how will the large crew that large ship may have work in a game like this

gamertips

i was just wondering how people would like to see large battle ship fights especially   what their crew are doing  during these large scale battles   (would you like for them to rush around like ftl or just fix basic stuff maybe even to go as far as only  having player controlled turrets ) because of the way people are talking about the large scale ships and their  high crews please tell me what you would like to see in them

Keep in mind that PVP in DU only exists in the design documents currently.

NQ's "vision" for space combat may well change somewhat once they start implementing things and players get some "hands-on" experience with the designs.

"One-player-per-turret" is an interesting idea, but balancing it will be even more interesting.

I think that the size of the ship will depend on the average size of pilots/crew can be called up by an org.

So for example if the org knew that they could always get 10 people to fly, and sometimes up to 100, then they may decide on ships that had 5 to 10 people to man, and just fly more of them as the numbers allow. This would mean that they could always present a force if needed.

Larger orgs might be able to field hundreds of people, and so a fleet of several 100 person ships may be likely.

So in a nutshell the larger the org, the larger the manned ships they can field - in numbers. It might also give people an idea of the trouble they might get into by attacking a single large ship with smaller ones, i.e. if they could field one large ship there are likely several more that can be called up for revenge.

7 hours ago, Zamarus said:

I mean it's already stated by devs that you need a man for every cannon on a ship. If you smack on 30 of them on a ship you better have 30 men to man them 

I really hope this isnt the case

1 minute ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

I really hope this isnt the case

It is and thank fuck its the case imo. This way you wont see solo players flying around in battleships destroying 30 man crews

Build your ships in proportion to the men you have, that is whats gonna happen mostly. And if you want to solo fly a jumbo, then you wont get to arm it that much

Yeah but the thirty ship crew could have that many guns on their ship too. If it doesn't take one man per gun, solo players can use money (time, skill) to make up for man power they lack, while 30 man crews can still take advantage of this change as well, adding more guns to their ship. 

If it wasnt one man per gun, the ship w 30 people could focus on other things, still allowing the solo player to contend yet allowing the 30 ship crew to also have benefit from the mechanic. 

If its 1 man per gun, man power becomes vastly the largest component in combat, which I disagree with a lot. 

Also, people have said there will be automated weapons that will be much less powerful. Are we only talking about the full power guns? because if thats the case, then yeah I see no problem with that. But I really think players should be able to put work into their ship to make up for man power, DPS wise. If this means having to use auto turrets that arent as powerful, that would be a really good solution in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

Yeah but the thirty ship crew could have that many guns on their ship too. If it doesn't take one man per gun, solo players can use money (time, skill) to make up for man power they lack, while 30 man crews can still take advantage of this change as well, adding more guns to their ship. 

If it wasnt one man per gun, the ship w 30 people could focus on other things, still allowing the solo player to contend yet allowing the 30 ship crew to also have benefit from the mechanic. 

If its 1 man per gun, man power becomes vastly the largest component in combat, which I disagree with a lot. 

Also, people have said there will be automated weapons that will be much less powerful. Are we only talking about the full power guns? because if thats the case, then yeah I see no problem with that. But I really think players should be able to put work into their ship to make up for man power, DPS wise. If this means having to use auto turrets that arent as powerful, that would be a really good solution in my opinion. 

NQ has said time after time that the game is about people working together in large groups. While you will be able to do a lot solo you wont be able to do everything larger groups can do together. Manpower should and does count and if you disagree with that tough luck.

Regarding automated weapons, not happening for ships (dynamic constructs) they said. It will be limited to static constructs (bases and such) and not have full power.

1 minute ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

cool beans thanks. My team is currently like 5 people, so this information is really helpful

No worries. It's best for everyone that there's no false hope or false promises creeping around. People need to know what they are going to deal with

11 hours ago, Zamarus said:

I mean it's already stated by devs that you need a man for every cannon on a ship. If you smack on 30 of them on a ship you better have 30 men to man them 

amazing, every word in that sentence was wrong.

*gulps salt* 

I'm sick of World War II but IN SPAAAACE!!!!! This isn't WWII anymore - there are technologies to electrically link togather turrets by sending electric impulses to motors on multiple turrets at the same time from 1 control station - no computers required. Of course, the problem with this setup is that if two turrets are 5 meters apart, the shells/laser/etc (in an ideal setting with no recoil) will be travelling parallel to each other so they won't hit the same spot. This means 1 person aiming can't perfectly aim both turrets at once unless this inaccuracy is compensated for by a computer modifying the electric signals. This should be left up to the players. 

Besides, at realistic space combat distances, computer aided fine-controles will be required since your target will be a rapidly moving dot. And there is a pretty fine line between computer-assisted and computer-controlled. All I want is for turrets to be able to be controlled by logic gates and such as well as computers being able to relay basic instructions(point a certain direction, fire, reload, etc) to the turret, nothing too fancy.

*Take a cup of SALT *
This isnt REALLLLLLL. It is a game and it need to be fun and balanceeeee.

Beside i guessall you have to do still aim and press LMB to shot them down and everything will be automate reloading ( i would glad to crazy if they have something to manual reloading for some big GUN , yeb BIG GUN ) .

Being point a certain direction i think we got fighter class dont we ? Fighter class ( one man vessel ) can fight all weapon on it but sadly it cant move and only shot where your ship are face .

4 hours ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

Well 30 crew ship just to say the minumum ( not include pilot ) to main the gun. So technically you can have  100 people on a small ship if there is enough space for you then. 30 to main gun and other can run around , resuply for weapon, repair for weapon, maintain the ship, guard again some gruesome intruder, troll ( just for fun, dont do it when in battle ) , replace injured gun man, ...

46 minutes ago, Lights said:

amazing, every word in that sentence was wrong.

It really isn't though. You need gunners for your guns on your gunships and JC has said that in multiple interviews

I don't think it's going to be a problem.  A large ship with a large crew won't be as nimble as a smaller ship.  If its one gun per person, then the crew also needs to be pretty good at working together to be effective.  I can foresee many instances where a smaller, tighter crew might be more effective.  It will all depend on strategy at that point.

1 hour ago, Zamarus said:

It really isn't though. You need gunners for your guns on your gunships and JC has said that in multiple interviews

he also said tho that peopel would be able to use multiple turrets using AI at the expense of viability

2 minutes ago, Lights said:

he also said tho that peopel would be able to use multiple turrets using AI at the expense of viability

On static constructs (bases) not AI (automation) on dynamic constructs (ships)

While I like the idea of ship crews I hope we will not have to deal with the absurdity of guns on space ships being manually aimed and fired. I hope we at least get 1940s tech that lets gunners aim and fire entire batteries at once. 

The best idea of crewed space ships Ive seen in a game was in Eve where player characters controlled ships with their brains, moving them as they would their own bodies.  Upgrades were made to the player's own brains to allow them to fly more ships and better. 

Perhaps DU could do something similar with a single player able to control a ship to a degree but sub dividing systems to players with applicable skills provides worthwhile bonuses.  Some players could even specialize in engines, guns or navigation.

2 hours ago, Anomaly said:

While I like the idea of ship crews I hope we will not have to deal with the absurdity of guns on space ships being manually aimed and fired. I hope we at least get 1940s tech that lets gunners aim and fire entire batteries at once. 

The best idea of crewed space ships Ive seen in a game was in Eve where player characters controlled ships with their brains, moving them as they would their own bodies.  Upgrades were made to the player's own brains to allow them to fly more ships and better. 

Perhaps DU could do something similar with a single player able to control a ship to a degree but sub dividing systems to players with applicable skills provides worthwhile bonuses.  Some players could even specialize in engines, guns or navigation.

Specialization is something that will probably be found in DU through leveling and skills. Some people will go for weaponry, other for engines as you say.  Or something of that nature.

I’m hoping that skills will be infinite, but decreasing in power.  For example, level one might give 100, but level 20 might give 60.  And so on and so forth (random numbers, no idea what would be balanced).  But it would mean people wouldn’t level everything, as they could continue gaining on their main area... although minuscule.

As for manually aimed and fired, remember this is NOT a twitch game in all factors... and combat is one of those.  We don’t know how it will work entirely, but I’m thinking something along the lines of that one game I can’t remember.. they had both twitch and a “twitch but actually tab target” so you’d shoot and if it was in the general direction it would do tab target combat stuff.  It was a sci-fi sandbox mmo... think it was supposed to be like Star Wars the old republic, but then they shut it down and made something like a 50 man server survival thing.  

I feel like it started with The... bahg, I’m terrible... I really should know what it is, I was looking at it for quite some time.

I had time to think about this today before seeing these responses. I agree, I would like to be see automation or linkage in turrets, and also agree that maybe some kind of performance nerf with those automated turrets would be more than reasonable.

As one person said, its like 1940's technology haha. I hadnt thought of that

I just don't see 29 people wanting to sit idle in a ship that may or may not engage in a fight or be trapped in a ship for long time for 5 minutes of action.

Hopefully there is someway to remote into turrets if you really need a person per turret.

34 minutes ago, SaintShaun said:

I just don't see 29 people wanting to sit idle in a ship that may or may not engage in a fight or be trapped in a ship for long time for 5 minutes of action.

This is called waiting for action. Do you know why battle ship have 5 batteries but thousand of people working on it right ? I agree maybe idle not fun but it maybe can consider into tatic, where you surprise attack an idle ship ;) .