Drilling into planet's core

You can dig down, how far is not yet clear.

Last number i remember was "a few km"

Below that theres anyway not much of a difference gameplay wise but bragging rights.

no there really wouldn't be but bragging rights for digging a hole though a whole planet would be awesome :D. also the core of a planet normally has a ton of valuable resources (think of the earths core) and i mean valuable in the sense that its not rock and an actual material we can use ingame

Plus it might affect the gravity of the planet, depending on how they make the game.

"I doubt that would happen. Planet's won't even be movable, but if it were, implosion would be really interesting thing to watch."

It makes sense though, we run in to the same issue on Earth. It gets too hot  :)

You're right, but the game is about future. Technology in game will allow us to move faster than light, so drilling into planet shouldn't be as problematic as nowadays, in real world.

You're right, but the game is about future. Technology in game will allow us to move faster than light, so drilling into planet shouldn't be as problematic as nowadays, in real world.

I agree, but you have to consider that if planets are about 30 km across, that 2km could be the entire crust. And assuming the core is molten going below 2km would be equivalent to going into the mantle. Of course this depends on the planet..

But regardless, this is all about reducing load on the servers. So i'll be in favor of whatever is optimal for server performance

With a planet diameter of 30 km, even if we are only able to dig 2 km that's still 5000 Km^3 which is a lot..

"Perhaps, but not enough to build a fleet of Star Killer bases..."

I am still waiting to find out if its from a set point like sea level, or the point you enter and start digging.  Makes more sense to have a common start axis.

I would think sea level, starting at the top of a mountain should mean mining longer than starting in a ravine.

Yes, a core could contain lots of valuable resourcss but, for the sake of balance, your drilling machines could no longer work there, due to overheating. Thus, drilling to the core would require advanced, expensive technology.

Who said about having to use a machine - with the right level of technology "Mining Lasers" are quite a possibility - and would be far more efficient at doing it in the long run. 

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense though, we run in to the same issue on Earth. It gets too hot  :)

I think i read somewhere that the dev's plan to use the planet's core heat as a natural barrier to digging below 2km, drill any further and you'll start to melt :) Limitless drilling would be epic, but 2km is fine too.

I would love to build hidden bases 2km under ground, so long as we don't have placholders over heads that give away our location. I wonder if we can dig beneath the Arkship?