Weather - Sand Storms, Thunderstorms, Snowstorms, etc.

yamamushi

I'd like to see sandstorms that are so thick that they block out the light and are visible from space.

Something like this would be awesome to experience in DU, and I can't think of many (or any) games that have this:

I'd also like to see Thunderstorms and Snowstorms, though I don't know if the engine would support "real" snow and rain, or they would just be textures. 

Would storms have an effect on players/ships/etc?

I'm not asking for real-world modeled weather patterns, just the occasional random storm and perhaps natural disaster, though I guess natural disasters are a whole other topic. 

I'd like to see sandstorms that are so thick that they block out the light and are visible from space.

Something like this would be awesome to experience in DU, and I can't think of many (or any) games that have this:

I'd also like to see Thunderstorms and Snowstorms, though I don't know if the engine would support "real" snow and rain, or they would just be textures. 

Would storms have an effect on players/ships/etc?

I'm not asking for real-world modeled weather patterns, just the occasional random storm and perhaps natural disaster, though I guess natural disasters are a whole other topic. 

I believe JC said in his interview with GrayStillPlays that at release any weather effects would just be textures. I'm unsure if they'd affect any ship systems, though that'd be interesting

As for natural disasters, I wouldn't mind a system such as this. However, if they were to be implemented, I'd propose that we "first gen" players form a coalition, sorta like FEMA (an national American disaster relief group, for all yall who don't know) where we help get any new players who were affected by the natural disaster in game and reimburse them/ help them get by in such a difficult time.

Would a natural disaster that destroys buildings and constructs, effect the Arkified zone around the ark ship? Personally I think it would be fine if it did, but I got the impression that that zone is supposed to be where someone can build something and not have it destroyed, or is the arkzone ment to be a simple non-combat zone?

As for the storms I think that would be very cool as well, when at early stages you have to wait for the weather to clear up or risk systems failures onboard your ship. 

Sandstorms would be pretty easy to implement as an effect. Just particles at ground level basically. Would add some more PvE to the desert environments/planets. I would imagine getting caught in a dust storm could impede communications, and lower visibility would make it harder to navigate.

+1 for this idea. 

I would like to see the weather patterns have effects on the player and ship. 

But as for actually doing it, I'd just love to see the rain on a planet, the drizzle in a jungle. A sandstorm on a desert planet. It would just make things more interesting that just the planet existing with the different biomes on it. 

As for effects, I imagine sandstorms and blizzards would impede movement and communications, rain wouldn't effect too much I don't believe, maybe make movement a little harder or the handling harder on a ship (added water weight, etc). With ark zones, they're meant to be large shielded areas, so maybe hostile weather conditions are forced to stay outside, or something like that. It may be too hard to implement, but I think that would be cool.

As for natural disasters, well, you're right, that's just another topic, hahaha. 
I imagine they would have the chance to just level things.

But I think anything like that will be a little further down the line.

Suggestions for effects:

Reduced sensor/comms range in a rainstorm

Reduced efficiency of machines/elements in a sandstorm+reduced visibility

Severe decrease in temperature in snowstorm+reduced visibility

Very small chance of causing machines/elements to shut down for a short time in a thunder storm

I believe JC said in his interview with GrayStillPlays that at release any weather effects would just be textures. I'm unsure if they'd affect any ship systems, though that'd be interesting

As for natural disasters, I wouldn't mind a system such as this. However, if they were to be implemented, I'd propose that we "first gen" players form a coalition, sorta like FEMA (an national American disaster relief group, for all yall who don't know) where we help get any new players who were affected by the natural disaster in game and reimburse them/ help them get by in such a difficult time.

+1 for FEMA

As for the weather being textures, I don't doubt that will be the case. It wasn't mentioned in the GrayStillPlays interview, I only know this because I spent 4 hours transcribing it, but I'm thinking that it was mentioned here on the forums before. 

Any addition to the game that adds to the immersion of the universe we will all be in, is a good addition in my book. Bring on the blizzards, torrential rains, and dust storms!

"You forgot earthquakes and tsunamis. Good luck to prime real estate..."

With no npc's and players spread thin over may worlds weather hazards would be essential. It can be done already in minecraft there is an absolutely terrifying weather mod out there on the forge mod pack list.  If it can be done there it can be done anywhere. 

Some other hazards possible. I do scary lists. 

1. Dust devil. Small local 1 metre at the base 4 metres top 10 metres high. Cleans solar cells on mars. No damage but moves player a meter or two randomly. Don't dance with one at the edge of a cliff. These may move in swarms all moving randomly but in the same direction. 
  2. Abrasive dust devil. The same as above but does do some damage to a player within 2 metres. Keeps you on your toes. 
  3. Charged dust devil. The same as 1 with a light show and a Zap. A lot of damage 2 - 4 metres range and directional lightening attack. Becomes a normal dust devil after discharging.  
  4. Toxic pool. Don't step in it corrodes suit, damage, easy to avoid but may be concentrated around rich resource nodes creating a maze challenge. 
  5. Thin ice. Walk on it and you fall though into chilled water. You take damage unless your suit is optimised or upgraded for it. It is not deep so you can scramble out. Cold worlds with liquid water only. I have fallen in one myself it ruined our snow holiday. 
  6. Ice Crevice. Thin ice hides a deep hole. Drop 3 - 4 metres. Cold conditions. Scramble out. Tread carefully. 
  7. Volcanic Crevice. Brittle lava and ash over a hole. As per 6 but hot. Generally fatal in the real world! Should be survivable in game. 
  8. Vegetated Crevice. Just a hole with plants over it. Drop 4 - 8 metre. Survivable landing. Scramble out. Adds risk to Worlds with life on it. Could lead to interesting cave system. 
  9. Dead air cave. Toxic air voxels in a cave, suit up. 
  10. Creeping dune. Slow moving ridge of sand moving towards your base. Various sizes. Width 6 times it's height. length 2 times its height. Moves in the direction of its length. Resource sand. If you can do voxel ships you can do dunes and waves, sparingly. 
  11. Toxic dune. As per 10 but does damage to suit as you walk on it or try to mine it out. Useful chemicals. 
  12. Geyser. Intermittent, dangerous, even seen on ice moons. A useful resource. Hot damaging if you're too close. They can be hidden under a layer of chemical deposits and dust. Natural mine. 
  13. Wave. If you can do a lump of copper you can do a volumetric wave. 8 x 2 x 1 with long axis being the width. Flat on the bottom and tapered at the ends. Move on water and ice. Should be no harder than vegetation on flat terrain but moving. Moves player in the water, could knock pull a player into the water if on shore. It could be hit by very low flying vehicles and ships doing damage. Don't over do them but adds interest to a big empty ocean.
  14. Flash flood. As a 13 above but in a river and dry river. Much longer than wide. Clips into landscape. Should be rare. Don't camp or land on the river bed. 
  15. Dust cloud. Replace air voxels with a coloured air voxel and change sky light settings. Choking damage to unsuited players. 
  16. Abrasive cloud. As per 15 but with more damage and can damage suits and small ships. 
  17. Toxic cloud. As per 15 but with more damage and can damage suits. Interesting chemicals. 
  18. Acid cloud. Venus has these. As per 17 but big and high above the planets surface. Can damage ship's if not properly designed. A resource; mix it with CO2 in the right chemistry set and you get water, sulphur, or plastics. Make a balloon city. 
  19. Nebular cloud in space. Replace vacuum voxels with a coloured vacuum voxel and change sky light settings, hide the stars. Big enough to hide a ship or a fleet and force you to play cat and mouse in the dark. Forces short range combat by disabling long range targeting. 
  20. Unstable cloud. As 19 but forces you to use a lot of power just surviving in it. Some ship damage if you run out of power.  Just firing some weapons may be dangerous. 

The idea is not to kill the player out right but keep him or her reminded that aliens and other players are not the only thing the big bad world has to offer. 

No nasty alien ships or fauna needed.