Cargo, Crates, Small inventory.

gyurka66

We want cargo freighters to be in game right? If the things stay as they are now they won't be a thing as players have huge inventories and they can store materials there, why would they need cargo space?

Well, of course i'm not saying that inventory space should be realistic in size but i think the player shouldn't be able to carry more than around 300-400 m3. The excess should be stored in crates that would still compress the material and things.

Crates should be only moved one by one or two by two.

Yes i know it sounds stupid and boring but i know a few people that like taking things from A to B in games.

As i said earlier there wouldn't be any need for starship size if there wouldn't be a need for cargo.

It would be a minor annoyance to builders of course but i don't think it would make it unplayably hard.

So you are saying that we have limited cargo space? I think the advantages of having large storage is good. If you have a cargo ship, then mostly likely it will be either really slow, or have no defense.  The point of this game is to encourage playing together, not to play as a loner. 

17 minutes ago, gyurka66 said:

We want cargo freighters to be in game right? If the things stay as they are now they won't be a thing as players have huge inventories and they can store materials there, why would they need cargo space?

Well, of course i'm not saying that inventory space should be realistic in size but i think the player shouldn't be able to carry more than around 300-400 m3. The excess should be stored in crates that would still compress the material and things.

Crates should be only moved one by one or two by two.

Yes i know it sounds stupid and boring but i know a few people that like taking things from A to B in games.

As i said earlier there wouldn't be any need for starship size if there wouldn't be a need for cargo.

It would be a minor annoyance to builders of course but i don't think it would make it unplayably hard.

I doubt that NQ doesn't change the system as we've seen from the dev diaries (remember it's pre alpha and they only store huge amounts there to test things). 

Lore wise it doesn't make sense that the calabi yau manifold can store thousands of cubic meters, and it wouldn't make much sense gameplay wise either.

So yeah I think they change that to hopefully an interesting system that involves

Cargo containers

Lifters

Tradeships

Freighters

Companies which specialize in hauling

Convoys

Spaceports which have a suitable docking space

What I'm wondering is if they're going to make crates static elements to cargoships a la space engineers, or if we're going to get some sort of moveable crates (this could be done by making a very small hovercraft consisting of only a few crates too though). Though I guess what my main "concern" is if there is going to be a more streamlined method of transfering items from one crate to another.

I certainly hope that if I'm carrying several hundred tons of resources that they 1) take up a (semi)realistic amount of space and 2) impact the calculations for anything that involves mass.  I don't want (demi) hammer space to just let people spirit around large quantities in a limited space, or there'd be no point to building large cargo haulers, jump-jet transport couriers or anything of the like.  I understand the concept of "condensing" materials, but I don't think it should be unreasonably effective to the point where it invalidates the concept and aesthetics of cargo, storage and transport.