Engine Sound Customization

Atlas5

Not sure what the space craft and other vehicle engines sound like in game, but I thought It would be a cool idea to be able to customize the engine sounds. I know some engines are larger and some smaller. Those changes should effect the sounds it makes. 

Almost similar to the customization we should be getting with Space Craft UI with speedometers and altitude we should be able to customize the same with the sounds like adjusting the loudness, rumble, vibration, echo, crackling, and other sound parameters. Maybe have a simple sound editor in the scripts or just be able to pull up a menu when selecting engine types and be able to adjust simple sliders to adjust the sound it produces. Maybe even ship interior sounds like mechanical and electrical beeping.

What do you guys think?

I think this would be very cool!

Nah, i think we shouldnt got custom sound. There will be some troublemaker use this to troll, annoy people and also sound maybe will be important factor for stealth or hide away. So i dont think custom sound is good, we should be having more engine type and each will do something different than the other and use for different situation, no?

10 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

Nah, i think we shouldnt got custom sound. There will be some troublemaker use this to troll, annoy people and also sound maybe will be important factor for stealth or hide away. So i dont think custom sound is good, we should be having more engine type and each will do something different than the other and use for different situation, no?

I think the OP was suggesting sliders to adjust different elements of the provided engine noises, not custom imported sounds. Assuming the engine sounds have multiple elements, though not sure they do.

I really like the idea. I mean, customization is a key element of this game and variations in sound would go a long way in adding variety.

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

I think the OP was suggesting sliders to adjust different elements of the provided engine noises, not custom imported sounds. Assuming the engine sounds have multiple elements, though not sure they do.

Nah i'm again that idea, i will agree if slider will change the noise  also the efficient of that element as well. 

Well we can have element like camo flag to adjust the sound to go stealth no ? Space ship not like a gun where you can put another part on it to modify it stats like sound and accuracy, it is engine .

But from i hear element in game cant be modify isnt it ?

3 minutes ago, Atlas5 said:

you might be able to import sound through html coding, but not sure on that yet. But yes adjustments to already imported sounds was my main point.

Hmm but it still bad, it will couse some stress to the server ? Remember a lot of guy play the game it we may consider 10000 player and 500 + ship as a same time. I dont want my sound become broken because 500 custom sound make the server stress and my internet cant download the sound at a same time.

i agree i t might put stress on server but so does everything else. at the end of the day it matters that the game is immersive. One of those important elements is sound. Since the rest of the game is dependent on player content and already we have customized UI for In cockpit, plus other customized features. we should be able to customize sounds. plus they could make so it just produces that sound just for that player and not everyone else hence keeping the servers from increasing stress.

I do love the different engine sounds of different ships in Elite Dangerous.

Being able to tweak the sounds of your ship could help a lot with making it feel like the type of ship you're trying to build.  In terms of it sounding like a rusty space bucket or a sleek modern ship.

Sounds good to me.  :ph34r:

Size of the Engine affects it's sound? lol. That depends on the bypass-ratio of the engine (lower-bypass produce less noise, believe it or not, because much of the noise will be contained in the exhaust). The Rotor-Blades(the Fan-Blades from the Intake of Compressor, especially), they are the cause of most of the noise in the Powerplant. Now, noise-production does not depend on the size(span) of the blades, but how fast it's rotating in RPM (once it reached supersonic-speed needed for takeoff, it becomes loud). This is called "Aerodynamic-noise" and it's the main of source of noise produced by aircrafts(and their powerplant, and their powerplant alone). Rotor-Blades make Aerodynamic-noise, they work through aerodynamics.

It depends on what type of exhaust too. Short-Duct-Converging-Nozzle with a Plug can reduce the noise produced by the exhaust(which comes from the Turbine-Blades). Also, if you are to taper a nozzle, it does reduce the sound too.

look at this picture, the green-triangle on the aft of the engine (on the exhaust), is the plug, and covering it, is the short-duct-nozzle;

HtsVp.jpg 

It's not the size of the engine-nacelle, it's not the size of it's components(such as span of the blades) that affects it's noise-production, but the RPM of Blades, types and noise-reduction-designs of exhaust-system, and the bypass-ratio (primary-bypass-flow do not go through the exhaust-duct, it goes out of the bypass-nozzle which is part of the nacelle, so expect that to be loud. This is why in this picture, the exhaust of nacelle, AKA the "bypass-nozzle", it is zigzag-shaped or chevron-shaped, not straight-shaped, because such shape atleast reduce the sound from the bypass to some degree through lessening the turbulence. They designed that engine to be high-bypass because they need fuel-efficiency ofcourse). Smaller-engines can produce just as much sound too, it's not factor to it's size.

What I propose for this game, is make the engines louder when RPM increase. If you want more Thrust(you control this on the Throttle), the blades will have to rotate faster, making the aerodynamic-noise louder. Combustion-noise, in comparison, are not even that loud in real-life. 

Remember DU will have all kinds of vehicles and engines.

This

landscape-1508508230-dmijjxsv4aajc1g.jpg

is going to be slightly louder.

Then this.

51b6fa92d8177d0d9d70b67e455d90b4.jpg

No matter the RPM. 

I think that's what OP was getting at.

But what would be fun to me, engine size aside, is being able to decide whether a ship sounds like it's running smoothly.  Or maybe it sounds like a super loud muscle car.  Or a sputtering piece of crap.

Some simple options like that could go a long way towards making each ship feel unique.

Well, the point is, it's aerodynamic-sound that makes much of the noise produced by powerplants. It is factor to that(unless you have a terribly-designed-exhaust). It's really the blades that makes most of the noise. Same principles with propeller, jet engines have spinning-blades too(and they spin faster).

Yes, DU will have different kinds of engines, including that one you have in the picture which has a divergent-nozzle (it's actually convergent-divergent with divergent-outflow to reach supersonic-speed from subsonic. That nozzle is a good design to increase flow-rate or speed, but terrible in terms of noise-reduction. That thing is loud because the nozzle is not tapered). 

Space-shuttles use the same divergent-nozzle. The nozzle-design has good-flow-rate, but you know, it's loud if you are gonna use that on a jet-engine.

maxresdefault.jpg

Like I said, tapering the nozzle will reduce the noise-signature. Taper = convergent-shape. 

Something like this will produce less sound, but it does limit flow-rate(Bernoulli's law).

Tupolev_Tu-144_engine_nozzle.jpg

The thing is, through nozzle-design, we can limit aerodynamic-noise. Blades still have to spin in order for the engine to work, they must make noise.The faster it spins, the louder and sharper the noise it produce.

So, Aerospikes would be the best for having less nosiey rockets?

I don't think being able to customize engine sound would be very immersive - the engine creates noise because of its processes, not because it has a speaker. What we should be able to do is costume-design engines which changes the sound as a byproduct of the change in engine shape, structure, etc. Yes, player-made engines in a player-made universe.

protip: replace "realistic" with "immersive" to get more support for your realism-based ideas. Also, try to connect that with the concept of "player-run universe".

Maybe something like this but perhaps less daunting. Or, all these things could be running in the background but you have to click "Advanced Mode" for this kinds of things to show up. Game is Children of a Dead Earth FYI.

ss_2726246409d4f3a358434a554771cd9b5a25a

@0something0 I thought about it myself, it's kind of hard to achieve such engine-customization through Sandbox-way(even if you just want Stats and Animation with no physics-involvement) because of the tech-limitation.

We can achieve it though, through Forza-Motorsports-like Parts-Upgrade and Tuning.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Lexus-car in the picture can represent our Engine that already has it's own Nacelle(it is one-Element). There are many Engine-models in this game, just like we have many cars in Forza. There are also many Upgrades within each Engine-models (just need the right-resources to Upgrade the Parts. In Forza, we upgrade by paying for them in CR or Credit, in DU, we can pay for this upgrade through required-Resources that will be consumed). The parts have Stats ofcourse, Stats that you may need for certain-situations such as fuel-efficiency, noise-reduction, weight-reduction, good flow-rate(increase speed), etc. In the tech, you are just upgrading by changing the stats of your model-engine (it's not really physical. If it is, not to a high-degree).

This way, you will have some kind of customization-freedom to how your engine will work and it's own overall-stats(having the right stats is efficient in certain-situations). Getting the suitable-Parts suitable for certain-situations is the "Tuning"-concept in Forza.