PVP timers confirmed! What should we call them?

What should the Build Protection mechanism be called?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a name

• Force Field Unit (current name)
    • Structural Integrity Unit
    • Other (add in comments)
    • Wall (short and sweet)

Our most recent Devblog laid out NQ's plans for how base protections will work in non-savezone areas, and I've got to say I'm relieved. In summary...

-Can use a Force Field Unit (I'd like it to be more of a structural integrity unit myself, as a forcefield implies it prevents entry, which so far the proposed mechanic does not).

-Force field absorbs damage. When it gets below a certain threshold, it effectively freezes pvp for 24-48 hours, making everything temporally indestructible. You'll be able to predict when your defenses drop, and there will be a cool-down before turning it back on.

-You get an Email notification when your stuff is under attack

Yes, I know the EVE tryhards are going to cry and moan about this, but as an ex-eve player who really wants to participate in pvp in DU, I'm extremely relieved that there are solid protective measures like these.

That being said, I don't expect these defenses to come cheap, they might require quite a bit of upkeep to maintain, and they might eat a ton of power or resources to turn-back-on after a cooldown. This means that not every rando player will be able to keep their stuff shielded 100% of the time. Pirates will have plenty to do while they wait on my shields to collapse. This also means that abandoned structures left by inactive players can eventually be purged, at the *worst* after about 48 hours. 

So what should this force-field be called?

Good thinking on creating this thread ;)

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

• Intrusion Safeguard Dynamo
  • Offense Dispersion Unit
  • Preservation Bubble Generator
  • Tranquility Persuader
  • Serenity Dispenser
  • Wall

29 minutes ago, Kurock said:

Good thinking on creating this thread ;)

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

• Intrusion Safeguard Dynamo
  • Offense Dispersion Unit
  • Preservation Bubble Generator
  • Tranquility Persuader
  • Serenity Dispenser
  • Wall

I kinda like "Wall". Not everything high tech needs a long name.

3 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

Our most recent Devblog laid out NQ's plans for how base protections will work in non-savezone areas, and I've got to say I'm relieved. In summary...

-Can use a Force Field Unit (I'd like it to be more of a structural integrity unit myself, as a forcefield implies it prevents entry, which so far the proposed mechanic does not).

-Force field absorbs damage. When it gets below a certain threshold, it effectively freezes pvp for 24-48 hours, making everything temporally indestructible. You'll be able to predict when your defenses drop, and there will be a cool-down before turning it back on.

-You get an Email notification when your stuff is under attack

Yes, I know the EVE tryhards are going to cry and moan about this, but as an ex-eve player who really wants to participate in pvp in DU, I'm extremely relieved that there are solid protective measures like these.

That being said, I don't expect these defenses to come cheap, they might require quite a bit of upkeep to maintain, and they might eat a ton of power or resources to turn-back-on after a cooldown. This means that not every rando player will be able to keep their stuff shielded 100% of the time. Pirates will have plenty to do while they wait on my shields to collapse. This also means that abandoned structures left by inactive players can eventually be purged, at the *worst* after about 48 hours. 

So what should this force-field be called?

Such shields with 48h timers were public knowledge now for a year or so, that info wasn't smth new.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10496-timer-on-shields/&

Shield domes

On 2/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Captain Jack said:

stasis barrier?

Stasis barrier implies equilibrium, and it’s short and sweet.  Many of the names proposed are long and overly scientific imho.  They need to be called something that everyone can recognize what it is.  Stasis barrier accomplishes this.

4 hours ago, Hades said:

Stasis barrier implies equilibrium, and it’s short and sweet.  Many of the names proposed are long and overly scientific imho.  They need to be called something that everyone can recognize what it is.  Stasis barrier accomplishes this.

I'm actually gonna have to disagree with the part that everyone can recognize what it is. I know plenty of people that will either

1) Not get what stasis means

2) Not see any reference to what the barrier covers

and possibly both

5 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

I'm actually gonna have to disagree with the part that everyone can recognize what it is. I know plenty of people that will either

1) Not get what stasis means

2) Not see any reference to what the barrier covers

and possibly both

Then stasis barrier is a bad choice unfortunately.  You're probably right.  Still better than a lot that I've seen here.

Shield Generator/Shield barrier is honestly the most straight forward.

My vote goes for something as simple as shield generator.  Force field unit probably gets the point across as well.  Shield generator leaves no room for error, however.

1 minute ago, Hades said:

Then stasis barrier is a bad choice unfortunately.  You're probably right.  Still better than a lot that I've seen here.

Shield Generator/Shield barrier is honestly probably the most straight forward.

Honestly, my vote (if I get one) goes for something as simple as shield generator.

Yeah, shield barrier would be the failproof choice if you want everyone to know what it is. I do like the sound of stasis barrier i just don't think its THE straight forward choice if that's what people think is important.

I'd opt for something simple and straightforward, like "Territory Shield" or even "Hex Shield".

Long and fancy names will be ignored by players anyway, because they're cumbersome in chat and a mouthful if you're on voice comms.

3 hours ago, NanoDot said:

I'd opt for something simple and straightforward, like "Territory Shield" or even "Hex Shield".

Long and fancy names will be ignored by players anyway, because they're cumbersome in chat and a mouthful if you're on voice comms.

so "Godlike Invincibility Shield of Awesomeness + 12" is out?

Wasn't "shield" reserved for actual shield tech? I mean it is a kind of shield I suppose, so I guess it fits, but will it be confusing if shields ever come to be? This is less of a shield and more of a forced waiting period.

12 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

Wasn't "shield" reserved for actual shield tech? I mean it is a kind of shield I suppose, so I guess it fits, but will it be confusing if shields ever come to be? This is less of a shield and more of a forced waiting period.

True, perhaps amnesty zone or something.  I still think Shield Barrier would work... I wouldn’t really call the shields on my ship a shield barrier ;)  but I can see where confusion could come in.

It’s not just a waiting period, it provides peace until it’s taken down.

15 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

What confusion ?

It will be a shield, just like any other shield, except on a very large scale. That shield will be targeted and hit until the timer kicks in.

2 hours ago, NanoDot said:

What confusion ?

It will be a shield, just like any other shield, except on a very large scale. That shield will be targeted and hit until the timer kicks in.

A shield also implies once you’re past it, you can do anything.  Which is not the case with this tech... you can’t damage constructs for sure.  Curious about whether non-construct based attacks will be possible.

Getting pretty granular at that point though, I think shield generator/barrier is still acceptable