The "Bed" as a useful element

Kalion

The "Bed" can be a useful element for logging out of the game and if you get disconnected from the game. Let me explain.

By "resting" on a bed element that is not already claimed, you can bind yourself to that element when you log out. So no matter where that element goes (if it is on a ship) when you log back in, you spawn as resting on the bed.

Similarly, if you get disconnected, you will spawn in at the last bed that you claimed.

A "Bed" element can only be claimed by one person at a time, when a person claims a different bed, the last one he claimed is freed for someone else to claim.

That would also make bedrooms a nice feature on ships and planetary buildings, where you go to "rest" and then log off the game. Also, this would possibly make the Hotel/Motel business viable.

Another possibility is that if you log off without being in a rest state, it may leave your avatar in game and vulnerable for a period of time. When you log back in, the game tries to put you where you were, but if you were in a moving ship... you may end up in space. Trying to log off without being in a rest state could give you a warning as such.

Just an idea

39 minutes ago, Kalion said:

The "Bed" can be a useful element for logging out of the game and if you get disconnected from the game. Let me explain.

By "resting" on a bed element that is not already claimed, you can bind yourself to that element when you log out. So no matter where that element goes (if it is on a ship) when you log back in, you spawn as resting on the bed.

Similarly, if you get disconnected, you will spawn in at the last bed that you claimed.

A "Bed" element can only be claimed by one person at a time, when a person claims a different bed, the last one he claimed is freed for someone else to claim.

That would also make bedrooms a nice feature on ships and planetary buildings, where you go to "rest" and then log off the game. Also, this would possibly make the Hotel/Motel business viable.

Another possibility is that if you log off without being in a rest state, it may leave your avatar in game and vulnerable for a period of time. When you log back in, the game tries to put you where you were, but if you were in a moving ship... you may end up in space. Trying to log off without being in a rest state could give you a warning as such.

Just an idea

Im not sure but I am guessing the non-static core takes care of that, especially in the case of a communication dropout/disconnect with the game.

The bed idea is interesting however ;)

More seriously though, I think the idea of having a dynamic core unit is that anybody in a dynamic unit will be bound to the unit if they are logged off (intentionally or otherwise). 

I'm not sure a bed unit is actually a good fix to the problem you foresee.  What if I'm inside a large ship flying across space (so not bound the cockpit or anything like that) and my cat turns off my router so I am accidentally logged off.  Do I reappear in space or in the dynamic unit?  What if I'm not even authorized to use the unit, I'm just a passanger?

On the other hand, what if I log off standing near someone's ship not realizing that I'm in the dynamic unit box?  If they fly off into space, will I appear in space outside the ship and be stranded when I log back in?  More maliciously, can someone stand right next to my ship in a safezone and then log off while I'm away then log back in after I've flown to a non-safe zone and proceed to strip my ship if I'm away mining or something?

Maybe there should be a way to find out if any unit you have access to has another player connected to it for login?

Du has "resurrection nodes" already, and those are intended to handle the features that the OP seems to want to associate with "beds".

Resurrection node mechanics devblog

Rez nodes are quite important in DU, and will be expensive to create and operate, because they have significant tactical and strategic implications. It would not make sense to treat beds that way.

16 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Du has "resurrection nodes" already, and those are intended to handle the features that the OP seems to want to associate with "beds".

Resurrection node mechanics devblog

Rez nodes are quite important in DU, and will be expensive to create and operate, because they have significant tactical and strategic implications. It would not make sense to treat beds that way.

I think his argument was for logging off, not dying. 

This was already discussed in some thread but I can't find it right now.

Imho it would be a good addition for logging off on a construct and all the problems that arise from that