Modding??? A possiblity for Dual Universe

cyber_wyber

Hey kinda new here...

Just looking through the forums and saw that theres ALOT of good ideas just thought though are there going to be way of implementing your own mods into the game or is it a set game with locked tools because the idea of a Star wars build your own ships mod would be awesome!!!

Thanks.

not going to give a defiant answer of no....how ever any kind of modding would probably be strictly client side if there is any. but I highly, highly doubt there is going to be mod support. Iv personally never seen mod support for a MMO. Even gui mods are a lot of time squashed as being cheating after a time

No. You can't add modding to an MMO.

A possible idea and a feasible idea are not the same.

Asking for mods in an MMO is the same as saying "Let me throw a grenade down the toilet instead of flushing". Sure, you could do that, but the Devs don't have to satisfy your feces fetish by raking the server's stability.

The HUD might already be customisable either through drag and drop boxes or LUA to show system/ship stats and all sorts of info. Until the games gets closer to Alpha or Beta we won't know.

If anything the only client side mods that could happen is a ReShade/SweetFX mod, but you probably wouldn't need it anyway :)

if they implement mods in this game i would be surprised just for the simple fact that other players who dont have your mod wouldnt be able to see it or interact with it which could cause some imbalance issues. For example i have a modded cockpit that has a rediculous amount of armor, you dont have that mod and i attack you... how would that play out? What i would like to see is a system where maybe a modder can submit a design or mod to the devs and have it put into the game for everyone. I believe that community involvement is a huge plus in games.

If there were to be 'mods', which I wouldn't even call them, it would all be client side. 
Sort of like how War Thunder does its custom camo system, you change the texture but on YOU can see the change. There would be no reason to allow proper modding as this would allow people to introduce elements that would throw the balance of the game too far out. 

But I do agree with the above, maybe some community input would be a good way to decide on 'mods'/new items that the developers would have the final say on the stats of, etc.
Though I have seen this go south, i.e, the company/dev team stops adding them because they need to have someone dedicated to this effort. 

Custom building tools also falls under addons. As I already said, you usually do not find custom mods on an MMO. It's highly impractical. Every player would need to install the mod in order for the server to work properly and in order for players to be able to join. To resolve this, the devs could always include the mod inside the game's files. However, with so many people submitting mods, the size of the game would rise exceedingly quickly. All it does is add time and work for the devs. An MMO is not a game for modding. That's why you never see mods on any other MMO game outside of the game's main servers. Such as WoW. It's been modded, but not on the main servers. To play the mod, you need to host your own dedicated server or join an existing server that is hosting the mod. It is even more impractical for DU because there is going to be a single server for all players to play on, and no software released to allow players to host their own servers. One server. 

Do not expect mods to happen. While it is possible, it's highly unlikely. There are many other reasons why it's probably not going to happen, as there are reasons why it could happen.

Textures, however, are more than possible. They are almost necessary. For custom faction flags, ranks, ship decals, etc.