Multiple Coding Languages

Orius

I suggest having multiple coding language editing boards in case we can't fins a way to learn Lua before the game release. There are not a lot of online resources for learning Lua, and any of the websites that would potentially have Lua don't. I'm saying that we could keep Lua, and we could also have other languages for people to edit if they aren't knowledgeable of Lua  (myself included).

The more it hard, the more it value lol. If you bad at combat, bad at building, bad at mining, bad at scaning, bad at pilot a ship, bad at manning a gun on ship, bad at trader, bad at commander, bad at 'follow a team', ... you may choose coder. The more hard code is, the more value of the coder :))

While I cannot speak for NovaQuark, at this time Lua will be the only language implemented. I'll drop some links for you that may give you more information on the language itself and point you in the right direction.

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Lua_Scripting

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

- Mercutio

34 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

The more it hard, the more it value lol. If you bad at combat, bad at building, bad at mining, bad at scaning, bad at pilot a ship, bad at manning a gun on ship, bad at trader, bad at commander, bad at 'follow a team', ... you may choose coder. The more hard code is, the more value of the coder :))

Yes, but we shouldn't be locked to 1 language. People should have the freedom of choice between different languages whether it be python, lua, c, etc-  its something thats touted so much in the community. 

At least add assembly or something to makr our own interpreter.

3 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Yes, but we shouldn't be locked to 1 language. People should have the freedom of choice between different languages whether it be python, lua, c, etc-  its something thats touted so much in the community. 

At least add assembly or something to makr our own interpreter.

Well yeah i agree, people should have multi code and let's crash down the server . Umu DU still a game not a computer, i dont know how it will launch a code which need a strong computer to load it many time. I think it will hurt the server resource.

On 4.2.2018 at 7:04 PM, Dr_Rhino55 said:

I suggest having multiple coding language editing boards in case we can't fins a way to learn Lua before the game release. There are not a lot of online resources for learning Lua, and any of the websites that would potentially have Lua don't. I'm saying that we could keep Lua, and we could also have other languages for people to edit if they aren't knowledgeable of Lua  (myself included).

It's easy enough to learn so everyone can do basic stuff. 

For better scripts and masterful pieces you need a dedicated scripter anyway who has years of experience.

They already give us lua in a mmo (that's how crazy they are) so there's no need for more. But i guess some will always niggle

On 4. 2. 2018 at 7:04 PM, Dr_Rhino55 said:

As a C++ programmer I think it would be great to have something like C++ inplemented. Who is with me?

2 hours ago, magey3 said:

As a C++ programmer I think it would be great to have something like C++ inplemented. Who is with me?

If i have to choose between server resource for other better thing and multi coding ... i will choose the first.

Script only one part of DU. It good if we have multi coding but consider on the nowday technology and cost for server resource i think we "shouldn't" have multi coding yet for the sake of performance and stability. But who know 10+ year more server become cheaper and stronger so DU will got multi code ;)

8 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

If i have to choose between server resource for other better thing and multi coding ... i will choose the first.

Script only one part of DU. It good if we have multi coding but consider on the nowday technology and cost for server resource i think we "shouldn't" have multi coding yet for the sake of performance and stability. But who know 10+ year more server become cheaper and stronger so DU will got multi code :)

On that part I agree with you that servers should be prioritized over multi language coding but it would be a nice thing to have maybe after the release.

• 2 weeks later...

I think every good Programmer will have no Problems to learn LUA and for everyone else who have just a little of scripting knowledge in this or that language would not lose so much if he starts to learn LUA instead. 

And a little hint for everyone who like to test LUA: There is a mod for Minecraft called "Computer Craft" which add Comandline based Computer to the Game. If you already own Minecraft this could be a way to train your skills, but I won't recommend buying MC just for that.