Traveling cities?

Tbabz17

Unless they adjust the voxels in some way, yes you should be able to create "floating" cities, they would be in a static spot though

Alternatively with the anti gravity engines and sufficient power you could make a vessel to serve as a floating city im quite sure.

I dont know if i would want to try it with the hovercraft engines, but maybe if you had enough of them.

Unless they adjust the voxels in some way, yes you should be able to create "floating" cities, they would be in a static spot though

Alternatively with the anti gravity engines and sufficient power you could make a vessel to serve as a floating city im quite sure.

I dont know if i would want to try it with the hovercraft engines, but maybe if you had enough of them.

Oh come on Neo. We have all thought about it. After all, who doesn't want a Cinderfall palace where all of us could reign upon mere mortals from the power of.... I'm getting ahead of myself.

Flying cities would theoretically be possible. In the early stages of the game, they might be very easy to create. However, I imagine the devs will put implementations against creating any flying city. I still want to try it, but maybe with a bit more of a limitation onto what can be done.

Although, I would be interested in creating floating cities on planets with less gravity. That sounds a bit more feasible and fun.

When you say traveling city this is the first thing that pops into my head.

city7color.gif

Finally someone mentioned a Macross. Although those tend to have pretty bad experiences in the atmospheres of planets...

I think interplanetary/interstellar colony ships would work as travelling cities. They'd probably be an enormous demand though, as you'd have to load it with fighters and materials and build the whole city inside. On planets I just don't see it happening; by the time the community would have the resources to build one there would probably be multiple ringworlds and orbital stations to occupy most people's attentions.

I think the Capital ship is one of the best ideas. Think like aircraft carriers, they are literally military floating cities. They can make anything they need part wise in their machine shops and fabrication bays. Although food is not grown, they have large stores to hold food items etc. Water is cleaned/filtered on board to supply ship as well.

Maybe a capital ship can have a gas vessel it can send to find a gas planet and siphon off gas. Return to Capital ship and have the gas broken down into its various elements, one being water (H2O). Of course, a large hanger bay or several, as well as huge cargo holds will be just some of the structures to think about. Then defense turrets missle  pods, torpedo shoots/tubes etc for defense, and the most important part ....   Marines !!!   hehe       Guess I need to get cracking on some modular designs.

Deacon

Building an entire city that floats would be rather difficult depending on how the systems for fuel, lift, and weight work. If there's any system for weight and lift at all, I can imagine that you would need a whole lot of lift generation, which would mean a whole lot of fuel. 

But I can imagine that a traveling refinery or production plant would be incredibly useful, especially once resources start to become depleted near the starting zone.

Building an entire city that floats would be rather difficult depending on how the systems for fuel, lift, and weight work. If there's any system for weight and lift at all, I can imagine that you would need a whole lot of lift generation, which would mean a whole lot of fuel. 

But I can imagine that a traveling refinery or production plant would be incredibly useful, especially once resources start to become depleted near the starting zone.

Fuel, lift, and weight aren't as much of an issue if your shipyard is in space. 

but it matters a whole lot if you want the city to float in the atmosphere :P

Not according to how the voxel engine and physics design for DU currently stands.  As of right now, a floating city is as simple as build it out of a mountain,  then dig/cut the bottom of the mountain out.  Voila!  Floating city.

Not according to how the voxel engine and physics design for DU currently stands.  As of right now, a floating city is as simple as build it out of a mountain,  then dig/cut the bottom of the mountain out.  Voila!  Floating city.

true dat

So what happens when the devs decide to apply physics to DUAL?

A bad, bad day. That's what.

Now, I don't know the limits of vehicles in DU, as it is not out. But in theory, it might be possible to put enough hover engines under a large flat piece of a sturdy material to make it float. After that, you add generators, fuel storages, whatever is necessary as infrastructure. Now you can slowly build whatever you want on it. someones gotta calculate how much mass one engine can keep up and with these values, you just add engines whenever necessary. And after you are pleased with the size, you add some more engines to make up for passengers, shuttles that might land on it etc, depending on how the game handles this kind of stuff. Maneuvering this thing would be quite tedious, I imagine, as you will not be fast at all, but still stop accelerating a good amount of distance from your destination. In the end, it all comes down to two things: Will people be determined enough to keep the engines running and how well will it be protected? Because I can see some people destroying this marvelous thing just because...

Traveling cities would definitely be cool, but maybe it'd be more feasible if it were a really large, slow ship in space with transport ships to shuttle people to and from.  Something similar in design to the Bentusi ships from Homeworld with a large marketplace being a significant part of it.

Same idea, just in space. A city traveling around a planet close to the surface vs. a city traveling through space. In the end, both would be possible, if enough players are behind it

This is a great idea...but in a way a floating city is more like a ship than a statistical place like a normal city. It need power to move, power to be at float.....take a RL military carrier  for example or a cruise ship....its a city in many ways.  For me if it moves...its a ship....if it does not its a station or a city. For a true floating city to be it would have to have 95% of the time to be statical....and just move to reallocate to a new place....lets say it can only move once a week or month or so.  Cities are defensive by nature since there very statical.....so if you can move it there is no need to have sieges.....it will be a moving ship warfare.....

Dont get me wrong here i like the idea...its just that it needs to have some constraints in order to be called "City"