Public Event

Cronael

This public event idea can offer a lot of gameplay or strategic choice.

For example:
The arrival of IA ships in areas (random or not)
Neutral IA contructions, with events of sieges, to defend.
Or moving asteroids with valuable resources (example without AI).

This is intended to diversify:
-The harvest of resources (or others).
-Add PvE and PvP content
-An opportunist rating or specialty in this area.

If this happens:
At PvP level, I think that will regulate or limit the number of access to certain events, to limit large clans to crush small clans.
At the PvE level, this can open new long-term goals at the level of an invasion story or other battles to be fought other than PvP.

Many event ideas can be proposed or other point of view. 

I'm not referring to Destiny, the events on Destiny are too repetitive.
But innovated an alternative, which seems rare.
With such a vast world, we will not be able to go to all the events, we will not even know if we do not explore and share the information with those who reside in the alentours (for example).

I.A = A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) sorry.

Ai, npcs, pve is not part of the game loop. This may change over time, but i doubt it.

Every single pve content is too easy, repetitive and boring to me (in a mmo). At first they might be interesting and hard but with time and a lot of effort on nqs side (which will draw them away from the main selling point of the game) it will just be grinding and boring. At first ppl thought WHs interesting in eve but after a year everyone knew what to do. I soloed C5s with np, good isk but boring af.

3 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Ai, npcs, pve is not part of the game loop. This may change over time, but i doubt it.

Every single pve content is too easy, repetitive and boring to me (in a mmo). At first they might be interesting and hard but with time and a lot of effort on nqs side (which will draw them away from the main selling point of the game) it will just be grinding and boring. At first ppl thought WHs interesting in eve but after a year everyone knew what to do. I soloed C5s with np, good isk but boring af.

Totally agree with you.
For that one would have to find a different way, For example:
A civilization, a large army already on the spot, whose only goal is to slow down the bravest players who want to expand. But, considering that this is only a big "event", but after having reduced all of them to nothing, life goes on ...

I understand that an event like this one, will be able to frustrate the people arriving a long time after the beginning of the game and that they could not participate but it makes it possible to anchor a history, that only the players will be able to relate thereafter.

Like Vanilla on WoW or other example.

16 minutes ago, Cronael said:

Totally agree with you.
For that one would have to find a different way, For example:
A civilization, a large army already on the spot, whose only goal is to slow down the bravest players who want to expand. But, considering that this is only a big "event", but after having reduced all of them to nothing, life goes on ...

I understand that an event like this one, will be able to frustrate the people arriving a long time after the beginning of the game and that they could not participate but it makes it possible to anchor a history, that only the players will be able to relate thereafter.

Like Vanilla on WoW or other example.

Well that's boring too. Lots of ppl, big org, fleet, pewpew, all dead, move on

Just now, Cronael said:

Write quickly like that, yes.
But by adding goals and more, you have to see if it's a big scale, if it's interesting.
Take a survey.

Like i said, it's not the main selling point of the game and that's not what ppl want who backed Du. 

• 1 month later...

Why dont we, de new Human of the new world create those event ?
Like a big ship crash into the planetary trade center in the capital of Empire Alioth.
Like that we dont need AI, we should create event ourself.

On 03/01/2018 at 11:35 PM, ShioriStein said:

Why dont we, de new Human of the new world create those event ?
Like a big ship crash into the planetary trade center in the capital of Empire Alioth.
Like that we dont need AI, we should create event ourself.

that is what emergent game play is all about :)

PVE is not part of the game's vision, nor is Scripted Events.

It's all player driven, no evil army awaits. Players will become the evil army.

If you have a problem with "players being the evil army" but not with "bots being the evil army", then it means you either have an issue with MMOs and living with other players, or suffer from a serious case of "Themeparkatius" which renders you impossible to enjoy true Sandbox MMOs.

@ShioriStein So you are sponsoring your expensive ship for that? Cool, thank you for your generosity :)

Besides that, like in eve, events will eventuell accrue naturally, because for example in a battle above a planet, destroyed ships fall onto the planet, etc.

However I highly doubt, that those events are frequent or reach a lot of people, because why should you tell unknown people that you found a treasure?

I don't think a pve public event is something that will ever make it into DU. 

Next to the obvious reasons for not having them I think a big reason against them is persistence. 

A scripted repeating event goes against the illusion of a persistent universe. And I do think NQ tries it's best to create said illusion for us. 

It's also about quality. NQ has said a couple of times they only want to introduce AAA features. They don't want to compete with games and features that have made pve events as their selling point. Like GW2, Destiny 2 etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Takao said:

@ShioriStein So you are sponsoring your expensive ship for that? Cool, thank you for your generosity :)

What make you think it is my 'expensive ship' :).

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

that is what emergent game play is all about :)

Ah i will say the truth i hopeful to see the 'Emergent' game play, i never try it before so i will try it in DU :)

1 hour ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

PVE is not part of the game's vision, nor is Scripted Events.

It's all player driven, no evil army awaits. Players will become the evil army.

If you have a problem with "players being the evil army" but not with "bots being the evil army", then it means you either have an issue with MMOs and living with other players, or suffer from a serious case of "Themeparkatius" which renders you impossible to enjoy true Sandbox MMOs.

And if the game does not get enough people to be able to be even its event? how are they going to hold back others?
I am not pessimistic but must provide "exit doors" .. solutions in advance.

7 minutes ago, Cronael said:

And if the game does not get enough people to be able to be even its event? how are they going to hold back others?
I am not pessimistic but must provide "exit doors" .. solutions in advance.

that's why they have different mechanics at their disposal to carefully drive the game forward:

- flight mechanics: as known it may take hours to a day to reach another planet with the first engine you get, so people will stay together for the most part

- skill training time: it could take a year to finally unlock FTL (and with that better and faster engines) so you can reach other planets faster

- resources: rare resources may be needed to craft space capable ships to drive conflict over those veins

- economy: they can control the prices there via the bots to keep players near alioth

- tactical point distribution: they could focus rare resources around alioth (the planet itself, moon(s), asteroids) to drive conflict

- stargates won't be a thing for a long long long time after release: 1) to keep players in the same place. 2) so they have time to implement it properly

- possibly some PVE content later (taken from AMA, 1st part - here)

Is there really anything here for the PVE crowd? With limited mobs in game, Is PVE basically limited to mining and stockpiling for PVP battles?

We will add simple fauna at start, and we will gradually add more and more content along the line of PvE, but the more substantial activities will come from players themselves: building stuffs, participating to building stuffs by helping secure areas, explore to find minerals or artefacts/ruins (more about that later, it will be linked to the uncovering of new Safe Zones). In some future expansion, we have ideas to also add farming, and some survival aspects.

14 minutes ago, Cronael said:

Fair enough but if you can't do something really well, why do it at all? 

Purely from a design perspective its a waste on resources trying to compete on an established market if your product doesn't stand out above the competition. 

With the current features they stand above the current niche. 

7 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

Fair enough but if you can't do something really well, why do it at all? 

Purely from a design perspective its a waste on resources trying to compete on an established market if your product doesn't stand out above the competition. 

With the current features they stand above the current niche. 

I do not underestimate the game on the contrary, but must always think of some eventuality.
But yes he will find his place, I am sure

Well you will see at the begining of the game, you will feel the peace everywhere, everyone help each other to rebuild CIVILIZATION and you found it might be boring as suck.

But dont worry when people dont have a common enemy ( starve, poor, ...) and get wealth then it is the end of the stage called begining and war sure broke out, first will small conflict over rare resource deposit but it sure will get big when the resource is hard to find and people are getting greed in power and resource once they got enough man power and resource to expand their military.

And then betrayer, civil war, ... will sure to happend.

Yeah event with large wil lhappen soon but just not at the begining :) where people have to find resource day and night.

ShioriStein  Yea that's almost 100% dead on : yes everyone will be helpful in the beginning but as the resources start to run out and we need to expand and also find those rare resources greed will start to settle in and we will probably watch some of the largest organizations fight to be king of the hill / most dominant group in the galaxy !   =)   but  I think it will take some time to generate wealth and gather resource for a major war so we should be good for like a year but we will see smaller battle going on form time to time .    =)

On 29/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, Cronael said:

This public event idea can offer a lot of gameplay or strategic choice.

For example:
The arrival of IA ships in areas (random or not)
Neutral IA contructions, with events of sieges, to defend.
Or moving asteroids with valuable resources (example without AI).

This is intended to diversify:
-The harvest of resources (or others).
-Add PvE and PvP content
-An opportunist rating or specialty in this area.

If this happens:
At PvP level, I think that will regulate or limit the number of access to certain events, to limit large clans to crush small clans.
At the PvE level, this can open new long-term goals at the level of an invasion story or other battles to be fought other than PvP.

Many event ideas can be proposed or other point of view. 

To add my own view, a lot of issues with ideas come from at least 2 major sources:-

1/ Number One: Defining the Scope and overall Game Vision FOR development itself (resource balance to success).

2/ The language of communication itself: Lack of rigour leads to lack of understanding and misunderstanding exchange.

Let's use egs:-

1/ DU = "Civilization Sandbox Building MMO" + "Virtual World Simulation"

The first bit is permissible due to the voxel objects the world is made of.

The second bit is the player scope for behaviour themselves.

Hence already looking at the second bit, AI and ideas of traditional PvE are moribund... AND outside the scope itself (Cost of PvE Content to longevity is aweful). Additionally the problem is not defining all the scope of human interaction ALREADY possible within the virtual simulation which I expect to be very wide already without need for "so-called extra diversity balancing of types of content" that is the inherent assumption in the OP. Which I'll assume, fairly safely from past mmoRPGs, again is less dynamic and longevity and diverse in any case.

2/ Let's now look at the language of communication of PvP and PvE. This is part of the problem as well as if this is the point to begin from.

Both are apparently a subset of Combat interaction. Let's check: With voxels and lua we can build and script the environment/world and constructs. With mining again voxels we merge towards pure sandbox with simulation via the economy... All without any pvp or pve !!!!

The language of pvp and pve is broken itself, limiting the exchange of ideas too.

I guess PvE should be more clear: "A request for combat against AI objects". See scope. Combat should be destructive against player created Constructs and other player avatars themselves: Part of the Virtual World cycle itself as per the Game Vision: builders-pvp-players.png?w=630 itself.

after all PvE is boring as suck, it just like some kind of grinding again. Solo ppl usually choose PvE because of course they are solo, not some kind of solo in anime where you can vs entire country. In DU they are just money bag can move for the pirate. Of course not all Solo is bad but it is rarely. Yeah we should force them social and work in Org :)

I wouldn't call PvE boring all the time. It's not boring when you have a challenge. Because programming an AI that makes fighting it a challenge is really difficult, most of the time that challenge comes from the numbers of enemies or their healthbar -.-

I don't think that DU can be successfull without any PvE, because where do you wan't to get all the recources for your ships that get destroyed because of PvP? Mining? That would be a grind.