blocks

catalina

Do you mean in terms of block shapes?

if yes then i agree with you, i also often ran into situations where i couldnt build what i want in the possibilities games gave me.

yes, I like the number of blocks in the other game (Empyrion all the way) but there are situations were I can't make something fit right. I want a more well rounded selection

yes, I like the number of blocks in the other game (Empyrion all the way) but there are situations were I can't make something fit right. I want a more well rounded selection

From what we can see Dual is not a block building game but more of a voxle sculpting game. There are still blocks and stuff you can place but it seems more that these are just the tools you use to get the shapes you want into the game instead of the only things you can build/place.

From what we can see Dual is not a block building game but more of a voxle sculpting game. There are still blocks and stuff you can place but it seems more that these are just the tools you use to get the shapes you want into the game instead of the only things you can build/place.

cool,  that means we can make even more awesome ships

The voxel building is very similar to Everquest Landmark.

If you want to play something right now that is going to be close to DU, Landmark is as good of a place as any to jump into. 

I'm not saying it will be exactly the same as Landmark, but the tools showcased both in the devblog and the gameplay video are very similar. Having experience using the tools in Landmark will surely benefit you going into Dual Universe, even if they aren't exactly the same. 

From what we can see Dual is not a block building game but more of a voxel sculpting game. There are still blocks and stuff you can place but it seems more that these are just the tools you use to get the shapes you want into the game instead of the only things you can build/place.

I understood that too.

If you look the gameplay video between 1:49 and 2:49, you will see some of that.

At 3:30 you can see JCB editing a small ship with a voxel tool.

Hi I was wondering if the building system will have more types of blocks form the current space voxcle games on the market now?  I find that I am always coming across situation that a few more block types are needed

I sincerely hope so; I know that I regularly find myself having to DL mods in some of those other games just to be able to get the look, feel, and utility I desire from my constructs.

Hi I was wondering if the building system will have more types of blocks form the current space voxcle games on the market now?  I find that I am always coming across situation that a few more block types are needed

This post has some good info about the building tools too.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/14-voxel-tools-pre-alpha-game-design/page-1

and the Devblog here https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/#more-531

Basically each block has the potential to take on a huge number of different shapes by moving each corner into different positions.  But every block is connected so moving one corner affects every adjacent corner.  In Dual Universe they call that "Dual Contouring".

So most of the building isn't intended to be done one block at a time, instead you use Shape Tools to create larger shapes out of many blocks.  Building one block at a time will probably be possible but we don't exactly know how that will work.

Like Yamamushi said Landmark is a great place to see a similar building system, there are tons of videos of people building/playing it on youtube.  In Landmark they didn't really intend for people to build one block at a time and you only really have access to a few very basic shapes at that scale.  But because so many more shapes are possible players have found ways to access millions of other shapes using unintended results of building tools like the "Smooth Tool".  Which we are supposed to have in Dual.  

NovaQuark hasn't exactly said how much of that type of building they want to support.  They haven't said they are against it either though.  What i am hoping is that it will be possible but in a way that is much more accessible then it is in Landmark.

The pic in my signature is a house i built in Landmark by the way  :D.

This is what has me so excited about the building in this game, we aren't limited to a specific range of shapes, because we will have voxel tools that allow us to stretch and smooth out surfaces creating virtually any shape we want. :D

The pic in my signature is a house i built in Landmark by the way  :D.

Awesome, I guess I should probably try Landmark sometime. That house reminds me of Oblivion.

• 3 years later...
On 8/17/2016 at 10:42 AM, ShadowLordAlpha said:

Im sorry but I have to say something about this (I know Im late on this but it bugged me). Dual Universe has blocks, in forms of the Cockpit, fuel tanks, and charge tanks, thrusters, weapons, etc., which you cannot change the dimensions of these blocks. Though voxle sculpting is the main focus, it also has building blocks.