Can a Organization control a complete planet

Occultist

2 hours ago, Ben Fargo said:

I would imagine any organization large enough to defend a planet from intruders would have the resources to create enough TCU's to cover it.  Alioth for example has over 50,000 tiles and I would expect an organization would need at least one member per tile to defend a planet effectively.  The real number will probably be higher than that, but that is still a huge organization.  If the organization has not claimed all the tiles, then any organization that manages to sneak  or fight their way in will be able to place their own TCU.  While the intruder's claim would probably not last long, it would still be easier for the organization controlling the planet to place their own.

Actually i'd imagine you could use patrols to cover large areas. 1 man per tile sounds like a weird setup, you'd probably make a few groups of 5-10 and give them fast vehicles of any kind. Lets say they patrol the planet every week, it shouldn't be too hard to pass through all 50 000 tiles with this method, every group making their way through a few dozen tiles in one go, i doubt you'd even need to cover every exact tile if you can see adjacent ones as well. Not to mention it might just be to prevent rivals from settling on your planet, harmless individuals who may live underground alone which you'll never find doesn't even have to be counted.

What I said was somewhat unclear.  I did not mean one person would be located in each tile.  I was guessing the size of an organization that would be needed to defend a planet and I think it would need at least as many members as tiles.  I agree they would be organized into patrols, but there would need to be enough to keep the whole planet under constant surveillance.  Most members will probably only play a few hours a day and some will be administrators and support people, so I am assuming the number actively patrolling at any time would be much less than the total number of members.  They would need to have constant surveillance to keep anyone from quickly claiming unclaimed tiles.   Even if the organization has the strength to defeat anyone who makes those claims,  doing that would probably take more resources than making a TCU for the tile themselves.

59 minutes ago, Ben Fargo said:

What I said was somewhat unclear.  I did not mean one person would be located in each tile.  I was guessing the size of an organization that would be needed to defend a planet and I think it would need at least as many members as tiles.  I agree they would be organized into patrols, but there would need to be enough to keep the whole planet under constant surveillance.  Most members will probably only play a few hours a day and some will be administrators and support people, so I am assuming the number actively patrolling at any time would be much less than the total number of members.  They would need to have constant surveillance to keep anyone from quickly claiming unclaimed tiles.   Even if the organization has the strength to defeat anyone who makes those claims,  doing that would probably take more resources than making a TCU for the tile themselves.

It's gonna be a tough task for sure but i doubt you need an org sized one member per tile. I'd imagine a hundred men could if given the neccessary resources (vehicles + fuel) survey the hole planet regularly (once a week or something). It remains to be seen of course, but i am fairly optimistic about it since i've done similar things elsewhere like in Arma 3 RP where we had multiple police patrols covering the map, there were blindspots of course but in general most of the map had eyes moving about and decent response times.

Once per week may be too slow - in that time they can already take several tiles and reinforce them with shields.

And don't forget timezones - your prime may be theirs too (or not) and due to that it also means that an org with 100 ppl will only have 10-15 online at all times. There will maybe be 70-80 online for a planned thingy - all that is taken from my xp from eve.

Logoff traps with constructs won't happen in DU, but if people only manage to police an area once per week (and not every day) I can already see AVA logoff traps.

I spent years in EVE seeding capitals to WH systems (2 at a time -> wh closes -> search for the next entrance which may take several days -> seed next 2 caps -> repeat) and preparing logoff traps with alt accs (which stayed logged off for months) only to kill and bait people into a fight. And I'll do it in DU too - it's just too hilarious :D

To really secure an entire planet my guess is 1000 ppl (minimum) so that there are 100 ppl online at any given time to respond quickly. And don't forget that out of those 100, there may be 50 builders, 20 miners and only 10 or 20 ppl with pvp experience

Ofc this doesn't apply to all organisations. I think however that you will end up having to prioritise. Having main bases and a city possibly that you constantly have survelliance in and then the empty lands you patrol more seldom.

If you had TU units down, would you really even need to patrol? Since no one could build without blowing one up, and DU has mentioned email notifications for shields (surely some form of notification for TU units? or could see on the map that its not blue any more?), so surely you should be able to assess the state of your territory without physically going to each unit. 

Also, not to be cliche, but space is vast. If you find a remote enough system, shouldn't you have it to your self, at least for a time? Or at least theoretically possible. 

2 hours ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

If you had TU units down, would you really even need to patrol? Since no one could build without blowing one up, and DU has mentioned email notifications for shields (surely some form of notification for TU units? or could see on the map that its not blue any more?), so surely you should be able to assess the state of your territory without physically going to each unit. 

Also, not to be cliche, but space is vast. If you find a remote enough system, shouldn't you have it to your self, at least for a time? Or at least theoretically possible. 

Well i was talking about patroling a whole planet, not what you have TU units on

And yes go remote enough and you might be undisturbed for a long time on one

2 hours ago, PyroTechnica said:

You only need TU’s on cities and fortifications. For most of the planet you can rely on controlling through fear by havin a massive military that can force anyone off the planet. Just destroy anyone who try’s to contest space. 

Constant pressuring is itself going to take a toll. Agree.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, PyroTechnica said:

You only need TU’s on cities and fortifications. For most of the planet you can rely on controlling through fear by havin a massive military that can force anyone off the planet. Just destroy anyone who try’s to contest space. 

Well that's like the double edged sword and what's stopping a group of enemy's from using the same tactic. It still early and things can change in game but right now what's stopping enemy's from dropping prefabricated bases near all your cities and bases over night ? Its why some like me probably would suggested something like a small  sphere of influence which would not stop people from building near you but keep a enemy from being able to put up a fortress base next to you over night . Land sphere of influences can be use for many tactical or economical needs without being over powered but I will save that for another time!   =)