Refining of materials

How is this going to be handled? In other games, it's usually for X units of ore you stick into the refining mechanic, you get Y units of refined material and that's that. That usually comes with an implied inventory space reduction. Say if I stick 10 units of iron ore into the refiner, I get one unit of iron out of it, or something, and nothing else. What used to take up 10 slots now only uses 1. Given that with the voxel stuff, everything's measured in volume, will it still follow the same old mechanics, or will refining result in waste material you get rid of? I.e. for 10m3 of low quality iron, you'd get say 3m3 of refined iron, but also 7m3 of useless cinder. How I understood it, there's different material qualities to which you can refine.

You can see in one of the devdiaries that coal + iron = steel.

So my guess, and from various interviews, I guess they want to make a hard to master and complicated system with different mamaterials and different furnaces

Took me a while to track that one down. In that devdiary, 1m3 of iron and 0.2m3 of coal turned into 1m3 of steel. So 0.2m3 of volume disappeared. 

The thing I'm wondering about is how far this goes then, and if any sort of material can be compacted significantly that way. Say if I can stick plain dirt into a furnace and create stone out of it (for brick walls or whatever), if there's a significant reduction in volume in that process, and if it doesn't take long or eat significant resources (if at all), I can circumvent/optimize my way around hauling significant amount of excavated material away when building a batcave or something.

2 hours ago, Glowtape said:

I can circumvent/optimize my way around hauling significant amount of excavated material away when building a batcave or something.

Why not just delete it ?

I can't imagine that there will be giant minedumps next to each shaft that gets dug in DU, lol

1 hour ago, NanoDot said:

Why not just delete it ?

I can't imagine that there will be giant minedumps next to each shaft that gets dug in DU, lol

Because sometime you want to move 300m^3 of iron but I only have 200m^3 cargospace

7 hours ago, Glowtape said:

Can you actually delete material in DU?

I'm speculating here, but what are players going to do with the thousands of cubic meters of dirt they will need to clear to get to resource deposits that are at 500m or deeper underground ?

I'm also quite sure that inventory space will not be infinite in the final version of DU.

Deleting of items is always a tricky feature in games involving full-loot PVP, but it has to be addressed somehow...

7 hours ago, NanoDot said:

I'm speculating here, but what are players going to do with the thousands of cubic meters of dirt they will need to clear to get to resource deposits that are at 500m or deeper underground ?

Same as in real life, create a huge pile of excavated material. :P

6 hours ago, 0something0 said:

The problem with refining materials as a form of compressing them is that you probably can't reverse the process which is a problem if you needed to raw material.

which doesn't matter much if

1) you have a skill that allows you to scrap the element and get the raw material back with a higher efficiency

2) you don't have that skill for higher efficiency and lose say 20% - but sometimes it's feasible to do it anyway because you won't be able to mine that rare stuff, or an enemy fleet is coming, or you're going on vacation for the next 3 weeks and can't play,...

16 hours ago, 0something0 said:

The problem with refining materials as a form of compressing them is that you probably can't reverse the process which is a problem if you needed to raw material.

I'd figure there's quite a few raw materials you don't want in that form. In the case of material not being destructible, the ability to turn dirt into a more compact refined material with a click or two would be interesting, before needing to haul it away to empty your inventory.

That said, if material were actually destructible, that'd be weird, because a guild could create a whole huge underground city and it'll go completely unnoticed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 7:44 PM, Glowtape said:

Took me a while to track that one down. In that devdiary, 1m3 of iron and 0.2m3 of coal turned into 1m3 of steel. So 0.2m3 of volume disappeared. 

Can you tell me which dev diary exactly? thanks.

On 02/11/2017 at 9:26 AM, NanoDot said:

make a hill, put a strange construct on top and call it art:)

I might be in the minority, but I don't want just a "trash" option for things like terrain waste.  Small items like gun parts, broken weapons, food etc would be find to "trash", but I think that allowing entire tens to thousands of cubic meters of terrain, rock and waste to just be deleted would be take something away from the potential of the game.  Just like condensing cargo down to tiny cubes (I hope condensing is only fraction of size for the original volume) would make freight hauling almost trivial, making waste just go "poof" would remove complexity and nuance from the game.  The need to move and dispose of unwanted material could open up and entirely new avenues of play for some people - like those of us who enjoyed playing with construction and earth-moving toys when we were kids.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about the refining process as well. Mainly:

>Can I throw my ores and such into a furnace or refinery and walk away to go do something else while it gets processed?

The answer to that question alone will drastically change the way we mass produce building material within corporations.

Lore-wise we have Calabi-Yau Compactification. Meaning we have a limited number of devices that store materials in a compact and light form. Would be an interesting way of handling compacting of materials, maybe you can store up to x amount as compacted (filling up your nanopack which I'm guessing is what our personal inventories represent) so that mining for a personal project was decently efficient (hauling-wise) and then larger scale operations that require more materials than individuals can hold would require the use of hauling vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Well, for all the people that dont know where to leave their dirt. Look me up in DU and feel free to donate. I am planning to make alot of bricks so any material you need to dump is appreciated. For other stuff you need to get rid of, feel free to contact me.

Aaron