Balanced Telerobotics

0something0

I think NQ said that there won't be any remote controlled vessels in the game. But what if there was? But we need constraints.

Constraint 1: You can only have 1 remote controlled vessle active at a time. This will be done by a control station that you have to be using to control the vessel.

Constraint 2: You have to use Lua commands to control the vessel like the space probes of today.

Constraint 3: You need to set up transmission relays and other infastructure. You will need antennas on both the vessel and the control source, and lots of power will be needed for high-bandwidth or long distance communications(or however it works in real life)

Constraint 4: You need to manually point the antennas to communicate. This also means other people can point their antennas and transmit commands to your vessel.

Constraint 5(maybe): Speed of Light Lag

1. They have showed Radio Controlled constructs i nthe DevDiaries

2. They can be scripted with Lua to automatically move depending on your location - again, as demonstrated on the DevDiaries.

3. You can control them by proximity.

If what you mean is "I want to control a construct from the other side of the galaxy", NQ has stated they may allow for it, but at a delayed clock, i.e. updating the construct to act with how the in-game updates work on partitino to partition basis. That's more or less, the in-game equivalent of "Spped of Light" Lag. The updates 10 AUs away, are delayed updates.

That concept of yours, would also demand a Lua Module on the avatars as well to emit Events remotely with the mainframe of the server acting as a stream platform for commands, and while I do find it interesting, NQ has not spoken of it yet, so, it's not a given thing.

4. Encryption today is why you can't just "point your antenna" to the sky and receiving free Satellite TV. What you proposed - at best - would jam the receiver, effectivelly rendering it impossible to function, like a primitive DoS attack.

5. I am intrigued by your insistence on making drone armies happen.You ser, are a baller.

In serious talk, yes, this idea has merit, just not on how you envision it. Remote activation would allow for some interestin economic systems to function without the "need to be in its proximity" thing.

So, if NQ was to add something like remote activation of constructs, they should limit it to Static Constructs only. There are far better ways to handle RC Drones.

10 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

If what you mean is "I want to control a construct from the other side of the galaxy", NQ has stated they may allow for it, but at a delayed clock, i.e. updating the construct to act with how the in-game updates work on partitino to partition basis. That's more or less, the in-game equivalent of "Spped of Light" Lag. The updates 10 AUs away, are delayed updates.

Yes, this is what I meant.

4. Encryption today is why you can't just "point your antenna" to the sky and receiving free Satellite TV. What you proposed - at best - would jam the receiver, effectivelly rendering it impossible to function, like a primitive DoS attack.

5. I am intrigued by your insistence on making drone armies happen.You ser, are a baller.

Players should build their cybersecurity like they build most other things. What if I got my fully automated luxury space drone army unleashed to rampage across the system but it happened to have a bunch of security  flaws like not being encrypted cuz I'm a bad programmer so other people hack into it to kill me? 

*whispers* mind you I only said 1 active vessel at a time

This kind of stuff promotes emergent gameplay (probably) and cyberwarfare could add a whole new dimension to the game, especially when combined with more physical forms of warfare like economic (crypto stealing), espionage (stealing encryption keys), or just plain old attacking relays and other comms infastrucfure. 

12 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Yes, this is what I meant.

Players should build their cybersecurity like they build most other things. What if I got my fully automated luxury space drone army unleashed to rampage across the system but it happened to have a bunch of security  flaws like not being encrypted cuz I'm a bad programmer so other people hack into it to kill me? 

*whispers* mind you I only said 1 active vessel at a time

This kind of stuff promotes emergent gameplay (probably) and cyberwarfare could add a whole new dimension to the game, especially when combined with more physical forms of warfare like economic (crypto stealing), espionage (stealing encryption keys), or just plain old attacking relays and other comms infastrucfure. 

There are better ways for ''cyberwarfare" that are no bottlenecks.