FORCE FIELDS

[ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR

Just so you know, anyone with current access will likely not answer this question here due to potential violation of the NDA.

As such, I will direct you to watch the youtube released videos, especially the new tutorials they put up.

31 minutes ago, TheBlender said:

Just so you know, anyone with current access will likely not answer this question here due to potential violation of the NDA.

As such, I will direct you to watch the youtube released videos, especially the new tutorials they put up.

Yeah I know but I was just asking for your opinion in fac ! But thank you anyway for your answer !

3 hours ago, [ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR said:

Will we be allowed to place forcefields on ships ?

From what I have heard/read, actual force-fields are going to be stationary, but movable constructs like ships will probably have virtual shields where your ship can take a certain amount of fire before it actually starts taking damage based on some kind of shield generator in the ship. This would be easier than a bubble since ships can vary in size and shape so much.

I guess it all depends on how closely DU follows EVE's combat design.

Force fields (a.k.a shields) and armour are standard tropes in any space game with combat, but implementations vary widely between different games.

If the OP's referring to the force fields that were shown in the tutorial video, those will definitely be elements that can be integrated into any construct, be they bases, space stations or even bigger ships. But those force fields are intended to block access (e.g. doorways, passages, etc.) , rather than to protect ships from weapons fire.

14 hours ago, [ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR said:

Will we be allowed to place forcefields on ships ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that this topic is about shields. I believe OP is asking about force field walls that allow passage by certain people or constructs, but that keep out others. 

With that in mind, JC has mentioned this possibility is multiple interviews, videos, and posts, but as far as I'm aware we have never been explicitly told that such elements will be in the game. 

That being said, I hope they introduce such elements, because it would make several aspects of construct design much easier, especially with no moving parts. Without force fields, making Carriers for fighters would be much more difficult, as enemy fighters could fly inside the launch bays, thus being un-targetable by ship defenses. It would also allow for the construction of private spaces in public constructs.

17 hours ago, [ĦΞЯΘŻ]-TMR said:

Yeah I know but I was just asking for your opinion in fac ! But thank you anyway for your answer !

Hey I can answer your question more directly now. Check out the recent dev diary

My ship is no longer under NDA apparently! ... It's at 2:28-2:29 about, and it's on the left hand side of the screen. You'll also see my name. So if this is what you mean by forcefield , it should answer the question.