Fast inter-structure transport

Cronael

The idea is on the same logic as rails, but high-speed use.

-Exp: A ship in a linear tube with two directions for connecting two points.

This can be connected to a lua panel, stop control or other type of organization in the structure.

A levitation system, or elements allowing to reproduce a similarity with the rails in more futuristic.

What do you think about that?

18 minutes ago, Sir_Rat said:

Some type of inter-structure travel will definitely be essential in huge constructs; I don't even see how one could argue with that. Though I could even see use in medium-large sized ships.

I agree with you, but if we start integrating this, people will ask more and more, and that will destroy the RP.

12 hours ago, Lethys said:

Well, just design your ships in a way that the crew can move faster through the ship. Ofc those paths have to be defendable too in Case of attack.

I agree.  Mobility will be an important part of design for large ships.

If there were to be teleport pads they should not go far, maybe 10 meters or so, just to be able to go up and down decks.  Perhaps they should consume power each time as to not be OP.

I wonder if a hovercraft could work aboard a large ship or station.

Highrises and underground bases need elevators. Mine shafts, too, if it's intended to dig into considerable depth for rare materials. And if there's elevators, the code's probably going to be reusable for movements at arbitrary angles, i.e. subways on a straight path.

I like the idea of a tram running the length of large ships or stations; grounded or in space.  I know someone said something about rail systems in the forum elsewhere, so I feel like this would work nicely in this situation.  It'd also give you as a designer and opportunity to add some extra flair to your ship or station.  You could have a tram car that's really gritty and industrial looking if you are making it for a dedicated mining or manufacturing station, maybe you have a sleek, high-tech car for a really cutting edge research base/medical facility, or maybe even a fancy, ornate car with polished wood paneling and brass hardware, to really wow visitors to your economic mecca.

You know what? Playing train simulator doesnt sound all that bad.

One could easily understand why people would want to have some sort of tram system or the like between outposts on the same planet - as everybody in an organization using aircraft as their main transportation to every single location sounds like quite the logistical problem, indeed.