PvP System

Captain Jack

No, I actually do (kind of remember that) but I don’t think it was an answer to what you call “gankers and griefers”.  I took it to mean that if organizations can’t provide stability, they’ll try and figure something out.  Not by direct interference but implementing systems (territory control units with certain privileges or something) to help provide stability and get things moving.

Anyway, I suppose it’s interpretation.  Once again, something that will hopefully be clarified by the blog coming up.  If NQ gets involved because a few gankers are rampant, we will have a dull game indeed.

I’ll wait for the blog and make a decision after that.

8 hours ago, Lethys said:

I don't quite get why one would need to take guesses here.

The safezone will be there from day 1.

Weapons will be there from day 1 (your nanoformer is a weapon).

Everything else will be emergent - and as I already said: it's not NQs job to prevent pvp outside the safezone. It's our job as players. NQs job is to come up with emergent, fun, balanced and fair mechanics. And again: being able to attack someone outside the safezone is NOT unfair. nor unbalanced

It depends how much one takes current information at face value as well as emphasizing that projecting potential trajectories of DU is only partly from settled information but also estimation of possible change.

I have no problem with PvP per se, to repeat, in fact I'm a very positive advocate of PvP, when and where it fits in for whom: It has a schedule which I'd argue is behind other schedules such as building, which we already see great things about even now in pre-alpha eg the latest twitter picture is awesome.

1 minute ago, MookMcMook said:

Thanks for linking, always good to read: Yes those are their current thoughts and they're imo to guess, likely not the final verdict by a big stretch or two. We'll have to wait and see.

No but that's what Du is about for now and ppl should accept and realise this. 

13 minutes ago, Lethys said:

No but that's what Du is about for now and ppl should accept and realise this. 

No problem with disagreeing, of course it is counter to stated intention and information. But this is development now and when the game does release it's emergent in how it will work for players, additionally. Because the devs are not going for scripted develped content, it is what it will be.

38 minutes ago, MookMcMook said:

Thanks for linking, always good to read: Yes those are their current thoughts and they're imo to guess, likely not the final verdict by a big stretch or two. We'll have to wait and see.

Considering they’ve had the same mindset for over two years now, I’d say it’s pretty likely that the game will be more or less as defined in the update and the Kickstarter.

NQ knows what game they want to build, and I’m 100% behind it.  If you’re not, that’s okay... that’s how development usually works out.  I wanted to love face of mankind fall of the dominion, but there were a good amount of changes I did not support.  However, my vision wasn’t being created... it was the devs.  Turned out being fun for the year or so it lasted.

You can still enjoy DU, you’ll just have to be careful about it.  An important thing to note is that currency is always safe.

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Considering they’ve had the same mindset for over two years now, I’d say it’s pretty likely that the game will be more or less as defined in the update and the Kickstarter.

NQ knows what game they want to build, and I’m 100% behind it.  If you’re not, that’s okay... that’s how development usually works out.  I wanted to love face of mankind fall of the dominion, but there were a good amount of changes I did not support.  However, my vision wasn’t being created... it was the devs.  Turned out being fun for the year or so it lasted.

You can still enjoy DU, you’ll just have to be careful about it.  An important thing to note is that currency is always safe.

That's all very comforting to hear! :D

As always, keep in mind that everything described below is still under development and can be subject to heavy changesbefore the official release

That’s all for now! Remember that everything presented here is a work in progress and can evolve with playtests, community feedback and in-game testing.

Actually I assumed I'd read that devblog, which I had not in fact so apologies and a second thank you to Lethys . Nonetheless it's positive, I think in this the devs are in fact EXTENDING the safe spaces idea: They'll likely end up extending it some more...

On 31/01/2018 at 8:58 AM, MookMcMook said:

That's all very comforting to hear! :D

Actually I assumed I'd read that devblog, which I had not in fact so apologies and a second thank you to Lethys . Nonetheless it's positive, I think in this the devs are in fact EXTENDING the safe spaces idea: They'll likely end up extending it some more...

If I remember correctly the devs have for a while now indicated that there will be several other discoverable safe zones around planet surfaces. The one around the arkship is to provide safety for newbies starting the game. As time rolls on other safe zones will be discovered, and areas will be claimed by orgs with the resources to do so.

And if you get shot at - thats emergent game play, not griefers, maybe pirates, regardless they are playing the game their way, so wave at them and smile, variety is the spice of life - and we want this to be a living game.

So lots of safety, lots of risk and reward - sounds like its going to be great fun!

16 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

If I remember correctly the devs have for a while now indicated that there will be several other discoverable safe zones around planet surfaces. The one around the arkship is to provide safety for newbies starting the game. As time rolls on other safe zones will be discovered, and areas will be claimed by orgs with the resources to do so.

And if you get shot at - thats emergent game play, not griefers, maybe pirates, regardless they are playing the game their way, so wave at them and smile, variety is the spice of life - and we want this to be a living game.

So lots of safety, lots of risk and reward - sounds like its going to be great fun!

I don't think there's any need to be hasty. All these ideas fulfill various requirements:-

* Beginner area

* Builders area

* Real World schedule pause for all players

* Mixing up the map with various options for builders and pvp

I think come beta we'll see how they mix and match. I do think sending a clear message to builder players that they can find a huge area to build in game might be a sensible move (that red planet in the Alioth System perhaps), otherwise clickbait journalists will throw open the "Stunning DU allows incredible buildings but at a dear price of open world pvp: Discuss/Flame on in the Comments!"

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

Looks like the discoverable zones will not be on planet surfaces in the current plan.  They will be found on some moons, and the arkship of course 

This plan just came out a few days ago on the devblog :)

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Nah, they just say in dev blog is that there will be a safe zone on Alioth  ( ASA ) and Moon Safe Area ( MSA ) and MSA will near the ASA .

AND NQ had said that there will be Ark ship in other system and player have to discover it, once new Ark ship have been discovered, it will become a spawn location (like Ark Ship on Allioth ) mean that who new log in game have 2 option to choose which ASA to spawn. And also the new ASA will have MSA near it too.

But to find another Ark ship i think it will TAKE TIME, we dont know how many yet but still maybe large amount of time to do so.

I hope when a player discover another Ark Ship, there will be a monument or something to save the name of that player who has found it =]].

4 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

And if you get shot at - thats emergent game play, not griefers, maybe pirates,

Yeah, because anything can be justified by the term "emergent gameplay"

That isn't emergent gameplay. Emergent gameplay is when players define the game mechanics, not the devs.  PvP/griefing/piracy/ganking isn't emergent gameplay when it has been around forever in places like EVE and 2b2t and when the devs expressly allow such actions.

4 hours ago, MookMcMook said:

I do think sending a clear message to builder players that they can find a huge area to build in game might be a sensible move

I think that is false advertising(unless by "huge area to build in" you mean "huge area to build in that is unprotected to destruction"). The safezone might seem huge but when there are 1000s of players trying to take their own section of the safezone the amount of space that is actually useable won't be very large.

37 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

I think that is false advertising(unless by "huge area to build in" you mean "huge area to build in that is unprotected to destruction"). The safezone might seem huge but when there are 1000s of players trying to take their own section of the safezone the amount of space that is actually useable won't be very large.

I mean "huge area to build" = "huge area to build that is protected to begin with". Devs already said the current areas are big calculating how many hexes and km^2 that is.

So there should be a clear message that "pure builders" will have a place to enjoy the game. Bear in mind this is a bootstrap effect of the Early Phase of the game's development: When actual large player orgs develop with large territory control then, builders can find places inside such creations.

Bear in mind player orgs elsewhere (in pvp space) will have a wider net of variable resource qualities and types giving them competitive advantage: Everyone wins.

54 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Well that huge area are actually pretty big you know ? it can hold thousand of hexagon  territory size and each hexagon have each side is 1 Km mean it very huge . And also they are promise that the TU ( Territory Unit ) is very expensive, a solo / small group cant make it ( or can but will take long time to gather enough resource ) so it will be a huge safe area for builder, for anything you want. Also i think it can even hold 10000 player without the feeling of crowd.

1 hour ago, ShioriStein said:

Also i think it can even hold 10000 player without the feeling of crowd.

But what about 10000 people and their constructs? As I understand it, the arkship will have a radius of around 25 km. Thats 625 (pi) km^2 or around 1900 km^2. So if there are 10000 people living in the safezone, each player will get around 500 m^2. Kinda getting crowded...

10 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

But what about 10000 people and their constructs? As I understand it, the arkship will have a radius of around 25 km. Thats 625 (pi) km^2 or around 1900 km^2. So if there are 10000 people living in the safezone, each player will get around 500 m^2. Kinda getting crowded...

I think they plan to add more Arkships (or allow them to be discovered) on other planets as Ailoth fills up.

34 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Are you sure 10000 people will act dependent , each will build a construct and not gather around ?

My country got 274 people / Km2 but sure not all area of my country is 274 / Km2 . That also will happen with safe zone, everyone will gather into multi group and the space of course will not so crowd

7 hours ago, 0something0 said:

That isn't emergent gameplay. Emergent gameplay is when players define the game mechanics, not the devs.  PvP/griefing/piracy/ganking isn't emergent gameplay when it has been around forever in places like EVE and 2b2t and when the devs expressly allow such actions.

Im pretty sure NQ will be the ones defining the game mechanics, not the players...... (thats not to say the players wont have input but the final say is up to the devs.)

If you dont like the idea of being shot at outside of a safe zone then thats your issue. Be safe in a safe zone, thats what its for, go outside of a safe zone and anything is fair game - just like in real life. Toughen up a little.

And a 20km area radius city is a huge city - could hold millions, just like in real life. I doubt if someone chooses to live there they will feel crowded, otherwise they would just move elsewhere.

Remember that not everyone is a builder, I doubt long term more than 20% of the population will be builders as people will come to enjoy the environment that has been built. So space for creating builds wont be a huge issue. Remember, up is also a place you can build/test constructs, it doesnt all have to be on the ground ;)

9 hours ago, 0something0 said:

That is not how it works. By your logic anything that has already been around in other games cannot be emergent in DU. BS if you ask me. The very definition of it is creative solutions, complex situations that emerge from simple mechanics. There's even something called intentional emergence such as similar situations intended by devs. Either way we've been given the tools. And if people find unexpected ways to do PvP or literally anything else it is very much emergent gameplay, you can't just dismiss it pointing at another game. See, other games does not set the standard for what will be emergent in DU since it's a new game in itself that comes with its own complexity and player solutions to problems. 

11 hours ago, Zamarus said:

That is not how it works. By your logic anything that has already been around in other games cannot be emergent in DU. BS if you ask me. The very definition of it is creative solutions, complex situations that emerge from simple mechanics. There's even something called intentional emergence such as similar situations intended by devs. Either way we've been given the tools. And if people find unexpected ways to do PvP or literally anything else it is very much emergent gameplay, you can't just dismiss it pointing at another game. See, other games does not set the standard for what will be emergent in DU since it's a new game in itself that comes with its own complexity and player solutions to problems. 

I don't find "blow em' up" as "creative solutions [and] complex situations that emerge from simple mechanics." I find it as something that is obvious and simple and has been made clear by the devs as something straightforward to do. Find someone you don't like? Blow em' up. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

Do you guys think that PvP thugs and gankers should be allowed to have safe harbor in the safe zones? That one is tricky as not all PvPers are mean people, but providing PvPers the same protections as non PvPers, doesn't seem right either.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at. Everyone has the opportunity to utilise the exact same stuff in the game, how are you gonna do that