1. 1. Where would your Ideal Home be?

• A Space Station
    • An Outpost
    • A City
    • An Underwater Facility
    • An Underground Facility
    • A Starship
    • Other

Where would you want to make your home in Dual Universe? Would you like to live in some secret underground hideaway, or perhaps you prefer to be nomadic and have your home on a ship flying anywhere you please, or maybe you just want to live in a city surrounded by people and businesses? Let us know in the poll!

Ah, that is quite simple, it is [redacted].

-----

In the end, likely multiple "setups", as many can have pros and cons by style or location (and intent) alone. And just "one" might not cut it in the long run here.

I'm probably in the same boat as Warden. Home base will likely change depending on what my focus is at the time. Cities and space stations with occasional trips to outposts when I need to explore or gather resources.

Also with structures being player owned, the need to keep assets in diverse locations is a must with the possibilities of shifting politics and the potential for attack.

From my EVE experience, usually people live in one place for a long time. PvPers usually live in border staging areas for quick deployment.

Sure they go around on outposts, doing mining or industry or w/e, but in the end, you live in a secured location - at least, that's where your assets are stored at.

The real question is, how ready are people on being evicted with force? Cause I see a lot of claims of "I will live in a SPACE STATION" and my EVE Online cynic goes like "yeah... that's gonna be tricky, you'll be handing people free accomodations if they were to attack you".

Just saying, it's "build small, aim big, succeed " not "dream big, build bigger, fail harder".

Probably a starship: A really big starship ; a space-station even if it were mobile...

I plan on "gathering" so movement is necessary and potentially transporting large amounts of mass (aka "stuff!") too. The thing is a really large starship should be able to hold a large number of players as well as smaller ships too for local rece... so that is an appealing flexibility also. Given how large planets are, anyone wanting to create bases there it will be interesting to see how tolerant they are of others on "their planet". Hmm images of the larger fish swimming near to the coral reef community... but the space equivalent.

I wondering how life on a large starship will be, could be like life in the Navy with a 24Hr routine for all crew to at some stage jump to it. Kinda interesting virtual experience...

3 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

From my EVE experience, usually people live in one place for a long time. PvPers usually live in border staging areas for quick deployment.

Sure they go around on outposts, doing mining or industry or w/e, but in the end, you live in a secured location - at least, that's where your assets are stored at.

The real question is, how ready are people on being evicted with force? Cause I see a lot of claims of "I will live in a SPACE STATION" and my EVE Online cynic goes like "yeah... that's gonna be tricky, you'll be handing people free accomodations if they were to attack you".

Just saying, it's "build small, aim big, succeed " not "dream big, build bigger, fail harder".

Never had much (or long-term) EvE experience, but as they like to say: Many ways lead to rome.

Here it was a bit of advanced Minecraft PVP and so on (advanced in the sense of NOT having a bunch of children build things or pink genitalia out in the wilderness, but something encompassing an economy, faction plugin, emergent gameplay, the likes) and a bit of DayZ.

While even comparable games can have vast differences on a more specific level I still think that you can obtain or get into general mindsets through other games - as long as the core ideas are roughly the same.

Minecraft (and anything comparable I suppose)

In short, I saw many build bases or outposts to last. But after a time, the ruins spoke for themselves. Abandoned, (partially) destroyed or maybe even completely razed to the ground? Who knows? The field you see with a few trees or the plains with nothing in particular at all but grass might've contained some house, village, base that was completely removed by the owners as they moved or an opposing party. Like it was never there to begin with. Ruins were even more fascinating to me, telling stories to some extend. The most fascinating thing I saw was an abandoned city. It actually was completely surrounded by a notable wall and looked like a city (of sorts, not modern design by the blocks they used but not too medieval or fantasy-like either) that was abandoned because the people left the server. Just by looking at the ruins you could immediately tell: They built this place to last or to stay, otherwise who would've poured all that effort into it with that high amount of people only to let it rot a short time after?

DayZ

Some might probably raise eyebrows as this isn't specifically your comparable sandbox game with building elements - but it contains some of the same aspects. Social interactions, emergent gameplay, focus on material possession or advancement and the risk to lose it all to others or even yourself if you do wrong things. Like in any sandbox game online anyone could come around the corner and take what you have, or try to.

I recently dipped into a private server with RP components. The experience is somewhat different to the standard public servers that also allow ghosting or teleporting behind obstacles on one server due to just going there on a different server. The private shard with RP elements is somewhat closer to sandbox experiences because factions on that server are more persistent, so I think it is a good example because all share that one shard and all stay on that one shard instead of hopping around. And there it is the same, basically, with the difference that you obviously cannot freely build things. You have to rely on what the map gives you. While the map is also limited where sandbox worlds tend to be larger on average and more dynamic, it's still fascinating to see how factions interact in that world. And from my experience and since whatever storage or base you put up can be found by others, you just have to move all the time.

I lost track of how often we or I had to move because someone suddenly found the hideout or base and stole, thus compromising the position. It was also more than once where a hostile criminal or ideological faction settled nearby, forcing us to move again. Because you can be as noble or bold as you want, if a bunch of (roleplayed) mexican criminals or communists settle nearby and you don't fit their world view, you'll think twice of staying in an area where you are heavily outnumbered and could be attacked any day. Heck, from the report I got, we occupied a police station and eventually had a mob of slave traders form up in front of it and throw threads around, just to give you all a few specific examples.

Moral of the story or recap

This basically just is intended to underline that you can plan all you want but in the end, a static location has potential cons and if you (plan to) build it, you better accept the risk that you might eventually lose it. A mobile base like a larger ship might be more preferable in some situations or as additional asset. If you lose static or stationary assets you can at least still move that around. Or you simply hope the stationary asset you build will never see war or takeovers due to location or obfuscation.

But in these games, it's to be expected that due to conflicts, wars, etc. people will lose and gain assets and you, the average player, will likely not be an exception to this. Those who want to avoid it better make the right policies, politics and find the right friends, but it can still happen. As with many things you can likely just try to lower the risk or run damage control, but not completely avoid it.

Text wall over and out.

1. I'd like to "live" in an estate build into a mountainside with hidden underground space inside. 

2. Down by the mountain foot on the plains the city would be where i do most of my stuff. 

3. On the side i'd also like to have a bar/gas-station on an asteroid outside the home planet

7 hours ago, Haunty said:

I'd like to have one of each, heh.

Surprised no one has voted space station yet.

That might be a reaction of the 'danger' of living in an EVE space station. (assuming many in here have played EVE before)

The abstract threats are universal for space stations as threats can come from any direction. On planets or larger celestial bodies, you usually have a better control or view over approach vectors.

While space stations have their uses and will be a thing many individuals or groups might need to use at one point, I imagine in voxel based games they will be a pain in the ass in terms of covering or securing them from all angles. If you don't need to operate or build one, you can have it easier. 

14 hours ago, Warden said:

The abstract threats are universal for space stations as threats can come from any direction. On planets or larger celestial bodies, you usually have a better control or view over approach vectors.

While space stations have their uses and will be a thing many individuals or groups might need to use at one point, I imagine in voxel based games they will be a pain in the ass in terms of covering or securing them from all angles. If you don't need to operate or build one, you can have it easier. 

An underground attack can happen on a planet, in space there is no big surprises

54 minutes ago, anthony said:

An underground attack can happen on a planet, in space there is no big surprises

I think it's less an issue of surprise and more about what type of defenses are needed. Underground attacks take a lot of time to set up so you wouldn't have to build defenses against those types of attacks from the beginning. Meanwhile, attacking the "bottom" of a space station is just as easy as attacking the "top" and so you have to have defenses covering a larger range of angles. In general it just takes less to defend a ground structure than a floating structure.

That being said I think space stations will be completely viable in this game because people will be willing to put in the extra effort to defend them properly. And inevitably, both planet bases and space stations will sometimes fall if enough people want it to.

A very hard question because people will stay where they want or atleast for bussiness.
I will have my central base at somewhere hard to find like a cool/lonely rock in space to store most of thing i got.
I will got a house/apartment at a City or space station for bussiness.
But i wonder how i rent a house at space station

On 12/23/2017 at 7:32 PM, Warden said:

Yea that's a good point but still some people might want it more for a home and less for item storage. Personally id want a different base for storing items, like a bunker or something.

Edited by DirectorRose
Missing content.