Ruins from the past (re-claimed TU)

Captain Jack

We are currently discussing the reclamation of territory units when players become inactive. My thought was instead of just clearing the area of constructs, why not replace those constructs with a dilapidated version, or something along those lines, for players to discover. Past civilizations, remnants of the past, partly overgrown by nature, something that indicates that someone was there, but hasn't been in quite some time.

I don't how exactly, but I bet someone with a big brain could find a way to artificially age constructs. That way, content created doesn't get completely wasted when a player leaves. Just a thought.

Love the idea :D

It's have to be done in such a way that I couldn't claim an entire huge starship, or the mats to build one, by just tripping over some ex-player's stuff though.

Would be pretty cool if it could be made into a long-ish project of refinishing, refurbishing and recommissioning a construct though.

20 hours ago, Razorwire said:

Love the idea :D

It's have to be done in such a way that I couldn't claim an entire huge starship, or the mats to build one, by just tripping over some ex-player's stuff though.

Would be pretty cool if it could be made into a long-ish project of refinishing, refurbishing and recommissioning a construct though.

I'm not convinced someone stumbling upon a massive ship or a stocked base would be a bad thing. The big important stuff is likely to be org owned anyway so it's highly unlikely to happen in the first place. If a player with the capability to build a massive star ship left the game, and another player comes along and claims all those resources... won't that preserve the economy in a way?

21 hours ago, Lethys said:

Would Love that.

But I think that's one of the "not crucial but nice to have" things - so it may never happen

The "nice" thing would be the non-essential cosmetic derelict part, but not removing structures wouldn't be an additional anything. They are talking about "archiving" peoples stuff when a player skips town, but they could just as easily leave it in place. I know real life sneaks up on people sometimes, but everyone is buying into a persistent universe. That persistence is one of the core elements of the game. Artificially locking up resources for an indefinite period of time seems to go against the DU way.

If anything, structures should start to gather a layer of grime over them if the owner hasn't spawned in and interacted with it for awhile.

This could also be part of the upkeep of a construct. It shouldn't cause degrading as quickly as direct damage obviously, but over a span of time it would make sense for the structure to weaken naturally.

I am all for this, so long as it has a reasonable implementation. 

I personally love the idea of having a persistent construct that remains during an extended leave of absence. However I do agree that certain things should probably degrade as to not give massive advantages. For instance territory units should probably lose key components so a new player could not just rebuild and claim a territory. Fuel should be depleted first before degradation begins to take place.

Also, the option of permanent storage would be a nice inclusion. Perhaps only for ships, but some way to preserve your spacecraft during an extended leave. Imagine if you were leaving the country for 3-6 months because of work, and unable to access the game. It would really suck if you came back and everything was gone. I would make the following suggestion...

1. Players bases remain "in-tact" so long as they are powered.
  2. Other players can degrade the base faster by "attacking" it. For example damaging the shield drains power faster, or destroying a solar array.
  3. Degraded buildings give only salvage materials, of which "complex or hard to build" salvage is harder to find (maybe with special perks/tools?).
  4. Give players a way to store ships permanently where they can remain untouched.

18 minutes ago, Sh4d0ws said:

1. Players bases remain "in-tact" so long as they are powered.
  2. Other players can degrade the base faster by "attacking" it. For example damaging the shield drains power faster, or destroying a solar array.
  3. Degraded buildings give only salvage materials, of which "complex or hard to build" salvage is harder to find (maybe with special perks/tools?).
  4. Give players a way to store ships permanently where they can remain untouched

Power will be a huge part of gameplay, See the newest AMA.

Also from the AMA:

Forodrim: Do you already have an idea how to deal with abandoned structures? To avoid having a landscape that is littered with ruins? Will there be a decay or simply a way to allow other players to salvage those structures?
NQ-Sophon: We had a meeting on this last week actually! Yes, we are considering some form of salvaging for abandoned constructs, with lots of warning for the player (via email, etc.) before we “de-own” his constructs. In any case, Blueprints will be granted in case the player comes back 

if you're off for a long time just make sure your constructs are in a safezone, noone can harm them there

I will glad to have the " BANK" where people can store their own property and even your ship ( just small one not big one ) .

The bank will location inside the safezone and people who store thing there have to pay the fee for it. And their assets will be safe for eternal of the game (or until the very end of the game but who know). I think this bank will be BIG and the gara which store people fighter will be huge lmao.

Who know some org maybe will do it when the game release and become the biggest and most influence bank in DU history.

@ShioriStein You might have a great point... Banks (both in terms of space and other assets) might become a very.. very big aspect for this game. Especially if you can tie a bank with an insurance type setup. Paired with owning a large territory in the safe zone it would be a force to be reckoned with (and also a very appealing target for some).

Well that just normal for people who have job or cant log in the game for very long time, they will need a place to store their assets until they come back. This is where bank come in handy.

Or just use the safezone....

Why pay for smth when it's free.

For now quanta can't be stolen so there's no point in having a bank for that kind of thing. 

Banks could work with loans and interest though, but i don't See ppl using them for storing stuff. 

Scamming is real ;)

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

For now quanta can't be stolen so there's no point in having a bank for that kind of thing. 

quanta cant be stolenbut how about your assest and your construct like ship ? And other in game element that you dont want to sell ? But your inventory is not big enough to store all your element ? How to deal with that.

24 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

quanta cant be store but how about your assest and your construct like ship ? And other in game element that you dont want to sell ? But your inventory is not big enough to store all your element ? How to deal with that.

If you have an apartment you can always store your excess goods there. In a crate or something.

Your ship is a bit trickier to store for long term. Maybe at a player run garage. :) 

To the OP; I would love to see something like that. But considering everything else that needs to be developed this might not be in the priorities list.:P 

28 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

If you have an apartment you can always store your excess goods there. In a crate or something.

Well it is good to have apartment but i think the bank will be the long term solution because it cheaper than an apartment and you know, apartment in a city at safezone might be expensive because there will be like Holy Land.

8 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

Well it is good to have apartment but i think the bank will be the long term solution because it cheaper than an apartment and you know, apartment in a city at safezone might be expensive because there will be like Holy Land.

Perhaps yes. 

But banks will ask for a storage fee as well. No matter what you do there will be a cost associated with storing goods.

Might be cheaper to dig a hole and bury your treasure, with a big fat X to mark the spot.

1 hour ago, ShioriStein said:

quanta cant be stolenbut how about your assest and your construct like ship ? And other in game element that you dont want to sell ? But your inventory is not big enough to store all your element ? How to deal with that.

As i said: safezones

35 minutes ago, Lethys said:

As i said: safezones

as i said about the "de-own" system

37 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

Might be cheaper to dig a hole and bury your treasure, with a big fat X to mark the spot.

and other player might be blind if they are not seeing it.

10 minutes ago, Takao said:

Well you still need to claim territory in a safezone or make sure that others do not claim it...

But wuf about the "de-own" system ?

5 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

as i said about the "de-own" system

and other player might be blind if they are not seeing it.

But wuf about the "de-own" system ?

As it's a safezone they can't do anything to your constructs.

Blueprints are always saved too.

So If you leave the game for longer just make sure to get your constructs in such a zone. Other players *might* be able to remove them from there after several warnings from NQ (devblog). But the information is never lost. 

If you leave for longer you might need to get the resources again to build the constructs from the blueprints, that's the way it is in a persistent MMO

24 minutes ago, Lethys said:

But the information is never lost. 

The information never lost. Yeb but your property is lost forever. And your material and your even element which you cant put into your inventory because it full.

I know that blueprint will give to me but i dont care much about it as i care about material i need to remade my construct.

24 minutes ago, Lethys said:

If you leave for longer you might need to get the resources again to build the constructs from the blueprints, that's the way it is in a persistent MMO

That is why i need a bank, i dont want to go back and to find / buy resource to rebuild my construct again. 

Dont tell me it is persistent when you can do a smart choice which result less harder you have to be. Lazy people always got smart move to use their effort in minimum.

5 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

The information never lost. Yeb but your property is lost forever. And your material and your even element which you cant put into your inventory because it full.

I know that blueprint will give to me but i dont care much about it as i care about material i need to remade my construct.

That is why i need a bank, i dont want to go back and to find / buy resource to remade my construct again.

Well, you can do that ofc. But imho it doesn't matter. As the bank can easily scamm you. And the chance that you lose your construct in the safezone is pretty equal to the chance that the bank will either run with your money or won't be there anymore when you come back.

And besides: ppl can do banks already and ppl will make banks. It's only that I personally don't think that they'll succeed

4 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Well, you can do that ofc. But imho it doesn't matter. As the bank can easily scamm you. And the chance that you lose your construct in the safezone is pretty equal to the chance that the bank will either run with your money or won't be there anymore when you come back.

The chance to be scam and the 100% lost your property. I will choose the first.

But as you say trustworthy people , not trustworthy people also appear of course. All you have to do is choose who is the most trustworthy to store your thing, your element, material, and the so.

But i think the scam will be consider in "emergent gameplay" isnt it ? It will give people more freedom, to be whatever they want like politic, miner, explorer, fighter, solider, worker,...

Just now, ShioriStein said:

The chance to be scam and the 100% lost your property. I will choose the first.

But as you say trustworthy people , not trustworthy people also appear of course. All you have to do is choose who is the most trustworthy to store your bank and your element, material, and the so.

But i think the scam will be consider in "emergent gameplay" isnt it ? It will give people more freedom, to be whatever they want like politic, miner, explorer, fighter, solider, worker,...

No one said anything about 100% chance of losing your stuff. It MAY happen....a bank MAY Run with your money.

And yes that's emergent gameplay