Traveling cities?

Tbabz17

There was that movie where a guy lives on mars with aliens and one earth at the same time and it had these citys that were basiclly giant walkers i can see that i would love to see that
would also be interstening for nomads and mobile groups, maybe even give the city space fairing capabilities

the houses floating or the city as a whole floating? because a city as a whole floating has been discussed and I think planned for by a few people

think about tall apartment-like buildings, individual dwellings that could float. sci-fi R.V's that you live in

Why not put the entire city on a bunch of hovercraft units

my original thought was one thruster on the bottom than others on the sides, id want to make each dwelling land able also so you dont need constant fuel

The thruster system would have to have enough fuel to hold it up for long enough,

its never going to be able to be permanent unless there is an efficient way to use the hover engines at 'x' height and have them keep you up there. 

The idea being that this would be a hard structure to kill, because to get on board you'd need to get close enough - but you'd obviously have anti ship/hover craft guns, depending on how it all works. 

Anyway, interesting idea. Once we know a bit more about how the systems work this may flesh out and be efficient or just be too inefficient to continue being feasible.

Sounds too complicated for me or not so feasible. You could as well build an ark ship that was better suited for moving between worlds or in space as a "mobile city".

Unless you intend to build said floating city and restrict it to a planet only. Otherwise it may be tricky to move all that infrastructure into the cold depths of space - a lot could get broken realistically or get hit by random debris and space rocks. I would consider anything more "connected" more feasible. Heck, make an underground or underwater city or a normal one and I'll sign up as resident.

Sounds too complicated for me or not so feasible. You could as well build an ark ship that was better suited for moving between worlds or in space as a "mobile city".

Unless you intend to build said floating city and restrict it to a planet only. Otherwise it may be tricky to move all that infrastructure into the cold depths of space - a lot could get broken realistically or get hit by random debris and space rocks. I would consider anything more "connected" more feasible. Heck, make an underground or underwater city or a normal one and I'll sign up as resident.

it was supposed to be strictly planet side. like a band of wandering gypsies that set up camp here and there with their wagon homes. i did however wonder if id be able to strap additional thrusters to make it interplanetary. but maybe like someone above said, it would be easyer to make them hovercraft instead of a bottom thruster

I think the primary challenge would be to get people interested. It would be a novelty and selling the security of it, once that security had been established, would be your hook. But, the location, floating in the skies, would also be a deterrent. People will want to be where they can get to resources in a reasonable amount of time, and that is going to vary from person to person, but if they have to spend time going planetside instead of being able to set out immediately, that will present a small challenge to attracting people.

Still, the novelty and presence could be a strong pull as people see this place in the sky and curiosity works its magic.  Then, the location might encourage only the people truly interested in building the sky-city to stay and that becomes a stronger city and a tighter community.

"Rather than floating cities, ships should do. Build large capital ships rigged with mining gear and loaded with mining drones--if mining is indeed your intention-- and fly from place to place. You are thinking it requires too much fuel? Just wait until you see the gas/power bill a floating city will dump on your door. The advantage with a capital ship is that it can move to space and boasts a lot more functions than an impressive engineering feat."

I think the primary challenge would be to get people interested. It would be a novelty and selling the security of it, once that security had been established, would be your hook. But, the location, floating in the skies, would also be a deterrent. People will want to be where they can get to resources in a reasonable amount of time, and that is going to vary from person to person, but if they have to spend time going planetside instead of being able to set out immediately, that will present a small challenge to attracting people.

Still, the novelty and presence could be a strong pull as people see this place in the sky and curiosity works its magic.  Then, the location might encourage only the people truly interested in building the sky-city to stay and that becomes a stronger city and a tighter community.

i feel as though recourse gathering would be ten fold at the ability to move on when the surrounding area is depleted. the idea would not be so much a city that stays above the ground but one that moves from one location to the next then lands

• 2 weeks later...

i would like some Atlantis style city ship. but there is also the mean of connection between two of such ships floating in same ocean some sort of permanent docking so they can be really floating mega structures whit docking bays and construction terminals, where trade of all sort is possible and living community. but if under attack they can offer protection whit large shields and weapons.

A floating city would be great, especially if it had guns on the underside and could destroy another city it floated over. But I guess cities will be safe zones. Maybe it can just sit down on top of it and crush it. That's not really an attack, is it?

I'm imagining Sanctuary from Borderlands 2. A huge mining platform upon which rests a city. Don't see why it couldn't be done!

It must be done. It should be easy. The perfect mobile planetary mining base. Just watch your step.