Will there be a tool for coloring materials/voxels?

Bralor

Hi everyone,

as I understand it, Dual Universe will have materials with different properties and 'quality levels' (if I misunderstood you can correct me). This means for me that there will be better and worse materials and that, in my opinion, will cause every player to try to get the best materials. Is so far logical and comprehensible. But if everyone tries to get the same materials, understandably to get the most out of his ship, etc., the constructs will hardly differ in color, because logically every material, as far as I've seen, has its own texture. I would not think that's nice if the constructs are barely different in color, and it would be pretty easy to see which material any player uses, and so other players / groups of players could easily relate to the properties and quality of the materials used.

So I wanted to ask if it would be possible to dye materials/voxels in the game?

you can select things both for copy pasting and for changing the material, but there will be limits on how much you can select and you will need to have enough materials. we are also starting to get info on what each materials has weight wise. so you will be able to make your ship out of something basic, then upgrade to something lighter for speed or possibly something heavier, altho it is unclear if denser materials will reduce damage. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's not currently possible to "paint" voxels a different colour.

There is a tool that will allow you to change the material type of any voxel in a construct, which is shown in the tutorial video. But using that "feature" means that if I want a yellow spaceship, I have to replace all the alumin voxels with "yellow plastic" voxels. My spaceship will now be yellow, but it will also be made out of plastic, not out of metal....

So, yes, as things currently stand in DU, all constructs made out of the same material will be the same colour.

I certainly hope there will be a way to "paint" the exterior of my construct, even if it's only limited to the outward-facing surfaces of the voxels...

I guess for now you would have to multi layer a ship to get the colors you want and maybe make the core of the ships skin out of the materials you need for toughness but I am sure they will fix this problem by or after the final launch of DU .