Detailed Faction Logistics - Good or Bad?

Armedwithwings

Greetings everyone,i have a question for you.

Do you think a Faction heavy on the logistics and micromanagment side is possible to function smoothly in DU?

And if it utilized such requirements,would you wish to be part of it or rather avoid all the hassle thinking that it would withdraw from the overal experience?

Thank you in advance.

In competitive somewhat more detailed or 'advanced' settings, you usually always have some sort of logistical component added or at least might have it easier if you keep that component in mind, no matter how soft or hard it might be implemented into gameplay.

Again, reality can give plenty of examples on how useful or vital this is.

In other words, no aspiring expanding faction can afford to ignore logistics. Being "heavy" on the logistics side at least implies they have that aspect covered, assuming they scale it to their needs and capabilities. But that's mostly unique in the end.

In general or as "rule of thumb", you can't really ignore logistics, whether in business or war and if you do, you'll likely lose against opponents who do mind it and utilize it well. Driving the fuel truck or operating the tanker in space might not be as glorious to many like flying the fighter and being directly involved in combat, but without logistics there usually is no combat - or it does not last long.

You can't have a faction without having logistics. Nobody is gonna be ap art of your faction if you do not organise it properly.

Also, you confuse micromanagement with efficiency. People who micromanage don't last long in EVE Online - the only other MMO with a single server universe. EVE Online has been quoted as "Capitalism Simulator" cause of its free - and ruthless - market, but in DU, that's not going to bE the problem since people can OWN marketplaces and nothing is pre-built.

If people can manage to build cartels, they will build cartels and cartels, like any big organisations, require heavy logistical support. Transport, haulers, people doing things like guard duty, all of that amounts to logistical support.

1 hour ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

You can't have a faction without having logistics. Nobody is gonna be ap art of your faction if you do not organise it properly.

Also, you confuse micromanagement with efficiency. People who micromanage don't last long in EVE Online - the only other MMO with a single server universe. EVE Online has been quoted as "Capitalism Simulator" cause of its free - and ruthless - market, but in DU, that's not going to bE the problem since people can OWN marketplaces and nothing is pre-built.

If people can manage to build cartels, they will build cartels and cartels, like any big organisations, require heavy logistical support. Transport, haulers, people doing things like guard duty, all of that amounts to logistical support.

Perahps due to my lack of ingame experience i currently ignore the ammount of average logistics required for even the simplest of Faction control regulations in DU.

Are we provided any sort of Faction Managing platform or do we have have to micromange everything ourselves to the point of distributing our member's paycheck by hand? I know that you guys are under NDA so there's a limit to how much information you can share so please forgive me for any unintentional ignorance.

25 minutes ago, Armedwithwings said:

Perahps due to my lack of ingame experience i currently ignore the ammount of average logistics required for even the simplest of Faction control regulations in DU.

Are we provided any sort of Faction Managing platform or do we have have to micromange everything ourselves to the point of distributing our member's paycheck by hand? I know that you guys are under NDA so there's a limit to how much information you can share so please forgive me for any unintentional ignorance.

RDMS - Rights & Duties Management System is enabling you to set who can use and who can do what within which and what construct and territory. It's in their devblogs, under "Rights & Duties Management System", it's not a secret :P

Example : Only people tagged under the role of "Security Force" can equip guns and use them. People not tagged as Security Force or above can't use them and if they do, they will be flagged - or something, it's not clear yet.

So, you can just set up roles, and people within said role have the ability to do sutff. i.e. only engineers can use repair tools and only Construction can uses Build Mode.

That sort of deal. It's a good system.

8 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

RDMS - Rights & Duties Management System is enabling you to set who can use and who can do what within which and what construct and territory. It's in their devblogs, under "Rights & Duties Management System", it's not a secret :P

Example : Only people tagged under the role of "Security Force" can equip guns and use them. People not tagged as Security Force or above can't use them and if they do, they will be flagged - or something, it's not clear yet.

So, you can just set up roles, and people within said role have the ability to do sutff. i.e. only engineers can use repair tools and only Construction can uses Build Mode.

That sort of deal. It's a good system.

Thank you my friend,this information has been trully invaluabe.

I had a glimpse of the dev blogs back in the past,however your post was really enlightening and insightful on the whole possibilities within the RDMS system.

With this knoweldge all my inner qualms subdued,it's pleasing to know that the game is in line with my personal desires.

Logistics and micromanagement will not only be possible in DU, they will pretty much be required part of any big organization.

Of course, small ones will not have this problem. If 3 friends create a company, build a transport ship together and then start transporting goods for other organizations, it won´t be really complex. Yes, they will have to think about where to find customers, how much money will they earn compared to costs to run everything and so on, but overall, it won´t be that difficult.

On the other hand, look at huge organizations. They will have to build and manage things on much larger scale. Will they, let´s say, build their military vessels by themselver rather than outsource it to other organization? Then they need to think of getting enough materials to produce them. Will they mine everything themselves? Then they need to get people mining. Those people need protection from potential enemies (with the size of planets, one organization claiming whole world is something that will happen far in the future, if ever), so military will have to be sent to protect the miners. Materials then need to be transported to place where construction of elements will happen. Then these elements have to be put into factories, together with mined material, to produce the fighters on mass scale. Then the produced fighters need to be moved to their final destination, so you need to find a way to transport them...but safely, to prevent some pirates or enemies from blowing the transport up. Of course, they can be flown there by their pilots, but those pilots will probably be in that final destination, not on planet where the fighters were made (and maybe it will be in the middle of a war and both fighters and pilots will have to be moved, because pilot died in previous fight and was ressurected at the Arkship).

Even the simplest things become extremely difficult once they need to be done at a huge scale. So don´t worry, some people will focus on logistics and there will also be entire organizations doing so (example: shipbuilding companies doing everything I just wrote and then just selling the finished product to those empires).

In my school time, I had a teacher who was a military officer too and he explained to us that stopping a tank is quite simple - blow up the fuel transporter and the tank won't get far.

In other words: Logistics does matter and the larger the undertaking the more important the logistic part.