Realistic sound

marax27

Hello everyone. I'm curious how realistic the game sound will be. For example: will you be able to hear an explosion of another vessel, in space? I would play with realistic audio with pleasure, but surely there are people who simply like explosions :). That's why I think game could offer two audio modes. What do you think about it?

I mean...if we talking about realistic....you wont hear sound in space. however I don't think there is ANY knowledge as to the type of sounds in the game yet.

Actually ginger in a way you are right - and in another way you are wrong. Technically there is no sound in space - no atmosphere, no material - no sound waves. Now on the other hand if a projectile for instance hits your ship - you will hear it as that force is being transferred into your hull - which is a solid object - and there is atmosphere inside your ship, so technically there would be a sound.

Actually ginger in a way you are right - and in another way you are wrong. Technically there is no sound in space - no atmosphere, no material - no sound waves. Now on the other hand if a projectile for instance hits your ship - you will hear it as that force is being transferred into your hull - which is a solid object - and there is atmosphere inside your ship, so technically there would be a sound.

he did say of another ship exploding though. at worst you would atleast hear the atmosphere leaving your own ship

edit: that being said and this being a game....they will probably have sounds regardless if its realistic in real life or not...or I hope cause silence drives me mad

lol my feelings on this are lets go new battle star galacitca as far as how they did sound in space (yes i realize that space is a vaccume that sound cannot pass through). They made it sound very muffled but still audible for space battles. This is a game after all not a full blown simulation.

If your in the lets make this real camp, anytime your in space, turn off your speakers. Problem solved.

Or, alternatively, they could go the EvE Pod route. 

Essentially, the story behind it (for those who don't know) is the sounds of the ship and space are simulated so as to allow the capsuleer to have another sense of awareness in the vacuum of space.
So, technically everything could just be simulated sounds on board the ship.

I will presume that sounds will be a thing though, regardless of whether you are in the vacuum of space or not - just because I'm sure there is going to be some form of sound you'll want to hear as a warning, etc.

i agree that no sounds in space doesnt make for a very good game idea... so yeah eve was onto the right sort of story. gotta have the pew pew

make it more like Inertial Dampeners whining as you take a ship on a tight turn, so the navigator knows not to cause damage on the crew on-board and crunching sounds if you pass another ship that goes in the opposite direction than you, as your collective velocities send ripples of gravitational attractions from one ship to the other.

Much atmospheric, many immersive.

Yes, eventually it may become annoying, but for some time... There aren't many games that can offer realistic space.

"If only there was something like a radio channel. I'm referring to the kind that's in Saints Row IV. That was a beauty and it still allowed you to add your own soundtracks. Space is silent--as far as sound coming from outside is true. But, who's to say that we can't have sounds inside our crafts?"

i agree that no sounds in space doesnt make for a very good game idea... so yeah eve was onto the right sort of story. gotta have the pew pew

well there would still be sounds like impact engines and other ambient sounds as well as when your in an atmosphere the sounds would be normal. you just won't be able to hear a gunshot without the vibrations somehow being able to travel to so so if its on another ship a little distance away you won't here it but if its on yours you will

Well, if this is any hint, the devs are going for "Photo-Realistic Graphics". Perhaps they will aim for realistic sound as well.

"It doesn't have to be too realistic. Muffled sounds and ambient/synthetic pad music will do even for Beta, but yes: I agree."

I want sounds  lol    from the hum of my warp engines to explosions...  shreaking of phasers flying by in space,  to the tardis landing in my cargo bay

You do know that in space, nobody can hear yor Pew-Pew unless you are the one getting hit by them, right? :P