Modding??? A possiblity for Dual Universe

cyber_wyber

Hey kinda new here...

Just looking through the forums and saw that theres ALOT of good ideas just thought though are there going to be way of implementing your own mods into the game or is it a set game with locked tools because the idea of a Star wars build your own ships mod would be awesome!!!

Thanks.

I think, if there will be any mods it will be limited to the UI.  I am not sure what you mean by a star wars build your own ship mod, no doubt star wars ship will be built I am not clear how a mod would change that.

if they implement mods in this game i would be surprised just for the simple fact that other players who dont have your mod wouldnt be able to see it or interact with it which could cause some imbalance issues. For example i have a modded cockpit that has a rediculous amount of armor, you dont have that mod and i attack you... how would that play out? What i would like to see is a system where maybe a modder can submit a design or mod to the devs and have it put into the game for everyone. I believe that community involvement is a huge plus in games.

They could allow some levels of mod support. But honestly I'd rather the game not get bogged down by damage meters, and a thousand insignificant ui mods.

In depth modding is simply not feasible. But also don't you guys get tired of waiting for people to make mods and keep them updated.

The dev team can't be bothered to keep people's mods in working order with every patch.

I agree with neo here, for example look at space engineers. Nearly every week mods break due to game changes, or it happens the other way around.

Lets say a mod is made for gui, that is not so bad. . . right. The problem entails if it was not coded right and for this example lets say that it has an error. That error then is picked up by the client - server and causes a crash that shuts down not just your own client but the game servers themselves.

That is just one of many possibilities.

Another one, and this one is a big one, it can open up the game to exploits or hack mods.

So no I do not think modding needs to be in DU.

if they implement mods in this game i would be surprised just for the simple fact that other players who dont have your mod wouldnt be able to see it or interact with it which could cause some imbalance issues. For example i have a modded cockpit that has a rediculous amount of armor, you dont have that mod and i attack you... how would that play out? What i would like to see is a system where maybe a modder can submit a design or mod to the devs and have it put into the game for everyone. I believe that community involvement is a huge plus in games.

This, I would like to see as well. It effectively creates endless content for the game, in terms of elements