Types of Colonization ships

GunDeva

My friend and I where thinking when Dual Universe go's live maybe we would go to  the other planets in the solar system as soon as we could even if its a long slow ride and also take a few friends .  =)   So the first thing we thought was at that early stages in the game we would probably have to convert a cargo style ship and  carrier people and equipment to a new planet and set up a base of operations and later expand that base /out post into a city . 

Once our technology and skill get to a certain point my friend said he would try to just build a large colony ship that would have everything on it and the ship would just land on a planet and become a base / out post and I thought wow that's was a great idea!

I remembered something about 3d printing homes and I told  him wouldn't it be cool if we could build a ship large enough to 3d print bases and he laughed and said yea but I don't know if that will be possible but we could always give it a try. So I was playing around  on some sketches  wondering how a large ship with 3d base building might look ? I was listening to music and looking at YouTube : sigh dam some one beat me to it ! I guess I can still work on my version ? 

Overcomplicated at best, and designed to generate $$ for CIG. Last I checked these (will) sell for around $750 in actual US$.

I like the Space Engineers mechanic much better the way DU seems to build is even more simplified as you do not need to actually build elements, they are just there/can be bought, at least at this time there really is no information on whether we'd need to build the elements from resources (like in Space Engineers) or they are bought ready made.

56 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Overcomplicated at best, and designed to generate $$ for CIG. Last I checked these (will) sell for around $750 in actual US$.

I like the Space Engineers mechanic much better the way DU seems to build is even more simplified as you do not need to actually build elements, they are just there/can be bought, at least at this time there really is no information on whether we'd need to build the elements from resources (like in Space Engineers) or they are bought ready made.

If you read

and listen to interviews: NQ clearly goes for a complicated route here. It wouldn't make ANY sense to go for a player run market and then sell elements there via bot sell orders.

In the videos there is ofc an unlimited amount of elements in the inventory - to test things. But they will definitely go for a full blown player run production cycle

Maybe, maybe not. While I would hope and expect as much, at this point we simply do not know how this will work

From one of your last link:

Voxel Elements (or Voxel-based Elements):

Put simply, a Voxel Element is a complex, predefined voxel-based shape constituted of one (or more) material(s). A spiral staircase is a good example of a Voxel Element. Voxel Elements will be gathered in a library. We plan to include more and more complex shapes in this library. The feedback from the community will be essential to know which complex shapes will be the most useful to builders. In the long term, builders will also have the ability to create Voxel Elements themselves, and to save them to their Voxel Element Library. They will also be able to modify the materials used by the Voxel Elements, so if you want a metal stair with a wooden handrail, or vice versa, you will have to simply update the materials attached to the Voxel Element.

Mesh-based Elements (or ?Elements?):

As well as Voxel Tools and Voxel Elements there are also predefined game Elements like Cockpits, Engines, Boosters, etc? They bring functionalities to your Construct, and can be attached to your voxel-based creations, setting up their anchor point and orientation. Some Elements will be required to build certain things. A basic flying craft will require a Core Unit, a Control Unit, a Gyroscope, and a few propulsors (adjustors to orient, rockets to fly), but the voxel-made chassis, hull and design of the craft is entirely left to the builder.

-- -- --

The first clearly mentions it is constructed from materials that can be changed to alter the appearance of the element. The latter does not and frankly tells me these are predefined and can't be altered nor do they require you to have specific materials available. It would appear these are also not voxels which further (IMO) confirm they are not constructed by the player from resources. Now all of this is guessing since, as I mentioned earlier, we simply do not know yet.

To get back to the OP, I'll probably carry either resources or elements with me in storage/dispensers while going on (exploration) roams to be able to build out a simple/basic base when needed. This is pretty much the same mechanic as used in Space Engineers and works quite well, especially combined with automated builder tools.

20 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Maybe, maybe not. While I would hope and expect as much, at this point we simply do not know how this will work

From one of your last link:

Voxel Elements (or Voxel-based Elements):

Put simply, a Voxel Element is a complex, predefined voxel-based shape constituted of one (or more) material(s). A spiral staircase is a good example of a Voxel Element. Voxel Elements will be gathered in a library. We plan to include more and more complex shapes in this library. The feedback from the community will be essential to know which complex shapes will be the most useful to builders. In the long term, builders will also have the ability to create Voxel Elements themselves, and to save them to their Voxel Element Library. They will also be able to modify the materials used by the Voxel Elements, so if you want a metal stair with a wooden handrail, or vice versa, you will have to simply update the materials attached to the Voxel Element.

Mesh-based Elements (or ?Elements?):

As well as Voxel Tools and Voxel Elements there are also predefined game Elements like Cockpits, Engines, Boosters, etc? They bring functionalities to your Construct, and can be attached to your voxel-based creations, setting up their anchor point and orientation. Some Elements will be required to build certain things. A basic flying craft will require a Core Unit, a Control Unit, a Gyroscope, and a few propulsors (adjustors to orient, rockets to fly), but the voxel-made chassis, hull and design of the craft is entirely left to the builder.

-- -- --

The first clearly mentions it is constructed from materials that can be changed to alter the appearance of the element. The latter does not and frankly tells me these are predefined and can't be altered nor do they require you to have specific materials available. It would appear these are also not voxels which further (IMO) confirm they are not constructed by the player from resources. Now all of this is guessing since, as I mentioned earlier, we simply do not know yet.

To get back to the OP, I'll probably carry either resources or elements with me in storage/dispensers while going on (exploration) roams to be able to build out a simple/basic base when needed. This is pretty much the same mechanic as used in Space Engineers and works quite well, especially combined with automated builder tools.

well, again: if you just look at the bigger picture here you can easily see that they don't go for easy - there is NO MAYBE - It's a GIVEN

5) Having this craft system simplified to on-board refinery/distillery/factory system, seems to be oversimplification and we loosing some immersion here. Are you guys planing such thing? 

Again, as clearly mentioned in the Dev Diary, this is "work in progress", a temporary setting to show that basic crafting game mechanics have been implemented, but we are far from the final version. These are just the first steps of the complete implementation. There will be different crafting action types (refining, making alloy, making mechanical or electronic parts, assembling parts to create items, etc) and for each action type, you will probably have to create and use a specific Element such as:
- Foundry Unit for making alloys

- Assembly Unit to create items 

- Factory Unit to create contructs

Of course, at the beginning, the Nanoformer will enable you to create all the Elements for the basic crafting action types. 

@blazemonger

There is really no "maybe". JC said the game is complicated and wil lbe complciated and that you need training to crtaft anything (EVE style training) to make anything. If you can't make it, you can buy it from someone who made it and put it up for sale.

He said these things in Markeedragon's channel, I would not take Markeedreagon as a the EVE Carebear role-model. 

Elements are just 3D mesh objects. There is no "voxel element".

Also, 3D mesh objects (Elements) have Schematics, constructs have Blueprints.

@GunDeva

Von Neumann spaceships are not a certainty.

Also, 3D printers are NOT Factory Units. They are different things. 3D printers are meant to print 3D Mesh Elements and items, Factory Units are meant to replicate Bluperints put into them (and linked to materials, of coruse). For all we know, Factory Units could be a Static Core thing only. So, you have more chances going to a new planet o na regular ship and just bring on that ship the essentials, Rez Nodes, Power and / or some stored Elements to get your base going.

Also, JC Baillie in one of the tutorial videos, has explained that Territory Claim Units won't be " a dime a dozen ", so do not build up hopes of claiminfg a piece of land and keeping it without some numbers behind you. Gotta be brutally honest here, lone wolves die out fast.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if a colony ship like in SC will make any sense in DU. When the new planet has the ressources, You can just go there with a small ship and build there. Probably bring pre-made blueprints and construction schematics with You. It'll only be necessary to bring the needed ressources if the planet You want to build on doesn't have any or the wrong ones.

Until we know more about the types of resources found in certain biomes, and the extent to which important elements can only be made with rare resources, we can't really judge how complicated colonization will be. However, given that players are capable of constructing most things themselves (or the elements needed to do those things they can't do themselves) then you don't really need much to colonize a planet besides yourself. Just fly there and start scanning down the basic resources necessary to building up a basic infrastructure, just like Minecraft. Major colonization pushes don't seem like a thing that will happen much in DU.

However, I'm sure that after a few years there will be big colonization or assault ships stocked full of resources, constructs, and pre-made bases for invading enemy planets, or for colony races to newly opened systems. 

I dunno, judging from what I've seen in the dev blogs, if you want to colonise a system and claim it, you'll have to get there (which takes a long time and (maybe?) resources), build a gate (more resources) and then put down territory claim units (which aren't cheap!) in areas of particular value/importance before anyone else does.

With all of that in mind, an organisation that plans ahead and sends a large ship with plenty of supplies will be better placed to do all of that immediately, rather than a single person that just turns up, has to scan for resources, mine them and then build the things they need.

So yeah, I'd imagine a single small ship could go to the system and build things for themselves, but they'd probably lose out a ton of resources/claims when a better prepared and equipped rival arrives and is able to set up shop immediately.

This is all just speculation, though; for all we know the mechanics are totally different, we'll have to wait until more information about DU is released.

3 hours ago, NanakotheNarcface said:

I dunno, judging from what I've seen in the dev blogs, if you want to colonise a system and claim it, you'll have to get there (which takes a long time and (maybe?) resources), build a gate (more resources) and then put down territory claim units (which aren't cheap!) in areas of particular value/importance before anyone else does.

With all of that in mind, an organisation that plans ahead and sends a large ship with plenty of supplies will be better placed to do all of that immediately, rather than a single person that just turns up, has to scan for resources, mine them and then build the things they need.

So yeah, I'd imagine a single small ship could go to the system and build things for themselves, but they'd probably lose out a ton of resources/claims when a better prepared and equipped rival arrives and is able to set up shop immediately.

Doesnt have to be a big ship either....could just be a fleet of smaller ships flying in formation. (Or somehow clamped to each other to share the thrust). Roll on DU mechanics so we can reduce the guess work ;)

11 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Doesnt have to be a big ship either....could just be a fleet of smaller ships flying in formation. (Or somehow clamped to each other to share the thrust). Roll on DU mechanics so we can reduce the guess work ;)

Or that! It would be a concerted effort, nonetheless, though! :P

Avatar Movie: IVVS Earth to Alpha Centauri (pandora)

I enjoyed this movie immensely for what it was: sci-fantasy setting for fairy tale story structure. The details of the trip the above ship makes from Earth to Pandora (one of the moons of the gas giant Polyphemus orbiting Alpha Centauri A in the AC star system, our nearest start our own solar system, is quite an interesting What If? comparison. The interesting details are the relationship between:-

* propulsion technology creating possible speed ranges

* acceleration and deceleration phases

* fuel requirements

* on-board carrying capacity and functions

* The derived speed, time, distance (with some time dilation thrown in too) measures of the journey.

I don't know what the structure of Dual Universe will be with respect to solar system distances between each other, galaxy (one is big enough??). I might need to read up on the lore some more. But how NQ design for the above within game systems is going to be interesting, of which it seems possible:-

1. Very large ships will be required to make large interstellar journeys via some "tech": Warp, Hyper, semi-FTL (!)?

2. Smaller ships might be more tolerable to atmospheric to space flight (think a behemoth expending fuel inside the gravity pull of a planet?

3. Warpgates: Maybe these will be for "super long distances"?

Some economic, time, resources, distances, fuel, options available CONNECTION between all these will materialize?

So for example, large ships could leap in a few days or more to another solar system in game time, whereas obviously the Warp tech is "instantaneous": But if that warp tech is not available, incredibly expensive so better deployed say the equivalent of >week of insterstellar time/game time or real time(!) then setting one up further away seems more practical.

Then add to what Vorengard said above about resource raw -> processing complexity -> infrastructure functional.

That Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times..." Yeah flown interstellar and forgot to pack my toothbrush: I'm screwed!

The overall shape I'm hoping for the game:-

1. Breaking planetside will feel immense for the first time

2. Exploring the solar system will feel immense

3. Interstellar travel will feel immense

4. The first stargate will feel immense

5. All the while "not perfect information" on the requirements for all the above stages until reached.

They go for a threefold system.

- normal engines to start and get off the planet, May take hours to reach the next planet

- once ftl is invented (skilled) you can decrease that time to minutes but still need days to weeks to others stars

- for instantaneous travel you can send a probe with 10.000c+ to another planet and then jump there, one time travel only. Ofc you should've built a stargate at first. Once you made the jump you can create the second stargate in the other solar system

Ofc all this is the vision and May change and is prone to balancing via skills, fuel, materials, Preis, production, feasibility, fun gameplay, and stuff

23 minutes ago, Lethys said:

They go for a threefold system.

- normal engines to start and get off the planet, May take hours to reach the next planet

- once ftl is invented (skilled) you can decrease that time to minutes but still need days to weeks to others stars

- for instantaneous travel you can send a probe with 10.000c+ to another planet and then jump there, one time travel only. Ofc you should've built a stargate at first. Once you made the jump you can create the second stargate in the other solar system

Ofc all this is the vision and May change and is prone to balancing via skills, fuel, materials, Preis, production, feasibility, fun gameplay, and stuff

or send several probes and jump several ships ;)

• 3 years later...
On 11/3/2017 at 6:38 PM, blazemonger said:

except that you can earn all the ships in game. Some people have already earned “$200” or more ships just in the alpha. And multiple times since the wallets are wiped almost monthly some times. 

the fact is most people pay for a ship to support the game. 

one of my students is happily playing SC with a $45 Aurora starter pack after introduced the game to him in 2018. 

he knows how to make money in game by performing missions, deliveries, pirating NPCs, repairing beacon satellites and of course: hand held and ship based mining. He can also wipe the floor with me in PvP in his little fighter while I have a more expensive ship, I am no match for him. The advantage of being a teenager I guess... lol.  (He’s also unfathomably good at Fortnite and Apex but likes SC because of the slower pace). 

I bet you paid more than that for your DU access.  Lol. And what of those things I listed above have you done with that money in DU? I’d say SC has far better ROI than DU if you are able to stop yourself from blowing your load into CR’s wallet. ?

DU is designed to make money for NQ!!!

Oh Noes!!!

LOL @GraXXoR

Reality has certain caught up with my post from 2017 :D

SC - all ships available in game, new ships buyable in game after 6-9 months

SE - runs 100+ player multi server clusters without much problem

DU - Waiting for word on whether the company will actually survive and get new funding

My investment in SC and DU is about on par, both low 4 digits .. not sorry about either. and not playing either right now. 

SE I paid €20 for and I just insta buy the DLCs when they come out.. And have been having a lot of fun playing SE again..

Yeah I am gonna necro a bit also, since this thread is a nice window back in time.

Looking back at the discussions we had then and what NQ said, the only conclusion I can make is that NQ will say one ting, and do/not do another.

Another thing that is striking, is that we can jump years back in time and the discussion is pretty much for the same state of early game that we have today.

This is true, the core of the game has not really progressed much. Overall wo got mining.. and industry.. and some extra filling sure.. But the game has really not changed or progressed much from where it was in 2017. In fact many of the core issues we reported and discussed back then still exists today.

@blazemonger  I was thinking back to my first few days in game... when we didn't have capacity limits on our nanopacks.

What have we actually got since then?

A digit on our screen called quanta... Mining mining mining... slightly better looking scenery...  

external containers... clunky external nanocrafters.

SCHEMATICS!!!! YAY!!!

randomly changing glass panels that seem to change colour every patch.

Clunky bot-infested markets... that can take minutes to interact with due to piled up junk from rage-quitted players.

Clunky pseudo-pvp... that nobody wants to play because it's clunky,

a few more Lua functions.

A one-size-fits-all warp drive and beacon.

shitty textures on our wooden furniture that make things look worn out.

Triangle panels that are TIER 2 that take longer to make than jet engines (because triangles are so much harder to make than squares goddamnit!)
Have I missed anything?

O man I had forgotten, we have have triangles now! But a release stamp on it, this game is ready!

And if I understood the 0.25 release notes correctly, there has been no compression on voxel data until now?!? Well, that explains A LOT..