UNSC? Halo?

Lt_Halo

Mostly - as far as I have seen people have at least tried being original with their content. Creating it as they go along - not using stuff from other games. Maybe you can try this as well?

Just a suggestion. 

It'll happen, you just have to give it time.

Whilst originality will help an org. possibly grow quicker, the familiar name will probably attract people. 
It's only a matter of time to see how this all goes, really, I'm sure more will start popping up. 

IMO Original Factions or Factions that just reference a franchise (or real faction) are more interstening and exiting than exact copies of already existing factions

I agree. Any approach has pros and cons however. Take the Empire for example or anything, really. HALO, Umbrella (Resident Evil) etc.

It's not really that creative to use in my book. But it's already known and can attract a specific fanbase "the best". In addition there's already plenty of multimedia / artwork you can utilize. But perhaps at the same time it can seem unfitting (wrong "lore") or at least raise eyebrows and you are somewhat stuck to that theme, whereas other orgs can build their own story.

In the end its relative. I personally do not aim for exact copies from other franchises or universes.

In the end, you have to be happy with your choice. If not, adapt.