CoreVamore

Running DU under WINE in Linux

1 minute ago, Glowtape said:

Unless they went with OpenGL or Vulkan for the Windows version already, I don't foresee any direct Linux support anytime soon.

Just to be clear I am not expecting a Linux port of DU at any stage. It would be great if it happened, but I am not banking on it. NQ has much on its plate right now and doesn't need the added programming burden. 

This is why I am looking at using WINE to hopefully do the job. Fingers crossed anyway. ;)

Anyone mind quickly explaining why Vulkan and OpenGL are required for a speedy Linux integration?

Just curious is all :P

Been playing around with my PS4 and booted up Fedora on it, and trying to get PC games working has put me in this area haha.  Primarily been using Wine and SteamOS with native support... So are all Linux ports on Vulkan or OpenGL?

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Anyone mind quickly explaining why Vulkan and OpenGL are required for a speedy Linux integration?

Just curious is all :P

Been playing around with my PS4 and booted up Fedora on it, and trying to get PC games working has put me in this area haha.  Primarily been using Wine and SteamOS with native support... So are all Linux ports on Vulkan or OpenGL?

Vulkan and OpenGL are the two best and most supported graphics programming interfaces in Linux, hence games made using those interface standards have much less recoding needed to run on Linux. Which ultimately means less cost to port from Windows to Linux, hence more profit for the company due to reduced costs.

AFAIK, all ports to linux are either OpenGL (which would be the most common in the past as its the original graphics api) and more recently Vulkan, which is the replacement/new API which is now reaching a level of maturity.

The DU team use Unreal Engine as its development platform that supports Direct X and Vulkan, so it could well be a 'trivial' matter for porting DU to linux.

5 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

The DU team use Unreal Engine as its development platform that supports Direct X and Vulkan, so it could well be a 'trivial' matter for porting DU to linux.

Actually no, they use Unigine.

Unigine has direct support for Linux and MacOS so the GFX engine is not why NQ choose to develop Windows only. And a port would not be a trivial matter.

While I could see NQ open up to other platforms at some time in the future, I would expect there simply is no current potential market for them to make doing so a viable option. Both Linux and MacOS simply have too small marketshare to validate dedicating the resources needed.

A good (IMO) reference would be Steam which for 2017 showed (SOURCE): 

Month Microsoft Windows Mac OS Linux Other
January 2017[87] 95.79% 3.31%

0.80%

Even with Valve having seriously tried to push Linux, it's just not happening and IMO never will. If you can get DU to work in a usable form then good for you but for Linux users to have an expectation of direct/official support is simply unrealistic.

7 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Actually no, they use Unigine.

Unigine has direct support for Linux and MacOS so the GFX engine is not why NQ choose to develop Windows only. And a port would not be a trivial matter.

Ahhh thats right, I stand corrected, thought it was Unity as that was the only "U" named games engine that was leaping into my feeble memory.

However nobody was saying at any stage that any graphics engine was targeted for NQ to develop on windows - idk where you got that angle from at all.

We also never said NQ was developing DU for Linux, I dont expect that to happen, I would support it if they did, but I dont expect it. We were talking generally about general games, platforms and graphics subsystems, that all.

I actually would not be surprised if NQ releases a native Linux or Mac client one day in the distant future, they just don't have the resources for it now. 

They all know how to use Linux, the server runs on Linux, it's not like they don't want to do it. It's just not a priority at the moment.

Meanwhile, there's not a whole lot preventing you from running the game on a Linux host right now, and if you need help doing it I can assist a bit as I've already managed to make it work on my own. 

52 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

I actually would not be surprised if NQ releases a native Linux or Mac client one day in the distant future, they just don't have the resources for it now. 

They all know how to use Linux, the server runs on Linux, it's not like they don't want to do it. It's just not a priority at the moment.

Meanwhile, there's not a whole lot preventing you from running the game on a Linux host right now, and if you need help doing it I can assist a bit as I've already managed to make it work on my own. 

I use PlayOnLinux for Wine setup. Would love to see what settings u use to get DU running. Ive signed up for alpha 2 so hopefully will be lending a hand shortly.

9 hours ago, BlorgonSlayer said:

Some kind of boot camp/alt boot situation would be best rather than trying something like wine or VM.   Running two OS at once is going to dramatically decrease performance, especially for a game like this.

Technically Wine are windows api calls converted into linux calls so its one operating system as far as the app is concerned with a 5% to 25% performance hit (some calls are faster than Windows too). 

A VM like virtual box is a no go due to its inability to handle games graphics.

Other vms running on a dedicated graphics card have been proven in the past to have close to native performance.

And as yamamushi said its already possible to run it under wine, so if it works with minimal performance impact why not use Wine?

I guess the question remain how well it runs. I mean if it runs near the performance native Windows offers then great, it's a possible point to raise and advocate towards Linux users. If it runs with severe performance impact (sub 20fps or worse) than it may not be a 'selling point' for the game.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I guess the question remain how well it runs. I mean if it runs near the performance native Windows offers then great, it's a possible point to raise and advocate towards Linux users. If it runs with severe performance impact (sub 20fps or worse) than it may not be a 'selling point' for the game.

Exactly :)  Once the NDA is lifted we will have a better idea and I will be able to have an input too as I'm signed up for Alpha 1 access. I have mid level hardware graphics wise so it will be an interesting test. Fingers and toes crossed. :)