IDEA: BP/hologram tier

Ace_Helix

I was thinking, it would be really cool to have a tier of building that only provides the illusion of voxels free of cost. Some of us are very talented in designing the blueprints for impressive designs but aren't inclined to the grind for materials to actually build said ships. 

So i was thinking, what if we had a hologram tier of voxels that we could use to design a ship without worrying about the cost of construction? Perhaps when it is done you could chose to upgrade those voxels after the BP is complete? Maybe even sell someone the BP for the cost of building you one.

The obvious con to this, would be voxel spamming all over the place (since its free), so double props if you could make it only visible to those with building permissions, or maybe only while in build mode?

Thoughts anyone?

I'm sure I read about a virtual world in-game, where you could design for free. 
Means you could do the design, and get the BP ready to sell, but never actually need the mats. Downside is that unless the in-game sim is MP, you'll have to build at least one to show prospective buyers.

This topic was already discussed to death in various threads and I won't repeat my points here why I think it's a bad idea to implement such a thing when it's not really really carefully balanced.

Mind NQs answer in some thread:

I marked the relevant section - you're not going to build a bigger ship alone, you need a team to do so

Hi there, 

It's true that:

- Massive Constructs "battlestar cruiser" size or "death star" will require incredible amount of resources and may not (or hardly) be possible to build alone.

- We don't plan to let players import design from 3D tools like 3DS Max, Blender or Zbrush.

However:

- It's also true that trial & errors will have a massive cost in resources if designing/prototyping a very large of spaceship must be done in the "real" in-game universe.

- It's also true that it would force all large ship designers to get huge amount of resources just for designing, not even for building. The ideal situation would be that the designer role shouldn't be tied to gather huge amounts of resources (this should be left to the production role).

In conclusion:

Yes, having a creative mode inside the game, just for designing purpose (without giving any free resources in the "real" in-game universe) is something we are considering.

However, this is a huge feature to develop, and while we would like to add it to the game, there is a high chance it won't be implemented before the official game release. If it's implemented at some point, it will be probably after, in an expansion.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I have thought about this too but with a different twist.

My idea was to have a voxel alloy that is litteraly dirt cheap and has negative parameters all around,to be used solely for design purposes.

When the construct is complete,they can be upgraded into the material of your choice.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:03 AM, Lethys said:

This topic was already discussed to death in various threads and I won't repeat my points here why I think it's a bad idea to implement such a thing when it's not really really carefully balanced.

Mind NQs answer in some thread:

I marked the relevant section - you're not going to build a bigger ship alone, you need a team to do so

I would like to see something for prototyping existing.  Lethys, you seem to have taken the quote from NQ out of context.  They were describing the pros and cons of not having a prototyping system and you seemingly pointed to one of these as somehow proof that they want people to have to waste resources to build large ships.  The conclusion in that quote literally tells us that they believe a prototyping system is a positive thing, but that it won’t likely be in the game until after release.  

1 hour ago, Felonu said:

I would like to see something for prototyping existing.  Lethys, you seem to have taken the quote from NQ out of context.  They were describing the pros and cons of not having a prototyping system and you seemingly pointed to one of these as somehow proof that they want people to have to waste resources to build large ships.  The conclusion in that quote literally tells us that they believe a prototyping system is a positive thing, but that it won’t likely be in the game until after release.  

We disagree then, cause I read there that they want teamwork and no singleplayer design tool. If so, it has to be carefully balanced - which I literally said too.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a blueprint/hologram system for building constructs per blueprint recipe is only sensible. However, I'd take it only as a positive aspect of the game if designing an advanced ship would be a organization effort and pooling of organization resources. There's your end-game, gentlemen.

On 2017-11-23 at 8:15 PM, Lethys said:

We disagree then, cause I read there that they want teamwork and no singleplayer design tool. If so, it has to be carefully balanced - which I literally said too.

I take it as "open for discussion". True Dev Neutral.