Should automated static defences be added to duel universe?

unown

Should automated static defences be added to duel universe? a means to a log off deffense system  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Should automated static defences be added to duel universe?

• Yes they are needed to balance the game
    • Yes but there more nice to have but not needed
    • No this would make orgs op and citys unraidable
    • No this wouldnt be good for the game in general

On 3/21/2018 at 5:00 AM, CalenLoki said:

I've been talking about manning gun in CvC.

Obviously in AvA (boarding) you can at least move, take cover, switch weapons, use some other tools/abilities.

Mass effect is an lock & fire game? I haven't played it, but from videos looks a lot like TPS with manual aiming.

Good to know

As I said with regards to underground bastions being accused of being OP:

There is almost always a strategy to defeat stuff like this.

Personally I would just throw a dummy made of very tough material right into the crossfire of all of the defenses causing the auto targeting to freak out and the  whole thing to waste their energy and potentially break down. How they counter that is up to them and how I reciprocate in response to their counter is up to me.

That's all if I absolutely had to take it out which isn't the case most of the time.

I really hope NQ does not start hand holding the players as it only encourages reptilian, one dimensional thinking and creates more instances of people saying "but wait this is also OP because I can't kill it"

6 hours ago, Veld said:

I really hope NQ does not start hand holding the players as it only encourages reptilian, one dimensional thinking and creates more instances of people saying "but wait this is also OP because I can't kill it"

This. People are always asking for handholding because "mimimi it's too hard, I can't kill/do it" - so what, think of a way to do it yourself or actually talk to others and ask them....just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean noone can

Fully agree on this. I hope NQ keeps all these things in the game, there should be no limitation on what people can build. If others want to take it down/conquer it it is their problem how to overcome all defences and if it is too hard, too deep, to well armored, too fast, too well thought off in design, Hooray to the designer/defender.

Any attacker in DU will need alot more creativity then the defender does if they want to attack any and all available targets. And thats great, nothing better to inspire creativity then pending failure.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, Veld said:

As I said with regards to underground bastions being accused of being OP:

There is almost always a strategy to defeat stuff like this.

Personally I would just throw a dummy made of very tough material right into the crossfire of all of the defenses causing the auto targeting to freak out and the  whole thing to waste their energy and potentially break down. How they counter that is up to them and how I reciprocate in response to their counter is up to me.

That's all if I absolutely had to take it out which isn't the case most of the time.

There will be a meta to take underground bases there aways is a meta 

On 4/8/2018 at 11:35 PM, Aaron Cain said:

Fully agree on this. I hope NQ keeps all these things in the game, there should be no limitation on what people can build. If others want to take it down/conquer it it is their problem how to overcome all defences and if it is too hard, too deep, to well armored, too fast, too well thought off in design, Hooray to the designer/defender.

Any attacker in DU will need alot more creativity then the defender does if they want to attack any and all available targets. And thats great, nothing better to inspire creativity then pending failure.

I agree

2 hours ago, unown006 said:

There will be a meta to take underground bases there always is a meta 

Not necessarily a specific meta. Tactics are only as effective as the enemy allows them to be. Meta is a term that applies to FPS games where balance is a major goal imo. Not like in DU where the diverse gameplay is not in the weapons used but in the players' stratagem.

It's term that apply to any item/strategy/tactics in any game that is way more effective than any other (Most Effective Tactics Available).

So it does apply to DU.

Unless you stay inside safe-zone without participating in PvP. But then it's more of a "sandbox" than "game".

I think static defenses are necessary. If you can't have some kind of way to defend your assets while offline, then people could just steal everything you work on when your offline, and that would be terrible, make the game not fun and not really help anyone. 

21 hours ago, Veld said:

Not necessarily a specific meta. Tactics are only as effective as the enemy allows them to be. Meta is a term that applies to FPS games where balance is a major goal imo. Not like in DU where the diverse gameplay is not in the weapons used but in the players' stratagem.

There are meta's to everything you can take eve rust or ark as examples or even SE

7 hours ago, Caesares said:

I think static defenses are necessary. If you can't have some kind of way to defend your assets while offline, then people could just steal everything you work on when your offline, and that would be terrible, make the game not fun and not really help anyone. 

Remember the TCU comes with a force field shield, so assuming you set up the access rights correctly nobody can simply walk in and take everything.

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

Remember the TCU comes with a force field shield, so assuming you set up the access rights correctly nobody can simply walk in and take everything.

No, a TCU is just that. A TCU which gives RDMS privileges. The protection bubble probably is an upgrade and dies not come with the TCU

8 minutes ago, Lethys said:

No, a TCU is just that. A TCU which gives RDMS privileges. The protection bubble probably is an upgrade and dies not come with the TCU

I dont know either due to not being in game and due to the NDA. So nobody at this point can say what does what - which is a problem to the discussion.

55 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

I dont know either due to not being in game and due to the NDA. So nobody at this point can say what does what - which is a problem to the discussion.

That info was in some Interview. Or the talk jc have in french..... can't quite remember

1 minute ago, Lethys said:

That info was in some Interview. Or the talk jc have in french..... can't quite remember

I would have missed it if it was in French since I can only speak Australian ;)

Regardless my original point stands as a player(s) can setup a force shield to prevent random strangers coming in and 'stealing stuff' - which i doubt could happen anyway due to the games Rights system. They might be able to blow shit up without a force filed bubble being online, but thats about it. (From what I know lol )

3 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Ah ok than I really don't know, static defenses could be a bit overkill. 

24 minutes ago, Caesares said:

Ah ok than I really don't know, static defenses could be a bit overkill. 

Nopes, static defenses also come into play when the shield fails, think of static defense like a second form of defense, walls/doors the third form, etc.

Just now, CoreVamore said:

Nopes, static defenses also come into play when the shield fails, think of static defense like a second form of defense, walls/doors the third form, etc.

Nono I get that, but I mean like really powerful static defenses, ones that could make it so that a player wouldn't have to organize players to rule a planet but just use a massive series of fortifications. Something like that sounds a bit extreme

39 minutes ago, Caesares said:

Nono I get that, but I mean like really powerful static defenses, ones that could make it so that a player wouldn't have to organize players to rule a planet but just use a massive series of fortifications. Something like that sounds a bit extreme

One player to rule a planet? Nopes, thats not going to happen, would be very unbalanced and not the way NQ is going.

There wont be any doomsday weapons/ weapons of mass destruction, which is implied by what you wrote above. Also you have to consider that you would have to earn the $$$ to power all the defenses. (Let alone build them in the first place). These are not something a single player can do.

The only thing you may be able to do this on is something like an asteroid. I can see lots of hermit asteroids popping up in DU, not just because its easier to say "MINE!" but also due to rich resources being outside of Alioth.

Hermits Unite!

hmmmm "Hermits United", now thats an org name ;) lol

57 minutes ago, Caesares said:

That is the end goal with time a org might be able to do that

21 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

The REAL use for static defenses would be for those that cannot afford to build/buy and maintain a force-field bubble.

The general opinion is that those force-field bubbles are going to be out of reach of single players and small orgs, due to their cost. The same applies to TCU's (territory control units).

If an attacking force was strong enough to bring down the shield bubble, then any "automated defenses" you have deployed will most likely be no more effective than a speed-bump...

13 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

If an attacking force was strong enough to bring down the shield bubble, then any "automated defenses" you have deployed will most likely be no more effective than a speed-bump...

And yet speed bumps, and walls, and doors all help to keep an enemy delayed, which can make all the difference.

1 hour ago, NanoDot said:

The general opinion is that those force-field bubbles are going to be out of reach of single players and small orgs, due to their cost. The same applies to TCU's (territory control units).

I don't think that's the general opinion.  Some people seem to think that, but according to NQ force-fields are intended to protect items while players are offline.  Big organizations aren't going to need these defenses as much because they're likely to have people online more often, and better defensive abilities.