Linked stargates

Hisshadow

Should have elements that would allow the construction of different sized stargates... say we build a circle the size needed then attach an element making it a statgate. The gate would have a matching gate elsewhere and be a direct link between the two. This is a one destination device it only transports you to the opposite gate.

That's a thing that can happen indeed, to establish a Stargate network, by adding a certain module on all YOUR controlled Stargates that enables them to act as jump bridges, mostly for ease of use rather than going faster.

I'm a firm believer that someone in the NQ's thinktank is a fan of The Lost Fleet book series, since stargates do seem to function like how Hypernet Gates function in the books and the Hypernet idea does sound like a gameplay balance as well, as Hypernets take more time the shorter the distance travelled, but take less time the longer the distance travelled, thus making the Gates into a tactical repositioning tool, rather than the "go-to" means of FTL.

Should have elements that would allow the construction of different sized stargates... say we build a circle the size needed then attach an element making it a statgate. The gate would have a matching gate elsewhere and be a direct link between the two. This is a one destination device it only transports you to the opposite gate.

I agree that stargates should operate as one-destination devices, so that if you build one somewhere, you need to build another one to go further. 

Similar to how the stargate network in Eve Online works, in that a single stargate only has a single destination available to it. 

I think that allowing stargates to send you to any other stargate would create dead areas that nobody ever visits because they are bypassing them in one step to go wherever they want. 

Having stargates locked to one destination will guarantee that the game world continues to feel massive, and would continue to support the theme of "if players are somewhere, it's because they made the effort to go all the way there".

I believe it was said stargates can "dial" any other stargate in range.

This is the best solution from my point of view.

• You still feel the massive scale of the universe since you have to make multiple "jump" in order to reach the end of the explored universe.
  • No need for 12 stargate in the same place to have access to all the in-range connected systems around.
  • The fuel cost to travel via stargate was not revealed yet. You may want to minimize the number of time you have to use a gate.

Actually it has been said, that the want to make it hard to travel long distances. Especialy in regard of trading. 

Building Gates would make that pretty easy.
There would need to be a big downside in using Gates, like realy high costs in energy( maybe for the gate, or maybe for the ship using the gate, i'm not sure what is better by now)

<p>

I believe it was said stargates can "dial" any other stargate in range.

This is the best solution from my point of view.

• You still feel the massive scale of the universe since you have to make multiple "jump" in order to reach the end of the explored universe.
  • No need for 12 stargate in the same place to have access to all the in-range connected systems around.
  • The fuel cost to travel via stargate was not revealed yet. You may want to minimize the number of time you have to use a gate.

gates dont need to be hard-linked to provide limitations to travel, but dont need to be instant dial-anything to avoid a billion-and-three jumpgates in every system.

Have them take time to connect and disconnect stargate connections.

Important and high throughput connections will rarely or never shut down.

While the odd out of the way system would be dialed in on request or on a schedule from a secondary gate.

what if your ship had a jump drive to travel long distinctness but only to places you have been to and it would take time to charge for anther jump  

"We don't have plans for jump drives inside ships (vs Stargates that are independant structures made to help other ships to jump). FTL will be possible via warp drives but they will basically be about travelling at very high speed, a few multipliers above the speed of light (no offence, physicists, this is SciFi!). The reason is that we have this mechanism of probes that must be launched to be able to deploy stargates.

If we were to allow jump drives, or insanely high speed, they would be used to bypass this constraint and deploy stargates much more rapidly. We believe it will give a better overall gameplay if new parts of the universe are discovered with relative efforts, creating a feeling of achievement and conquest that would simply not be there if it's too easy to just "jump there". It will allow to see the known world grow as the community is expanding, constantly opening new territories to explore and conquer."

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/?p=14787

Stargates will be able to connect to any other gate within its distance limit.  I like this idea.  Like Eve you can have campers that just sit there and blow people up.  This way there is a work around so you get people roaming and playing instead of sitting in one spot and going pew pew pew.

There may be bottlenecks at times and only one other gate in an area but the possibility to work around that is an option I like.

If the game gets big and there ends up being 20 plus gate jumps even if other game content is good that can kill my mood daily until I quit.

It doesn't feel immersive or massive jumping gate to gate to gate endlessly. It's just tedious repetition and poor design intended to lengthen travel time.

If it's eve like I may as well go get my Lincoln logs and Legos out instead of crying while I watch and don't play.

Surly there's better ways, it seems like they're searching for them.

If the game gets big and there ends up being 20 plus gate jumps even if other game content is good that can kill my mood daily until I quit.

It doesn't feel immersive or massive jumping gate to gate to gate endlessly. It's just tedious repetition and poor design intended to lengthen travel time.

If it's eve like I may as well go get my Lincoln logs and Legos out instead of crying while I watch and don't play.

and no travel time to anywhere makes the economy homogenous and boring and removes large parts of strategic gaming for larger alliances.

because when everything is (very) close theres no strategising in war nor localised, diversified markets that make any interesting trade gameplay.

and no travel time to anywhere makes the economy homogenous and boring and removes large parts of strategic gaming for larger alliances.

because when everything is (very) close theres no strategising in war nor localised, diversified markets that make any interesting trade gameplay.

I don't think having a gate connecting to all other gates in range, makes a no travel time limitation.  you will still get 2+ jumps to far away systems, that you would have to consider in your plans.  Also if its gate to gate, what stops us from building 1000+ gates in the start sector that connect to 1000+ systems, and then they are all still just a 2 jump system away from each other.

I think the game would have to get very big indeed for that to be a problem. But if it does, would you personally have a reason to go from one end of inhabited space to the other on a daily basis? Remember this won't be empty systems like in Eve Online, there will be hundreds or thousands of players in living in each system, probably no less than a few dozen in frontier systems. An empty system wouldn't have a stargate.

Only space truckers will have a reason to chain gate jumps every single day.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of Stargates.

What would a fully established network of stargates mean for a new player? Being able to jump to anywhere players have reached so far, some may like it but others might not as it may take away from the intended exploration side of the game.

Presumably then, an Organization would control the access to the gate system in which case they would have to have been constructed? In which case all of the gates will need an Arkification token? or they maybe be attackable by opposing orgs/ pirates or gate hijackers redirecting you to dangerous places.  This would be a hard network to maintain once you get further and further.  Hmm, tbh this could be fun...

On the multiple jump boredom issue, you could potentially just have the tech to dial in the nearest gate to your destination A la Stargate Sg-1? That may remove some of the sense of scale though.  Hmm

How about asome sort of gate generator tech for your ship to open rip between you and your target for an instant jump.  Then allow us to 'hide' marker tech on any planet/moon/asteroid and edit the arrival point within X distance of the marker.  Then you could have an industry churning out these high tech drives, bigger ships-bigger drives. It wouldnt be open to everyone and it isn't impossible for anyone.  Orgs could have their own databases of jump points, share some hide others etc.