Can we have droids like in star wars?

Justus_Stargaze

On 2/6/2018 at 7:25 AM, Mod-Merwyn said:

To be more precise, gameplay-wise (and based on what we know as of now).

You can program basic (or less basic) scripts in Lua, auto-pilotes may be a thing for example, but:

1. Someone needs to stay near the program unit for the script to work.
  2. Script won't be able to shoot or engage any PvP action (or, at best, very inefficiently).

~ Merwyn

This is actually interesting, so we can script shields/engines/etc?  Or if something gets damaged, repair it?  And so on and so forth?  As long as it doesn't directly engage PvP action?

For some reason I thought the opposite on the issue, however, things are pretty muddy on this topic for me.  Will have to search around some.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Jegleebow20 said:

In this video at 7:30 he shows off a drone he made, so I guess if you added some more features then you could have a "kamikaze" drone that rams its self into enemies and explode. But you can't have them shoot people on sight

Yea this crossed my mind also and I'm not going to talk about what I plan on testing out but it could be as simple as making a lot of dumb kamikaze drones and telling them to go from point A to point B and yes  I know you have to be near it for your scripting to work but I think I know a alternate way of programing them but I will hold off for now.

4 hours ago, GunDeva said:

Yea this crossed my mind also and I'm not going to talk about what I plan on testing out but it could be as simple as making a lot of dumb kamikaze drones and telling them to go from point A to point B and yes  I know you have to be near it for your scripting to work but I think I know a alternate way of programing them but I will hold off for now.

I'm curious as to how all that will work if there is no and will not be any coalition or physical ramming damage in DU. ????

Cheers,

Comrademoco

2 minutes ago, Comrademoco said:

I'm curious as to how all that will work if there is no and will not be any coalition or physical ramming damage in DU. ????

Just to answer your question quickly comes down to how well the programing is to make this work but basically you are using something that is more like a proximity or flak / fragmentation warhead designed to explode near the target and not hit it to causing the maximum radius of damage near a target .

Yeah, this has been a wet dream of mine since I saw that Space Engineers was going to get programming blocks.

The only hinderance to this, is if you could put base defence turrets on dynamic core structures, which I highly doubt is even considered by NQ (not sure if auto defence turrets are even a thing, seen discussions on the forum on them, but if its actually confirmed or not has evaded my mind).

But I guess what could be a compromize would be player controlled drones. I've heard that NQ was planning exosuit/exoskeleton of some sort. If this is something tha the player can build with voxels and premade parts, it should be possible to put in some drone parts and camera in them, thus you could have a carrier ship which drops down these player made drones without risking the lives of the players themselves - but I guess if this is to be worth while the "punishment" for dying should be somewhat severe, so that its not like other FPS where you can just respawn and be ready to go within seconds.

16 hours ago, GunDeva said:

Just to answer your question quickly comes down to how well the programing is to make this work but basically you are using something that is more like a proximity or flak / fragmentation warhead designed to explode near the target and not hit it to causing the maximum radius of damage near a target .

That would require that you are able to self detonate your ship and that those explosions can case damage to enemy ships.

Also the cost of the drones need to be low enough so that this is worth the cost.

• 3 weeks later...