PvP System

Captain Jack

Just now, Hades said:

That’s not equatable at all.  With your logic, shields shouldn’t be a thing.

There is no logic.  Only sandbox.

If you want shields you have to hire other players to lay on the hull of your ship and act as human armor.

Sorry I don't make the rules.  

I’d recommend removing your posts, as they are deliberate misinformation and troll behavior.  Wouldn’t want to confuse new players who happen upon the thread.

There has been a lot of back and forth in this thread, with good discussions.  If you can’t retain that level of professionalism, I’d recommend moving on.

@Hades This is a discussion on future game mechanics.  I was obviously making a little joke about how some people seem to use those type of arguments to try to shoot down anyone else's suggestions.  But joke or no I can suggest anything I want.  If you don't like it feel free to offer your own suggestions.  Please try to keep your comments towards me in the future strictly game related.  I'm not really interested in your opinions on my level of professionalism.

Thanks.

@Hades it was obviously a troll and funny comment, let it be. 

Some want landmark 2.0 with no PvP at all, safe passage everywhere and high value minerals. There may be PvP somewhere but hey, those guys deserve to have the hardest life of all. 

None of them thinks of all the implications this might bring (and they're actively ignoring what NQ already said)

25 minutes ago, Lethys said:

@Hades it was obviously a troll and funny comment, let it be. 

Some want landmark 2.0 with no PvP at all, safe passage everywhere and high value minerals. There may be PvP somewhere but hey, those guys deserve to have the hardest life of all. 

None of them thinks of all the implications this might bring (and they're actively ignoring what NQ already said)

I disagree, obvious troll and funny comments don't belong in a discussion that uninformed players can happen upon.  Unless you are confident that everyone will interpret it as a troll and funny comment, which is a bad assumption to make at any time.  Or if you give clarification of course. 

It's not uncommon for people to read the last few threads... suppose we're past that point now... but it stands, I've read snippets in the center of a chain before.  Heck, I've been a person to misinterpret something because I just read a few snippets where someone was sarcastic/messing around.  My fault or theirs?  I'd say blame lies on both, but the situation could have been avoided.

Especially on one that is such a hot topic.  For future behavior anyhow, wouldn't recommend it. 

13 minutes ago, Mod-Meldrik said:

Last reminder: keep conversations civil and don't derails topics.

~ Meldrik

Yeah, sorry.  Was probably my fault that time.  Suppose I can try and put it back on some rails, although, I do stand by my commitment that trolling has no place in a serious discussion.

10 hours ago, Takao said:

Why should this be boring?
You don't fight battles in deep space over nothing.

You fight over space stations or above critical locations on planets.

If you need to bring down equipment on planets at specific locations, those ships will need protection. With the somewhat realistic orbits and flight between planets there will be "tunnels" where ships need to get though in order to get from one planet to another, so as an attacker you need to clear them.

I honestly believe that the more personable combat will occur far away from stations, and major hubs on planets.  The reason being is, they don't want to be taken out by a bigger fish in the area.  There are other reasons of course as well.  If you find a rich resource vein in deep space, and some explorer is coming through... you'd probably want to take them out.  Who wants to potentially share a rich vein?  Another reason could be you're almost out of fuel, and may have to head back but you see another ship and try and steal their fuel pods.

Actual planetary/station takeovers will be large groups of course.

I think combat will be all over, and for various reasons.  You may not explicitly engage the situation or have some shiny fancy ship, but the attacker may want to prevent or gain something you haven't thought of.  And as such, you may be a target when you least expect it.

23 minutes ago, Lethys said:

I would post it if I had time to search for it

“What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.” 
― Christopher Hitchens

Judging from the latest AMA, I believe it is too soon to tell.

1 hour ago, Kurock said:

― Christopher Hitchens

Lazy boys both of you https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/01/30/our-toughts-on-territory-protection-mechanics/  "The owner of a territory located outside of a Secure Area will be able to set up a Force Field Unit to protect their Normal Territories. (Force Field Unit is a temporary name."

8 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

Lazy boys both of you https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/01/30/our-toughts-on-territory-protection-mechanics/  "The owner of a territory located outside of a Secure Area will be able to set up a Force Field Unit to protect their Normal Territories. (Force Field Unit is a temporary name."

That was not the question. A Force Field Unit is not an indication bubble.

10 minutes ago, Kurock said:

That was not the question. A Force Field Unit is not an indication bubble.

Honestly, I think interdiction bubbles would add a completely new dynamic rarely seen in video games.  Heck, I don’t think I can even name one where you can pop someone out of the safety net of hyperspace.  It makes sense though, set up an emp zone between gate one and gate two, and they’d have to drop out of hyperspace or w/e you want to call it.

Have a large org that has been picking on you lately?  Well well well, spy on them awhile and figure out their supply runs...  and intercept them.

Granted, this is all late game when we have interstellar unlocked.  But it adds an entirely new vector to the game.

Perhaps the bubble would only work on larger craft, in order to be balanced.  Or large amounts of small ships.  It would require careful movements of fleets and whatnot.  I like it.

I can’t remember NQ talking about it, but I do remember a discussion on the topic awhile back... which makes me think NQ has brought it up as a possibility.

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Honestly, I think interdiction bubbles would add a completely new dynamic rarely seen in video games.  Heck, I don’t think I can even name one where you can pop someone out of the safety net of hyperspace. 

Elite: Dangerous has Interdictions.  I definitely like the idea for DU but I'm not a huge fan of how it works in E:D so hopefully NQ can improve on the mechanic a bit.

In E:D it's like a mini game that pops up for both players, after the interdicting players get's behind the other player and initiates it.  You both have to keep a target in your sights as it moves around the screen, and depending on who does better the person being interdicted either gets away or is knocked out of hyperspace.

So what do people think? how should it work? A mini game or something similar? or something else completely?

Hmm, so in elite dangerous you have to have a lock on them already?  Your interdiction bubble just brings them out of hyperspace?

What happens if you’re in their path, but you don’t have a lock on them because they’re going too fast and you can’t really see them.

@Hades Yeah you have to be in hyperspace and lock on to them and get in range, and then initiate the interdiction.  Then you have to keep them in range and in front of you long enough to finish it.  While they try to evade you.

It's the evasion part of it that i'm not a fan of, because it just seems unrealistic.  Rather then using your own strategy to evade them you have to follow this target on your screen as if you're also chasing someone, and if you don't keep up with it then you get knocked out of hyperspace.

I guess it will have to be different in DU since it sounds like FTL travel will be from one point to another.  So everyone will be traveling along the same paths.  In Elite:Dangerous you just have an FTL drive and can travel anywhere with it.

So in DU everyone will already know the path that someone will be traveling in hyperspace.  So maybe interdiction would be done by building something along the path, that knocks everyone out of hyperspace.

I wonder if we will be able to drop out of FTL in between gates?  Or once you start you just pop out at the other end.

16 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I wonder if we will be able to drop out of FTL in between gates?  Or once you start you just pop out at the other end.

Gate is the wrong word here imho as those ftl points will Not be the same as stargates.

As you already said, those points are placed by players thus enabling them to travel between such points (or the whole Network). So interdiction in between makes sense.

It comes at a high cost though: 

You would need to "scan" those lanes in order to know where to setup that interdiction sphere.

Fly there with sub ftl (which May take hours!)

Set it up there (however hard that May be)

Intercept the ship (IF someone passes there while you wait. Spaigames ftw)

Kill it and possible guards (they can Set traps for pirates too ofc - maybe they WANT to be interdicted)

Bring in a transport for all the goods (or have it with you but hidden somewhere)

Get away there and fly Home....for hours again

And that’s precisely how it should be ^

Time consuming, but rewarding depending on your goal.

That’s the only reason I don’t think we should be able to just jump out of FTL.  It wouldn’t be very difficult at that point, as you just have to jump out of FTL and set up an interdiction point.

These things need hours/days/weeks in the planning to be done right.  

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Captain Jack said:

What part of PvP matters in this game? I want to be farming in a forest and see big space ships flying overhead and feel small. Not threatened. Is that possible?

I have no idea what you guys are on about FTL and Stargates but, I feel like I need to revisit the answer I gave in regards to the topic from the OP...

What part of PvP matters in this game?
To be honest, it really depends on what you define as pvp; combat? social? physiological? industrial? market? 

In the case of combat pvp and being safe, well that horse has been beaten to death and back to life to be once again beaten do death once again, over and over, but seeing the latest news regarding ASA and MSA zones, the answer to this question is relatively simple...

Yes, you can be farming -hypothetically, since there's no farming in du- and see big ships flying above you making you feel small, and not being threatened. Is it possible. Yes. But honestly, it doesn't have to be just ASA or MSA zones. The universe is vast enough that there will be places that can or wont represent tactical or resourceful advantages to any organization. You could -in theory- set you "farming life" there and be safe without the worry of being threaten. Rises the question, for how long though? I don't know, months, years, decades? In which case it would be time to move to another place and set up again. Nomad life. (looks at NQ-Nomad :P)

But Comrade, what's the point on all this wall-of-text?

Simple: There is none, there is no point,. "There is no secret ingredient ~ Mr. Ping. Kung Fu Panda" as I don't know how the universe will be once is has been fully developed.

You carve your own story, your own path, those choices will lead you to any kind of pvp, combat? market? social? Like in real life you aren't always safe, you cant always be safe in DU - regardless if you're in a safe zone or not. 

TL:DR; What type of pvp maters in DU? Depends on how YOU define it and what path you carve on your story to define that pvp. Will you be safe? Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter? You define that!

Cheers,
Comrademoco

On 9.2.2018 at 4:33 PM, Kurock said:

― Christopher Hitchens

Our beloved twerk found it:

AMA pt 2:

"FTL will be handled in a very basic way at release, but we might add the fact that FTL flight happens in a "parallel" hyper universe in a later stage after the initial release. The idea would be then that FTL travel happens in a hyper space, where you could possibly add bubbles that, when intersected, would take you out of FTL space, back into normal space"

On 11/02/2018 at 6:55 AM, Lethys said:

Our beloved twerk found it:

AMA pt 2:

"FTL will be handled in a very basic way at release, but we might add the fact that FTL flight happens in a "parallel" hyper universe in a later stage after the initial release. The idea would be then that FTL travel happens in a hyper space, where you could possibly add bubbles that, when intersected, would take you out of FTL space, back into normal space"

From the recent AMA:-

Tsunami: How exactly do you imagine FTL Engines (Faster than Light) and Stargates? How does it works?
NQ-Sophon: It’s a long topic, we will probably shoot a DevBlog on this. But the key idea is that for both, you’ll need anchor points at destination, that you need to setup first. Then you can travel faster between points of your network.

So the Anchor Point Network (APN) idea is quite interesting, creating INFRASTRUCTURE in space, perhaps Douglas Adams was right, afterall, about the eventual fate of the Earth?!

This is probably a lot better than my "Engines over a certain size to house FTL/Hyper-Jump Engines" idea. :blink:

9 minutes ago, MookMcMook said:

From the recent AMA:-

So the Anchor Point Network (APN) idea is quite interesting, creating INFRASTRUCTURE in space, perhaps Douglas Adams was right, afterall, about the eventual fate of the Earth?!

This is probably a lot better than my "Engines over a certain size to house FTL/Hyper-Jump Engines" idea. :blink:

I reffered to the interdiction sphere. But basically both quotes are pretty much the same

• 2 months later...
On 22/1/2018 at 12:17 AM, Captain Jack said:

What part of PvP matters in this game? I want to be farming in a forest and see big space ships flying overhead and feel small. Not threatened. Is that possible?

The part of farming (food, animals, logs, etc) it's not clear, at least at the beginning. But I hope it will be done, for soooo many reasons.