Can a Organization control a complete planet

Occultist

Maybe in wrong box, it need to change to general discussion .

But well for your answer: Yes, they can.

If they have enough human resource, resource and can be stability  ( like good organize your org to prevent corruption ) and unity why they cant ?

But it is very hard to keep unity and stability when you go to that point lmao.

2 minutes ago, Chugy said:

Okay....and what do you say about this.
Can a organization get ALL places in the Arkship zone ? When they are the fastest organization ?
Yeah, i see it. Its the wrong box sry.

In theory yes. 

But real life and real interactions would make that endeavor extremely messy. 

You can worry about it if you want but the chance of that happening is extremely small. 

Possible, but most unlikely. For the starting zone at least. 

It is unlikely that a faction will be able to muster that huge manpower, coordination and cohesion over other orgs also trying to get a piece of the cake. 

And even then, post-control political pressure from competing or comparable groups might mean they don't keep it forever. 

As for "fair", Necromonger motto: You keep what you kill, aka you get what you deserve. 

Eventually, orgs will be able to 'control' planets and maybe even a system. All they need is enough presence/manpower/resources to push all contendors off the planet. They don't need to cover the whole planet in TUnits. And I don't see NQ stepping in at all because someone complaint that its unfair that an org owns x planet.

5 hours ago, Warden said:

As for "fair", Necromonger motto: You keep what you kill, aka you get what you deserve. 

Eh, not entirely true in this case. Can’t kill someone and take their safe plot ;).  It’s actually pretty funny, just watched chronicles of riddick last night.

Large organizations dominating safezones is an issue (one that I don’t think is necessarily bad).  

However, I do believe organizations owning large swaths of a safezone can be a GOOD thing.  Not every single player needs an entire plot of land, they simply need a place to lay their construct to sleep at night ^^.  Perhaps someone will offer a place to land for a small weekly/monthly fee.

A bunch of single ad hoc players owning land pretty much means there won’t be any system order or infrastructure for the area. They’ll simply implement what they need for themselves... and nothing more as they don’t have the manpower to open up a market, or anything of that nature.  And the fact of the matter is, many would remain barren 

I think it’s more important for large organizations to own chunks of the safezone than it is for someone like me to own such.

9 hours ago, Chugy said:

Can you say me....

Can a organization control a complete planet ? With all places ? Or say Novaquark....STOP this is NOT FAIR ?!
Or for the example that a organization is dominating a complete planet ?

In theory, yes. This plausible, however, it will be resource-heavy maintaining and keeping the TCUs online. 

It will take a lot of time, resources and money for even a large organization, to be at a quarter or fifth of that, let alone the whole planet.

Is it fair? Debatable. (A good discussion about the pros and cons of controlling a whole planet would be nice to see) 

~ Meldrik

1 minute ago, CoreVamore said:

Just remember that controlling doesnt mean pushing everyone else out, it just means that they are the rule makers ....

Of course, but they need the ability to push someone out. Whether it be an economical or physical leverage.

Sure, it's going to be possible by some of the larger Orgs, but then that's part of the game.  I doubt most of them will be making it a living hell for anyone else who wants to live there though.  They would probably be inviting people to move in, set up towns and cities and all of that.

Now if a really big pirate org  (not naming any names, mind you) controls an entire planet, it might not be as friendly to outsiders. But then that might end up being one of the more fun planets to visit when you're bored.  Nothing is quite as fun as poking a sleeping bear sometimes, lol.

Regardless, relax and let the universe take the shape it will.  It is going to be so interesting to watch it evolve.  Besides, it would be pretty boring if the Devs start telling people where they can live and what territories they can control.  That's what I hate about traditional MMOs; you get one little "plot" and you're done.  Some of us want more ... much, much more.

21 hours ago, Chugy said:

Okay....and what do you say about this.
Can a organization get ALL places in the Arkship zone ? When they are the fastest organization ?
Yeah, i see it. Its the wrong box sry.

You could make it happen granted you have a bazzilion worth of resources to upkeep every single TCU of every planetary tile.

But given the size of a planet this is something of a Heruclian feat and very counterproductive.

Keep in mind that it would take hundreds of people just to utilize every single block - a huge sacrifice with minimal benefits.

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

am I giving people ideas?

No. If you have enough resources to stop ships getting onto a planet, you have more than enough, especially manpower wise, to control it all with TCU's. Defending from orbit would just mean you had a larger surface area to cover with this 'blanket' defence, and also you have to be constantly expending fuel, plus microing the shit out of your ships to make sure none run out of people completely. Also, ships in space will be harder targets than ships in atmosphere due to higher velocities and also probs distances, and if your defence is on the ground, just shoot out the down thrusters and that's a ship down unless they got a decent pilot, but in space you can shoot out all of one system but they can still use another.

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

I imagine an org controlling a planet not with TCUs but by controlling the orbital space around it. If they can manage who can get in and out that grants them enormous power around a planet.

EDIT: am I giving people ideas?

Projection of Force should be on every organizations toolbelt when it comes to DU I feel, mostly because planets are just too massive for reasons stated above me by other users. If you can exert your influence across the planet and further, then you can absolutely get by without putting down territory units everywhere. Maybe make a little money on the side by "renting" out hexes in your area of influence for other players hm? :)

- Mercutio

I'm curious and eager to see who may try to "fully" control the individual planets of the starting system, on that note.

No doubt many will try to settle across them, and some will contest others. I predict many clashes, but who knows, maybe many of them will also become relatively settled or peaceful with different factions getting along after a while or eventually. Emergent gamepaly and all.

On 14/02/2018 at 6:48 PM, DarkTemplar said:

Eventually, orgs will be able to 'control' planets and maybe even a system. All they need is enough presence/manpower/resources to push all contendors off the planet. They don't need to cover the whole planet in TUnits. And I don't see NQ stepping in at all because someone complaint that its unfair that an org owns x planet.

Agree, can't add more than this. For example a very large org that "finds" an entire solar system: It will work to ensure it keeps not only "first dibs" but "all dibs" after constructing a Star Gate.

That said, the power of encouraging a colonizing players who LOVE building may throw another layer of complexity to that initial simple picture.

Control of a planet or solar system will only be practical if we have appropriate scanning tech that can monitor large volumes of space. DU's game world is massive, you can't just fly around and effectively monitor things using the good 'ole Eyeball Mk1...

If anyone slips past your orbital patrols and makes it to the surface, finding them via visual search will be a massive task, unless you can scan for energy signatures or some such. Even if all cores show up on the minimap, it will take many hours to search an entire planet.

We have no idea of the actual mechanics of how setting-up a stargate will work. You may have built a bridge-head to a new system, but how will you detect the arrival of other "stargate-building" probes ? Will all probes arrive in the same small volume of space when launched from system A to system B ? What if the probe is launched from system C ? Can the probes be scanned-down and destroyed before a potential invader builds a stargate to "your" system ?

Or what you can do is build static orbital platforms with, auto, but crappy targeting guns on them. Place them around the world and who knows maybe spread force shields between them.....  and power them by sacrificing noobies on the DU Noobie Blood Power Alter (NBPA) ( NBPA element yet to be confirmed by NQ ;)  ) ......

:D

5 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Control of a planet or solar system will only be practical if we have appropriate scanning tech that can monitor large volumes of space. DU's game world is massive, you can't just fly around and effectively monitor things using the good 'ole Eyeball Mk1...

If anyone slips past your orbital patrols and makes it to the surface, finding them via visual search will be a massive task, unless you can scan for energy signatures or some such. Even if all cores show up on the minimap, it will take many hours to search an entire planet.

We have no idea of the actual mechanics of how setting-up a stargate will work. You may have built a bridge-head to a new system, but how will you detect the arrival of other "stargate-building" probes ? Will all probes arrive in the same small volume of space when launched from system A to system B ? What if the probe is launched from system C ? Can the probes be scanned-down and destroyed before a potential invader builds a stargate to "your" system ?

The mind does begin to boggle. Will systems be in all directions from the Alioth Star System's star plane of reference?

That said a few fleas on the dog is to be expected. It's bigger operations that I think can be contained by a large org: Supply chains and transport to markets. Of course as soon as a few solar systems are in play then again it really is too big to capture by any one org.

One thing we do know: Star Gates whenever they are "in" will take inordinate amounts of resources and time to construct: Probably mahusive structures in space (away from gravity wells no doubt). They'll be glorious to behold most likely...

Next up: Dyson Spheres.

I doubt anyone will even bother with taking over the entire planet using TUs, when you only need to prevent others from coming there, first by force and then by reputation.

Let´s say planet is colonized by 20 smaller organizations. These eventually start fighting and one by one they are destroyed by their enemies, until only few remain. I think this will take really long time to happen and it will still be a long way to world domination from there.

But when it happens and planet will be claimed by one organization, said organization will be strong enough to keep everyone from the planet. Of course, someone may slip through the defenses, but you can´t hide somewhere forever. If those few players are found, there will be nothing preventing said huge organization from declaring war and obliterating them easily.

In the end, nobody will dare to enter that planet without permission of the organization, unless they are some sort of spies or secret forces of their enemies that will be sent there before major war begins.

Keeping TUs active can end up being costly thing and I doubt anyone would willingly spend all those resources just to keep random forest tile on the planet under their empire, when nobody would dare to come there anyway.

I would imagine any organization large enough to defend a planet from intruders would have the resources to create enough TCU's to cover it.  Alioth for example has over 50,000 tiles and I would expect an organization would need at least one member per tile to defend a planet effectively.  The real number will probably be higher than that, but that is still a huge organization.  If the organization has not claimed all the tiles, then any organization that manages to sneak  or fight their way in will be able to place their own TCU.  While the intruder's claim would probably not last long, it would still be easier for the organization controlling the planet to place their own.