo ship in space and shuttles for loading it.

 

There are several reasons that a player may be vulnerable if he has a very big ship.

 

We can imagine heating times more and more consistent for large engines (for balancing issues).
And to have a big ship as fast and manoeuvrable as a small thing it will certainly be at the sacrifice of a lot of element and can be of your capacity to take equipment. If you have to fill your big cargo only fuel that you will burn to move. it will not be very efficient.

 

But yes it remains theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

I'm in a neutral trading organization, but if I see a solo player stay in the space out with a big cargo ship. And if I have two or three buddy connect I will go to strip him without delay. Especially if it's a player who does not use our trading area ;)

If you rob another player, you are a pirate.  There is nothing wrong with that playstyle, but do not claim to be something you are not.  A trading organization earns it money by trading, not stealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ben Fargo said:

Si vous volez un autre joueur, vous êtes un pirate. Il n’ya rien de mal à ce style de jeu, mais ne prétendez pas être quelque chose que vous n’êtes pas. Une organisation commerciale gagne de l'argent en négociant et non en volant.

My organization is commercial, but I am a player like any other. I can have a minimum of independence as long as I do not harm my organization.

You will let me handle this with my legates;)

Nothing prevents to be a little aggressive towards the players not wishing to use my space of trade. A kind of "pizzo" mafia way. The game will not be friendly with players wanting to bet too big.
But will not be hacker everyone, it will be enough to be associated with a fairly influential organization to be safe enough.

If not to return to the topic of automatic turrets.
Here is what NQ said, I do not know if there is more recent but I have that in mind for the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efu_129hI9o&t=2m2s

"We could think in the future of this kind of thing that we could think of a little bit about it." be in the release and we will think about it and it's not something we can guarantee at the moment. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stripping players does not make you neutral it makes you a pirate or a thief and on my radar a target. And with the CATS and InA systems inplace you will be a target to all. You simple keep your hands off off peoples properties if you say your a nice and neutral business. Else your a thief, pirate, privateer, goverment official tax collector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now about the auto guns, yess if possible would be nice but NQ already said it would be in but alot less effective then manually handeled guns. When the city is finished it will have a an automated defence grid made by Robotic Industries and other Friends and combined with Radar and Enmity lists it will be fun to see the first blacklisted player getting in range. i do hope it will be possible to add target systems to the Lua as i prefer to shoot at cores and cockpits leaving the rest unharmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

i do hope it will be possible to add target systems to the Lua as i prefer to shoot at cores and cockpits leaving the rest unharmed

I would prefer to shoot elements that can't be fully coverd by heavy armor, for example adjustors and engines :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probobly yes but those elements can be havely protected by armor and without adjustor or engines craft will also crush :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

stripping players does not make you neutral it makes you a pirate or a thief and on my radar a target. And with the CATS and InA systems inplace you will be a target to all. You simple keep your hands off off peoples properties if you say your a nice and neutral business. Else your a thief, pirate, privateer, goverment official tax collector


One can always smoothly point the direction of a commercial port to a person who does not know it.

After that, it's just a story of collaboration.

 

In any case, we do not yet know what the possibilities and limitations of the system will be.

If your name is permanently displayed above your head, it will save a lot of things.

 

We must not forget the territorial system. Nobody will not come to you if he is not allowed. Except for a real fight after warning you 48 hours in advance ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For space cities there is no territorial system :P Thats why anything in space will need a 24/7 defense system running or it is doomed to fail. Unless NQ in its wisdom adds anything that has a similar function for dynamic structures in space, and that is not expected to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man its hard to see if this topic is under NDA or not on mobile. A quick reply here. I expect single players to not be an interesting target cant say more because NDA. About the turrets it might be interesting to have them fire at a slow rate and maybe not so accurate when not manned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had not thought of the cities of space. But yes, a 24/7 defense system is mandatory. (after yes, we will not be able to go further on the subject compared to the techno already on the game: NDA).

So, if we rely on JC's statements on the "" Ask Me Anything "" (source shown above): it's possible that it's not available, but only after the game's release ...

As mentioned elsewhere, the issue of system drift with fully automated military spacecraft taking part in combat will arise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be an NQ statement about automated turrets, cant remember where it is but i know they said something on it that was Not NDA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×