A better Arkship position(PLEASE MOVE TO AGORA)

0something0

So far, we have seen the arkship landed on Alioth. I think a better place to put the arkship is in geo/aliothstationary orbit with a space elevator hanging down to the safezone. This would allow the game to be more balanced while requiring more delta-v to do space stuff and would be more realistic in general.

And please watch this video to see what I mean. This guy can explain it much better then I can.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBCxWcAPXw

DU space elevator.png

14 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

So far, we have seen the arkship landed on Alioth. I think a better place to put the arkship is in geo/aliothstationary orbit with a space elevator hanging down to the safezone. This would allow the game to be more balanced while requiring more delta-v to do space stuff and would be more realistic in general.

Why would you need more delta v? You're in space already.

I dunno if slowing down from c to a geostationary orbit is more "realistic" than a magical metal which absorbs shockwaves

4 hours ago, Lethys said:

I dunno if slowing down from c to a geostationary orbit is more "realistic" than a magical metal which absorbs shockwaves

Magical metal which absorbs shockwaves  =)  I love this idea and it will probably add to the game as a rare and expensive metal ore ! 

5 hours ago, Lethys said:

Are you talking about Kyrium right? There could potentially be a material made of atoms that are made of a stable arrangement of heavier quarks with crazy strong electromagnetic bonds. The arkships, as I understand, were built in a rush and it would have been much simpler to only have a deep space propulsion system and structures without having to worry about landing. Besides, we know that going up to 0.99c can be done, just very hard to do.

On the note of the Delta-V, you would need delta-v to launch from the planet in the first place if you don't want to use the space elevators, and you would need some more to maneuver in space and get to places.

2 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Are you talking about Kyrium right? There could potentially be a material made of atoms that are made of a stable arrangement of heavier quarks with crazy strong electromagnetic bonds. The arkships, as I understand, were built in a rush and it would have been much simpler to only have a deep space propulsion system and structures without having to worry about landing. Besides, we know that going up to 0.99c can be done, just very hard to do.

On the note of the Delta-V, you would need delta-v to launch from the planet in the first place if you don't want to use the space elevators, and you would need some more to maneuver in space and get to places.

Well you need that delta v too if the ark is down on the planet so that is not a valid argument.

And you now would need atmospheric thursters to go to places. 

It doesn't change anything.

So, lore wise, it's much easier to just accelerate to c and fly to alioth - then suicide burn to slow down in the last possible instance and let kyrium absorb the impact

the vacuum thrusters(probably terawatt nuclear engines)  probably will create a massive nuclear crater at the impact zone or will not work at all due to to atmosphere flooding the engine (imagine if you tried to operate a jet engine underwater). The best we can hope for is to survive crashing into the planet at terminal velocity or staying in orbit.

My main point with the delta-v was that my concept would allow for the requirement of more realistic amounts of delta-v without going to space objects harder.

I mean, by providing space access by elevator,  it becomes possible to increase delta v needed to go someplace meaningful to make it harder while providing comparatively easy access to near planet space(or else you would be able to get into orbit with a x-wing)

I dont like this idea because:

* it adds a layer of complexity to the game that could  put off new players (I gotta go where? down to the planet on an elevator/ship? where do I go to do it? How do i fly a ship etc etc etc.)

* We have the earth tech that allows us to land on the new planet , one that has been identified as being hospitable to land on, one that is our destination, we have traveled for hundreds/thousands of years, why not land?

* it removes the need to go down to that specific planet as you could grab a shuttle craft and go explore other ones in the system, potentially ruining the critical mass needed to form the first city in the early parts of the game.

Just my 2c worth  ;)

-its a space elevator, and there obviously will be tutorials and atuff5

-Dont land because to design a ship for landing, it brings up whole new challenges (the kyrium hull may survive but what about all the stuff inside?)

-like I said, space elevator, not a shuttle. And if you want to carry up a shuttle from the surface,  you gotta buy/make the shuttle and stuff...

Kyrium absorbs shockwaves, that's how everything survives. 

Bringing people to space for free is just a bad bad bad decision.

Getting to space will be an achievement, a ceremony, a dream for many many players. Finally getting there after skilling, mining and producing for weeks will be SO good. 

Taking that away is....bad.

Free stuff is never a good idea imho, people have to work for it

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

-its a space elevator, and there obviously will be tutorials and atuff5

-Dont land because to design a ship for landing, it brings up whole new challenges (the kyrium hull may survive but what about all the stuff inside?)

-like I said, space elevator, not a shuttle. And if you want to carry up a shuttle from the surface,  you gotta buy/make the shuttle and stuff...

Tutorials to get to surface just to start the game..... and that elevator ride would be at best at least a 10 min ride..... its a sure fire way to have new players quit before they even begin.... 

8 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Yeah, but they will have to worn to build something that can go somewhere meaningful. Like I said, increase delta v needed to go places and make early game engines inefficient like modern day chem engines.

But that's already planned- making early tech inefficient with inefficient fuel. 

Still don't get what you mean by increase delta v to go places as you CLEARLY need more delta for going through the atmosphere and THEN to other planets in comparison to start in space

Besides the vertical bad experience as I explained.

Besides the possibility to abuse it to hell (100 people mine and compress those raw materials, go up with the elevator and build a big ship instantly)

Ok, this is silly guys. Are you here to argue about delta-v, or the placement of the arkship? Furthermore, arguing about the "realism" of this situation is rather pointless and adds nothing to the discussion.

If you have legitimate gameplay reasons for why the arkship should be moved, I'd love to hear them, but this silly squabbling about things that don't matter is just a waste of everyone's time. 

Sure. We can just say "it was going to deploy around orbit but something went really wrong so it had to crash land"

I'm pretty sure the arkship nuclear engines will irradiate the planet even if it finishes burning at a 100km distance and while kyrium might allow the arkship to survive the fall, the surrounding terrain probably wont.

And when I was talking about increased delta v needed to go places, I meant increasing it so you need more fuel to change inclination/altitude, going to other celestial bodies, etc.

Reminder from the Lore:

Designed to travel close to the speed of light for extensive periods, the Arkship engines are also not part of the colonist [UMF] documentation and no assembly schema could be found within the archives. There is much debate over why the [UMF] would intentionally withdraw such potentially useful information. 

Once on approach to the destination planet, the Arkship is designed to literally “plant” itself into the planet, to allow the deployment of deep geothermal energy collectors that should sustain the ship functions for potentially unlimited amounts of time. One of the key functions of the ship once arrived, is to deploy a 20km radius safe zone area where colonist would be free from any form of aggression from the outside, or… from themselves.
  • Kyrium is an absolute mystery. Nothing is available in the Arkship archives about its nature, how it was found, how to create it or even manipulate it. No colonist have the slightest memory about the Kyrium. If Aphelia is asked for information on Kyrium, the Novark’s AI will just give an elusive answer, explaining its lack of information as  memory loss. Obviously, this is not a satisfying answer.

• The Arkship light speed engine is completely undocumented. No schema is available to rebuild one using 3D nano printing, or by any other means.

Atomic engines?

With regard to your use of DeltaV...

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44

The logic you're applying is reverse to reality (which is the basis, however fantasized and gamified) of the game simulation.

Also, why are you assuming with no evidence that the arkship's engines are nuclear? Even if they were, unless something went CATASTROPHICALLY wrong, they wouldn't be irradiating anything as long as they are operating correctly.

I am assuming that the arkship engines are nuclear because most other proposals for interstellar travel spacecraft is nuclear powered and how else would you get the energy to accelerate to lightspeed? 

@DragonShadow How is my logic reverse to reality? Also, the reactors would be radioactive, with potential for neutron activation or radioactive exhaust, depending on the specific drive design used. And yes, I do know what Delta-V means. Its how much you can accelerate: top speed and range isn 't really a thing due to the nature of space.

DU space elevator.png

22 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

I am assuming that the arkship engines are nuclear because most other proposals for interstellar travel spacecraft is nuclear powered and how else would you get the energy to accelerate to lightspeed? 

@DragonShadow How is my logic reverse to reality? Also, the reactors would be radioactive, with potential for neutron activation or radioactive exhaust, depending on the specific drive design used. And yes, I do know what Delta-V means. Its how much you can accelerate: top speed and range isn 't really a thing due to the nature of space.

DU space elevator.png

The energy could be Fusion related, it could be harvested from higher dimensions as well (after all the ark has tech to pull alternate you's from alternate realities). We just dont know what power source(s) are used hundreds of years in the future.

Other questions arise: Who builds the elevator, the base, who anchors it?  Carrying the material either in raw or stored form to make the elevator and ground station would have added substantially to the arks travel load as well. (also increasing the energy needed to propel the craft.)

Also what happens when you have 3,000 people logging into the game within a few minutes - that is one very busy elevator! Even with a couple hundred elevators being used at one time it would be hard to meet the login demand. I definitely dont want to be waiting for an elevator to arrive to start my game/respawn.

I keep seeing this as being added complexity with no mechanics, story, nor game benefit. In fact I see it as a detriment to the game.

I commend you for putting forth ideas, however this will be my last word/post on this topic as I will state that I think its a bad idea.