Competition announces itself.. "EVE 2" is coming

blazemonger

There has been speculation and rumours flying around but it appears CCP has now all but officially announced they are working on (for lack of a better title right now) EVE 2 .. A recruitment add for a lead designer on " a new and highly ambitious MMORPG."

Without turning this into a bash fest It would be interesting to discuss what the implications may be even when we really do not know anything about the project.

For me it would only be reasonable to assume the title will be more like DU and less like SC or similar because well, it's been done and frankly I consider EVE to be well above SC in almost any way you look at it. Having a voxel based world in the EVE universe would make sense. The back story is there, the developer has the knowledge and staff who know and understand the lore. It's all guessing and CCP may take this in a completely different direction but I doubt it, especially since everything they do that diverts from EVE has basically failed. EVE itself is still going string but is held back by legacy code especially for the server core and client/server communication. From talking to devs during EVE Vegas it's obvious it is more and more a struggle to get new stuff done because of the legacy code which is so fragile no one really wants to get close to it. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out during FanFest this year as basically the adds now up spill the beans.

For NQ this may mean they need to revise and tighten their development cycle as running into delays where CCP may well have the room and staff to go full steam with many tools and ideas fleshed out. Again, if the CCP title is something else altogether maybe not so much but with CCP having basically shut down everything but EVE now I'd venture to think they are going for EVE 2 here. If CCP were to be aiming to transition EVE into EVE 2 that would pose a potential bigger issue still as far as EVE players coming to DU. For me, I am wuite invested in EVE and if CCP were to allow more freedom close or equal to DU it would be a challenge at least..

Big issue may be that CCP will probably have more and easier access to media and could potentially get more and better coverage once they announce.. We'll have to see..

And no, I do not think this is for the mobile game, frankly that one is not all that great and last we heard was developed by a 3rd party anyway.

if they really go for it then I doubt they will go for a FPS style, voxel based game like DU.

EVE is a good game the way it is - gameplay / perspective / ship control /economy / production / fleet / PVP / PVE wise - they "only" have serious balancing problems, broken mechanics and a huge image issue.

If they really did a FPS style game then they would need to change the feel of eve completely - which would harm their playerbase. You start to play eve because you've heared of some grand conflict or some scam, not because the "glorious" PVE

I'll only believe this if they announce it ;)

Will be interesting to see what it is. A new MMORPG from CCP is kind of exciting, if anyone can pull off an ambitious mmo it is them. But they're not really the same CCP now as they were when they developed Eve, so who knows.

I'm not too worried about its impact on DU.

Mhm, for me it wouldn’t make much sense for a building system (space engineers or vocel) in eve, because it would totally break up the ship designs.

What would make sense for me would be to „simply“ rebuild the game in a proper engine (it looks like the will use Unreal) and improve the netcode.

If they include any form of building then maybe for space stations or bases on planets?

Sorry if I've got this wrong, but I did look into a few things some time ago: I thought there was mention of CCP doing a mobile MMO (rpg?) with spaceships.

I know nothing of the OP's source reference (nor bothered to check atm as I'm slightly sozzled and stuffed from xmas) but I wonder if the two are the same? Note CCP failed unfortunately with WOD, Dusk 50... and Valkyrie not so great either? Hell doing so many projects around the same time and no coherent vision perhaps was the problem?

Mobile makes a lot of commercial sense... just throwing this out there:-

https://www.playraven.com/press-release-playraven-partners-improbable-project-metro/

PlayRaven is currently working with CCP on Project Aurora, an original F2P mobile game set in the EVE universe. Project Aurora is set for release in a limited number of territories in the near future, ahead of a full launch later in 2018.

And:
https://www.nextpowerup.com/news/38840/ccp-announces-mobile-expansion-for-eve-online/

Details about Project Aurora are slim, but it seems like CCP and PlayRaven are trying to offer a mobile game that's relatively similar to Eve Online. It's been described as a massive multiplayer title in which "players must work together to dominate the center of the galaxy."

9 hours ago, blazemonger said:

And no, I do not think this is for the mobile game, frankly that one is not all that great and last we heard was developed by a 3rd party anyway.

Well if it's x1 job posting, then it well might be as per DESIGNER for mobile. The thing is your argument suggests for CCP to win big with their next title, then innovate big... but that's risky and not entirely the core rationale at stake here. Mobile they can innovate big in the monetizationfocus combined with the cool IP and confidence of the CCP EVE brand on the burgeoning mobile platforms. As a side, interestingly playraven are using improbable's SpatialOS for project metro next.

That all said, what NQ are doing is really substantially game-changing in innovation... obviously the trick is: Will it be dang fun, will it make lots of money.

I think the fun will be there, but the money is more tricky, ie it should follow but it does not necessarily which is the nuts world we live in I guess.

16 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

I played Aurora during Eve Vegas.. its's ehrm.. well .. meh

I don't know, without seeing it/playing it. Tbh, even then it's difficult looking at what seems to rake in money in the mobile market then you look at the gameplay and wonder how so many can play and pay such titles, that said I often see posts: "what's an eve for mobile game", "Oh you're after Hades Star" or some other title etc... so it could be off to a positive start, and the collaboration idea seems positive too.

I'd be happy to hear of a new and potentially successful project by CCP though. Though seeing what DU is becoming, and seeing what that might do to the current incarnation of the mmorpg market...

Let's be honest, CCP is building a Destiny "Loot 'Em Up" game. They tried that with Dust514, it failed cause of the game's laucnh on PS3's end days before PS4.

Expect lootboxes, grind - nausiating grind at that - and P2W.

Best case, a Planetside 2 "wannabe" with more P2W (nowadays) than Planetisde 2.

CCP does not give a flying flak anymore for being innovative. They stopped caring when Valkyrie made them money at a better rate than EVE ever did.

_IF_ CCP were to decide to work aon a DU like game, their experience and presence in the market will reduce those 4-5 years to probably 2 and as they have their tools and Designs mostly set their cycle will be shorter so the'd probably shoot for a similar release..

Remember that actual DU release will be (IMO) at least 18 months away, probably more

I dunno, to me DU seems good enough if they can later provide sufficient assets for further customization of player (gear), construct and other things (misc items, furniture, etc) alike. 

I'd only consider "jumping ship" if the same grand scale can be offered with voxel-like building and notably better visuals without sacrificing in terms of scope and mechanics. Before something like that comes out I feel like more time has to pass for the tech to improve where this becomes feasible. 

Look at Star Citizen's current problems in 3.0 with memory and processing many objects in the background while looking good = problematic client performance. They might fix it at one point but still can never put 1000s of people in an instance-less game (or the same instance alternatively).

DU might just be the next big thing for a decade before it slowly gets replaced by something that can offer the same with overhauled tech and visuals, if not by the same people bringing us DU (NQ). Just saying, anything gets old or replaced at some point. But I so far don't see competition on the very same level. 

Problem is, CCP took 10 years to add a "loot all" button in EVE Online.

I bet their developement hell is amplified by how mired in terrible decision making they are as a company. World of Darkness costing them 80 millions before shutting it down. The 70 USD Monocles - that nobody asked for. DUST514 releasing in PS3 - while EVE's main playerbase is on the PC.

CCP is terrible at decisions. Project Nova has not shown any new footage for over 2 years now. This year they even shut down two of thier studios. This is just showing they are going for an F2P Loot 'Em Up like Destiny.

I personally lost any respect on them after they renamed Aurum (premium currency) into PLEX and remvoed PLEX altogether, making you buy currebncy that you don't want so they can incentivise you to spend more money on the same item than before.

In fact, EVE Online is just a fluke, an anomaly on their endless string of terrible decisions. The EVE community makes EVE great, not CPP.

Eve Online was definitely a fluke. I applaud CCP for trying to do new things, but every other project they invest into, has failed quite badly. (World of Darkness MMO, Dust 514, and Valkyrie isn't doing too well last I checked either). Their management of Eve itself in the last 5 years hasn't been the greatest either. That said, if they could release a new MMO similar to Eve/DU in the next three years, then I'd throw my support in. I do like CCP as a company, and competition is good. 

Eve has also done well as a game because it's the only game on the market that hits the check boxes that it does. It's a heavy niche game, and they milked it as best they could. But, new games on the horizon - DU included - are poised to start marking off the same check boxes that Eve does right now. They need to either adapt Eve to that, or try to create something new that can compete.

10 hours ago, blazemonger said:

_IF_ CCP were to decide to work aon a DU like game, their experience and presence in the market will reduce those 4-5 years to probably 2

I doubt it, MMOs don't get released that quickly, experience or not

10 hours ago, Warden said:

I dunno, to me DU seems good enough if they can later provide sufficient assets for further customization of player (gear), construct and other things (misc items, furniture, etc) alike. 

I'd only consider "jumping ship" if the same grand scale can be offered with voxel-like building and notably better visuals without sacrificing in terms of scope and mechanics. Before something like that comes out I feel like more time has to pass for the tech to improve where this becomes feasible. 

Look at Star Citizen's current problems in 3.0 with memory and processing many objects in the background while looking good = problematic client performance. They might fix it at one point but still can never put 1000s of people in an instance-less game (or the same instance alternatively).

DU might just be the next big thing for a decade before it slowly gets replaced by something that can offer the same with overhauled tech and visuals, if not by the same people bringing us DU (NQ). Just saying, anything gets old or replaced at some point. But I so far don't see competition on the very same level. 

Very interesting thoughts. I think marketing of graphics has been quite negative on game design innovation and the amount of investment on graphics. It does sell though, see just shy of 180m of backer money for Star Citizen. You're right SC won't EVER get high player counts and I'm doubtful they'll even be able to get fairly high multiplayer counts and may even be in danger of flunking entirely.

So for DU, I  don't expect the graphics will be as major a concern as the "game space" explosion in expansion of possibilities we might see in this game. And once that happens and if sufficient players play, then their own investment in the game creates it's own precedence. See WOW for example.

tl;dr: Graphics great for sales and immediate impact, the overall effect wears off fairly quickly in my experience. I still love well designed games from decades ago with a clever aesthetic eg Elite with it's vector graphics is wonderful along with it's UX and freedom.

As for CCP, if they ever want a new and innovative MMO design that I think will be successful and accords with their own design of EVE and develops this design in another direction, then they're welcome to contact me. :-)