3D Preview Suite - Download - ( Ship Designs, Constructions and Stuff )

Occultist

update1.1-banner.jpg

Welcome to the 3D Preview Suite.

This is a only a short introduction for you guys - have fun!

What is this "3D Preview Suite" ?

We developed this suite to simulate different ship designs - you can look at the ship from outside but can also go inside and inspect every corner of the craft!

Why we are doing this?

We only do this for one reason : we want to help the community. Our suite hopefully inspires them to grand designs and give them an idea how to design their next ship.

The software we use :
We utilize the magnificent, though old and rusty, power of "Blender Game Engine" which's totally sufficient for this program.

For the community, from the community
We will keep this thread up to date. As soon as there is a new update - you will know first if you follow this thread!

3D Preview Suite : Version 1.1 

--->DOWNLOAD IT HERE <---

HOMEPAGE
HAVE FUN!
-Chugy-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libelle.jpgA-Klasse-Transporter.jpgB-Klasse-Transporter.jpg

Hello guys. i have link a direct download link from our webspace.
I do this because our homepage is under maintanance and by this way you can download it yet.

EDIT : 
If you have any wishes for ships or some stuff, let me know it.....and we will do it into the suite.

Hey guys....this is the beginning of my video blog of our preview suite. 
I will work on it every day until the update is ready for you to download. And for this i make a video every day. This blog will only published on this forum thread, because the community portal is the wrong place for such much input.

And here is the first one. If you like it or if you have some ideas for this....you can write it here.

22 minutes ago, Costanius said:

You can also use Space Engineers and Empyrion Galactic Survival to design and build ships. Those to two games are probably close to how ships are built in DU.

Yeah i know, but this is not my goal. My goal is to create a accessible environment for everyone. : ) 

30 minutes ago, Lethys said:

good work - the preview suite was already awesome and I'm looking forward to an update

thx Lethys, if the next update is downloadable for all, i will make a real video with voice and walktrouth. : )

On 18.12.2017 at 2:24 PM, Costanius said:

You can also use Space Engineers and Empyrion Galactic Survival to design and build ships. Those to two games are probably close to how ships are built in DU.

Luckely they are not, because DU has a voxel system for building and those games (at least SE) doesn't.

With the voxels you can do ALOT more then with blocks, especially when building slopes.

@Federal Initiator

I have watched your first video and a little bit from the second and from that it looks like you are not that familiar with 3D modelling with a direct modeller, like Blender?

1. Never, ever, ever use n-gons in any situation (faces with more than 4 verticies). They will completly screw up your renders and many modifiers. Use quads (4 verticies) wherever possible and tries (3 verticies) where needed.
  2. Your approach of preemtively subdividing a cube is not a good practise when you are not sculpting. It will create unnececcary faces and therefor reduces performance and increases render time. Use edge loops instead to create just enough extra faces. It should also be faster.
  3. A very good Blender addon is Destructive Extrude with which you can create extrusions more intuitive and much faster.
  4. The music is WAY to load. Get yourself Audacity and use the "normalize" ("Normalisieren") filter for your audio track. This will bring down the audio level to a decent, usable loudness. There is also an addon for Audacity for extracting audio tracks from videos, just in case. If you have the music files as mp3 I can recommend "MP3 Gain", which is a programm to alter the loudness of mp3 files and bring them to the same level.

However overall the project looks like a good idea. I have designed my ship in Blender first, too and then build it in game afterwards.

image.thumb.png.ddd0028af7484c93c26dd7a514999cfb.png

And yes I took screenshots of some ingame elements and roughly rebuild them in blender so that I can scale the whole thing acordingly.

No I sadly can't give you the numbers, because NDA.

Hey Takao,

no i am absolutly not a modeller pro. This is a little hobby and jeah i wanna get more experience and skill with blender.^^ So this project helps me a lot to improve my model skills.

18 minutes ago, Takao said:

Never, ever, ever use n-gons in any situation (faces with more than 4 verticies). They will completly screw up your renders and many modifiers. Use quads (4 verticies) wherever possible and tries (3 verticies) where needed.

I will take the tip with the N-GONS, so very big thx to you. I dont knows that. :)

19 minutes ago, Takao said:

Your approach of preemtively subdividing a cube is not a good practise when you are not sculpting. It will create unnececcary faces and therefor reduces performance and increases render time. Use edge loops instead to create just enough extra faces. It should also be faster.

This tip i will take it too.^^ I looked instantly for some videos for this....and jeah. Now i know, how i can better use it.

19 minutes ago, Takao said:

The music is WAY to load. Get yourself Audacity and use the "normalize" ("Normalisieren") filter for your audio track. This will bring down the audio level to a decent, usable loudness. There is also an addon for Audacity for extracting audio tracks from videos, just in case. If you have the music files as mp3 I can recommend "MP3 Gain", which is a programm to alter the loudness of mp3 files and bring them to the same level.

Jeah i know, the think is....these music file was a randomly soundfile. In the next update i will remove it from the project.

26 minutes ago, Takao said:

However overall the project looks like a good idea. I have designed my ship in Blender first, too and then build it in game afterwards.

Thank you. Its a nice ship designe idea i thing. :) ANd jeah this with the NDA i know....but it is okay.

Good stuff. :)

I design in Blender myself, when I have time. It's nice to see this project come to life. 

Do you mind if I link to your website on my website, Oz? 

It's a bit of a shame that its all in German though. Nothing against German but not everyone knows herunterladen means download. :D

2 hours ago, Falstaf said:

Good stuff. :)

I design in Blender myself, when I have time. It's nice to see this project come to life. 

Do you mind if I link to your website on my website, Oz? 

It's a bit of a shame that its all in German though. Nothing against German but not everyone knows herunterladen means download. :D

Hi Falstaf ! Nice to see, that you like our project. :)
It is absolutly ok, if you want to link our page or 3D Suite to your page. :)

And jeah.....we are a only german speaking group. So our homepage and other stuff is in german. BUT....if the time comes....and with time i mean my english skillz, than i will make a english translation part of our homepage.

For our project ive create this section in the forum for all guys in the community. Thats why the post is only in english and our homepage in german because its a global community project. :) i hope you understand that.^^ hehe Can you give me a link to your site ? :) im interested! 

I can understand that completely, don't worry about it.

Sure I can link you to my site. :D

Outpost Zebra

It's a community driven blog/service. 

In my sidebar I try to collect useful community links, I'm ready to make a second pass and your project seems like a great addition to the collection. 

52 minutes ago, Federal Initiator said:

aaaahhhh oh. :) this is YOUR site. I like the homepage very much.^^ its a very nice idea !
So what do you like ? A single Link or a banner ? : )

I will link you site too. Because i like it....^^ A big thx to you. :)

Don't mention, anything to help each other out. And I am behind Oz but it's really a community effort I can't take credit for everything. Sponsored by my org, Heimera Trade X change. 

I will most likely link to your download page and try to make the description clear. 

Something like, ship designer software. Unless your tool has a specific name then I'll use that. :P

17 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

Don't mention, anything to help each other out. And I am behind Oz but it's really a community effort I can't take credit for everything. Sponsored by my org, Heimera Trade X change. 

I will most likely link to your download page and try to make the description clear. 

Something like, ship designer software. Unless your tool has a specific name then I'll use that. :P

jeah i know what you mean.^^

a clearly description is a good idea.  but not so easy to say.....hm...
This is a preview for a example base station and ship designs....a kind of environment with example content.....jeah.
We named it 3D Preview Suite if it the right description....i dont know.  hehe So we can change the name, if we have a better name.

Im a little bit in fear, because i dont know.....if the Novaquark team dont like such names like "dual universe example desings" ???? I absolutly dont know....but i think we can named it better.