NQ-Nyzaltar

[DevBlog Feedback] Our thoughts on Territory Protection Mechanics

Hi everyone!

A new Devblog has been released on Territory Protection Mechanics: you can find it here!

As we plan to post now all DevBlog articles directly on the website, we will have one dedicated topic per Devblog.

Feel free to give your feedback in the present topic for "Our thoughts on Territory Protection Mechanics".

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I had a concern about the Secure Areas.  In the Devblog, you guys listed three different types of areas, the ASA, MSA, and UA.  This seems to restrict the amount of safe building zones to very small areas in very specific places.

I can't speak for other organizations, but I know that several of the larger organizations have talked about building cities as a project.  In a lot of cases, we're choosing the locations of these cities because of their geographic locations and those won't necessarily be predetermined secure areas.  Will it be planned to be able to protect these cities and creations later on when they are not in the designated secure zones?

First I think it was expected to split those tcu, makes sense If you want to scale it up for more ppl.

I think "domes" are better suited than bubbles, but that's just me.

Second: I think it's not really possible here to do such shield domes without timers. But please, PLEASE, add a dps saturation to them so blobs don't get an advantage. It should be a Balance between needing enough ppl to bring it down and Not needing stupid amounts of time to kill it with lots of ppl

Can those MSA be placed anywhere? How many can you place? 

Edit: forget the questions, I'm stupid lol

Perfect!  However, I did have one question. When a force field unit goes down, can the owner reset it before the protection bubble (24-48 hour protection) goes down?

To clarify, this is how I see them working:

Group A takes down the force field unit of Group B.

Group B has 24-48 hours to assemble their org and other defenses for when the shield goes down.  They cannot repair the force field unit.

After 24-48 hours, Group A can take control of the area if Group B is defeated.

Is this a correct assumption?  If it can be repaired, you just have someone who logs on every couple of days to repair the unit.

I love the stances you have taken on safezones and the resources found within... phenomenal!  Keep being awesome :)

It seems reasonable to have this mechanic in the game, I am just begging that this is expensive as all get out. I'm fine with a big city hub here and there being shielded, but I really hope it's expensive enough not every little outpost can be protected. I would be disappointed if everywhere you looked, every outpost, has a shield.

9 minutes ago, Lethys said:

But please, PLEASE, add a dps saturation to them so blobs don't get an advantage

Do you mean with that, that the dome can get only a maximum amount of damage per second? Wouldn't that automatically mean, that even with a lot of people you would need a lot of time, because at a specific point it doesn't make any difference to shoot with more people on it?

@NQ-Nyzaltar

There are two instances in the text where you wrote areno instead of are no.

A few questions:

1. If there are no offensive actions in Arkship & Moon secure areas, how do you then claim already claimed territories?
  2. Is it always possible to enter claimed territorries?
  3. Can we get more information about moon secure areas? Are they on every moon or only in special places on some moons?

About the force field:

It should be possible to set up the precise time, when the force field is shutting down, for example "08:00 zulu" instead of "after 8 hours". Maybe even with the option of saying "at least X hours after the shield was taken down", so that the shield is not shutting down 5 minutes after beeing taken down at 07:55...

My immediate concern about the MSA is that they'll be used as a proxy staging area for everybody:

You find an active planet with valuable resources.

Go to the closest satellite.

Claim a sanctuary zone.

Load with your choice of ships/ammunition.

Gank miners.

Stockpile in the secure area.

Something about that is a little bit unsettling to me. If someone is really being a nuisance in your area, I feel they'd be over-protected.

It seems the regular TUs can be used for city sized areas. Not as restricted like the smaller bubbles are with what you can do. The small bubbles seem like something to be placed when you log out for the night, place it on your ship, let it float, log back in tomorrow to find someone put your shield into the timer. No harm, hopfully they arnt waiting just outside the bubble. Start her up, put down the bubble and be on your way.

43 minutes ago, FleetAdmiralCoke said:

I had a concern about the Secure Areas.  In the Devblog, you guys listed three different types of areas, the ASA, MSA, and UA.  This seems to restrict the amount of safe building zones to very small areas in very specific places.

I can't speak for other organizations, but I know that several of the larger organizations have talked about building cities as a project.  In a lot of cases, we're choosing the locations of these cities because of their geographic locations and those won't necessarily be predetermined secure areas.  Will it be planned to be able to protect these cities and creations later on when they are not in the designated secure zones?

Not necessarily Coke. I think you're confusing UA with a secure area...

UA's are everything outside of the ArkZone and MoonZone. The way I understood it was, that ASA and MSA are the  Safe Zones we've been discussing all the time. The UA is just another fancy name for the territories outside those Safe Zones. Which we still knew that those zones would be subject to the RDMS system. And we still know those can be secured by "Force Field". 

You CAN have your cities and be protected by Force Fields and RDMS, but once that Force Field Drops, as per the what the blog states, the 24-48 protection bubble will go online, after that,  anything is free to happen, whatever happens.

Destruction maybe? - I think this is fair, 24-48hrs is more than plenty time to get notified and take actions before its completely destroyed.

Cheers,
Comrademoco

Looking forward for more details and other gameplay features before setting on an opinion.
The idea doesn't look bad so far.

Two questions though:

• With ASA (Arkship Secure Area), what allows players to move around if all tiles are claimed ?
  • What about illegal mining / building in controlled territories ? I understood  in previous iterations that territory control and RDMS only set permissions and protect structures, but only log and prompt when someone is, for example, mining in your territory. Is this still up to date ?

Regards,

Shadow

25 minutes ago, Takao said:

Do you mean with that, that the dome can get only a maximum amount of damage per second? Wouldn't that automatically mean, that even with a lot of people you would need a lot of time, because at a specific point it doesn't make any difference to shoot with more people on it?

Yes.

And no, because it just needs to be balanced with enough HP to stop small groups from just killing it and Not so much hp that large groups need more than 4h to kill it. 

If it takes too long then it's just a grindfest and that's not fun to anyone.

Maybe even throw a little shield recharge in there too plus a Minimum amount of damage that needs to be done in order to trigger the mail

Great, much needed with the latest forum trends!

Only question i have is if this means that non-PvPers have a space to be but its empty on resources which makes them have to get outside in the wild if they want to compete at all. In which case i think its an excellent solution, with some things about sanctuary areas still a little unsure to me but acceptable.

Most MMOs with persistent player owned assets implements a cyclic vulnerability timeframe.

Traditionally, the owner (or allowed by RDMS) is able to change the vulnerability period once in a while.

This makes the possession immune to most actions outside of this vulnerability window where it can be challenged.

I like the part where NQ plans to alert the player via email. But in truth, in 2018, NQ should implement webhooks and or APIs ;)

I very much approve of the categories of territory tiles. I think sanctuary tiles are a great idea, but I have a few questions:

Will the MSA be located on only moons, or are they meant to be found on every planetoid aside Alioth? (and if only moons, will there be an ASA on the planet instead?) 

Will there be multiple groups of sanctuary tiles spread across the surface? 

Can Sanctuary tiles be taken as part of a war?

If not, is there a way (direct or indirect) to gain ownership of a sanctuary tile when the owner is uncooperative or gone? (and would Sanctuary Control Units make a difference?)

4 minutes ago, mrjacobean said:

I very much approve of the categories of territory tiles. I think sanctuary tiles are a great idea, but I have a few questions:

Will the MSA be located on only moons, or are they meant to be found on every planetoid aside Alioth? (and if only moons, will there be an ASA on the planet instead?) 

Will there be multiple groups of sanctuary tiles spread across the surface? 

Can Sanctuary tiles be taken as part of a war?

If not, is there a way (direct or indirect) to gain ownership of a sanctuary tile when the owner is uncooperative or gone? (and would Sanctuary Control Units make a difference?)

I have the same questions. 

I assume the MSA would be an contiguous area similar to the AMA I.e it is a preset area of safety with no resources spawned there. My second assumption is that the MSA's are only on Alioths moons. Why? Because invulnerable staging areas for all planets seem a  bit of a mess.

Finally a form of upkeep (or keep alive switch) for the safe areas seems more and more necessary.

Though these are just assumptions, some answers to those questions would be greeaaat ;)

Once the Protection Bubble is down, there will be a cooldown timer before it can be reactivated. In addition, we plan to have an optional notification system that could inform you via email address when your territory is under attack.

One suggestion here would be that this would be a great place where a Novaquark provided API would be handy to have. 

Emails get lost for all sorts of reasons, and having a notification show up on my phone would be extremely useful in events like this. 

Just now, Kurock said:

I have the same questions. 

I assume the MSA would be an contiguous area similar to the AMA I.e it is a preset area of safety with no resources spawned there. My second assumption is that the MSA's are only on Alioths moons. Why? Because invulnerable staging areas for all planets seem a  bit of a mess.

Finally a form of upkeep (or keep alive switch) for the safe areas seems more and more necessary.

Though these are just assumptions, some answers to those questions would be greeaaat ;)

Yes, clarification would be great.  I have a feeling MSAs will be found throughout the entire universe, not just the starting moons.  Simply because NQ has stated they will be discoverable.  

I like the idea of just the starting moons to be protected, as that creates a central hub for protection and main commerce.  But I could see them throwing a Moon here and there as safe.  The only problem is (as you say) organizations taking control and using them as staging areas.  Since they’re protected, no one would be able to contest it.  

I’d also hope that “afk” or inactive territory units would wiped clean somehow after something like 15-30 days.  In MSAs and the ASAs of course.

9 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

One suggestion here would be that this would be a great place where a Novaquark provided API would be handy to have. 

Emails get lost for all sorts of reasons, and having a notification show up on my phone would be extremely useful in events like this. 

I’ve never had an email get lost, unless I have some strange whitelisting protocols in place.  Might get sent to junk, but that’s an easy fix.

Another option is something like:

https://m.wikihow.com/Email-to-a-Cell-Phone

I’ve always known it’s possible, but I’ve never sent an email to my phone personally.  However, seems like they just need your number and carrier to build the domain.

That way they wouldn’t have to implement two systems.  One for emails, and one for phones.

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

I’ve never had an email get lost, unless I have some strange whitelisting protocols in place.  Might get sent to junk, but that’s an easy fix.

Another option is something like:

https://m.wikihow.com/Email-to-a-Cell-Phone

I’ve always known it’s possible, but I’ve never sent an email to my phone personally.  However, seems like they just need your number and carrier to build the domain.

I'm talking about mail going to a spam folder. What will end up happening is that people will miss notifications because they don't check their spam folders 24/7. 

I've had emails from the IRS, my Bank, my Auto Lender, etc. all end up in spam box from time to time. I even had a car payment get lost and found out about it the hard way because the email went to spam. I get hundreds of spam emails a day. 

Email to your cell # isn't a suitable replacement for a true API service, and getting these kinds of notifications to pop on your phone will be a lot more noticeable. Not only that, but if they're going to add an API anyways at some point in time, this is the kind of stuff that would be extremely useful to have in it. 

18 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

I'm talking about mail going to a spam folder. What will end up happening is that people will miss notifications because they don't check their spam folders 24/7. 

I've had emails from the IRS, my Bank, my Auto Lender, etc. all end up in spam box from time to time. I even had a car payment get lost and found out about it the hard way because the email went to spam. I get hundreds of spam emails a day. 

Email to your cell # isn't a suitable replacement for a true API service, and getting these kinds of notifications to pop on your phone will be a lot more noticeable. Not only that, but if they're going to add an API anyways at some point in time, this is the kind of stuff that would be extremely useful to have in it. 

Have you ever sent an email to your phone?  Wouldn’t it simply send you a text containing the plaintext of the email?  Seems sufficient to me.  Like I said, I’ve never had a use for it, but seems like there’s one here.  Why waste time creating an API when you can utilize the same e-mail service you plan on using for the rest of the population who is content with email notifications.

Looking into it, seems like I’m right.  Sends you a text message, which would just be dished out like a normal email.  If that’s not sufficient you deserve the base to fall haha.

It’s free of course, as long as you receive sms texts.

Edit:

Also, how hard is it to send NQ emails to your main inbox?  Easy as two clicks.

If NQ wants to create an API great.  If not, seems like an easy solution 

Anyway, seems off topic for this thread to begin with.

An API is cool and all, but opens Du to botters as they can (and will) use data from that API to get an edge. They should take their time with such a thing and carefully consider it - it has huge advantages but also huge downsides If not done right