About Lua script

[ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR

First time I didn't realized how powerfull was lua script, then novaquark put this video on YT explaining that the tutorial of DU was made with lua script. I was like "WHAAAAAAAT !?".

Lua script is an incredible and fun tool for the player. But isn't it too powerfull ?

With this tool you can rewrite almost the codes of DU. And if lua script wasn't flawless ? If someone could "hack" it to disturb the server for example ...

I think World of Warcraft uses Lua too. And there were people who changed their game files in the past, for example to get quicker to an end boss in a raid.

They were permanently banned.

Lua is just a programming language, just like C++ or *instert name of another programming language, I don´t know them, I am programming noob*. It will be used to program your constructs, but that´s it. You will not be able to somehow magically switch from programming your ship to shutting down the servers ingame, because that´s simply not how it works.

We will most likely be using a "sandboxed" Lua which has functions considered to be unsafe disabled and only affectsthe constructs in-game. :)

If you want an example of what I mean, check out ComputerCraft for minecraft.

2 hours ago, Nebenfigur said:

In Lua, you can only use functions implemented by the developer. So you can only open/close doors, etc.. You wouldn't be able to use an attack function.

I believe you will to some extend. It seems that in one of dev blogs it was mentioned - you can write lua script for turrets but it won't be so efficient as live people.

5 hours ago, Miamato said:

I believe you will to some extend. It seems that in one of dev blogs it was mentioned - you can write lua script for turrets but it won't be so efficient as live people.

From last interviews, current NQ vision is "one gun = one player". They won't be "automatable".

Regards,

Shadow.

Hi there,

@[ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR:

All the Lua functions won't be available and a lot of them will be sandboxed.

So the creativity freedom on that matter will have limits, for game balance sake.

@Oije: 

This is not the Pre-Alpha forum section. Please do not talk about anything related to game client and/or the game files for the time being.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

From last interviews, current NQ vision is "one gun = one player". They won't be "automatable".

Probably things changed. Or it may depend on ship/weapon size, because it makes no sense if small ship with 2-3 turrets needs a crew to operate it - pilot, 2-3 gunners, ammo loaders, exotic dancers and a personal gardener :)