[DevDiary] - Massively Multiplayer Server Technology (Video)

yamamushi

I would love an in depth version of this into how they split the load. I assume they are using some type of virtualization. But the size and depth and how those machines communicate with each other will be amazing to learn.

I would love an in depth version of this into how they split their shard. I assume they are using some type of virtualization. But the size and depth and how those machines communicate with each other will be amazing to learn.

It was said in another interview (I'll try to dig it up) that they are using AWS for their cloud infrastructure. 

Some cursory digging around has indicated they are using OVH in France for their dedicated server infrastructure. 

This interview may also be of some interest to you, though it doesn't really cover a whole lot of in depth detail about how the architecture, http://blog.actor-framework.org/2014-12/spotlight-dual-universe/

It was said in another interview (I'll try to dig it up) that they are using AWS for their cloud infrastructure. 

Some cursory digging around has indicated they are using OVH in France for their dedicated server infrastructure. 

This interview may also be of some interest to you, though it doesn't really cover a whole lot of in depth detail about how the architecture, http://blog.actor-framework.org/2014-12/spotlight-dual-universe/

Awesome info will read. Thanks.

Edit: "It was very hard however to find good Scala developers...." I lol'ed

did nobody notice that with the few npc's they had in that demo, that it was slightly laggy. i feel like the frame rate was starting to drop while he was on the ground. once he started to get away from the planet than his fps went back up to seamless but i'm a little worried, especially because their promising that were going to be able to have hundreds on one ship micromanaging things all the while in the middle of battle with 100 more players? i just don't think it looks good right now for the server to be able to hold all that. than again, i know next to nothing about computers and game development. so maybe my warring s fr nothing.

did nobody notice that with the few npc's they had in that demo, that it was slightly laggy. i feel like the frame rate was starting to drop while he was on the ground. once he started to get away from the planet than his fps went back up to seamless but i'm a little worried, especially because their promising that were going to be able to have hundreds on one ship micromanaging things all the while in the middle of battle with 100 more players? i just don't think it looks good right now for the server to be able to hold all that. than again, i know next to nothing about computers and game development. so maybe my warring s fr nothing.

That's why it's in Alpha right now :)

I would love an in depth version of this into how they split the load. I assume they are using some type of virtualization. But the size and depth and how those machines communicate with each other will be amazing to learn.

I found the reference to the AWS virtualization, it's in this interview 

At roughly 1:04:00 in the video (rather, in his response to the question at 1:04:00). 

I watched this in the morning, got to say, quite impressed at how it handles the load. Even if the bots are just doing simple and meaningless things. It will be interesting to see the effect once there is large structures thrown in with more going on - though I doubt we'll see video of that any time soon.

As for the FPS drop, it's still Pre-Alpha, I don't think Optimization of the models etc. is really on their mind when they are still building on the main mechanics of the game. :P 

That's why it's in Alpha right now :)

I found the reference to the AWS virtualization, it's in this interview 

At roughly 1:04:00 in the video (rather, in his response to the question at 1:04:00). 

Hmmm thats really interesting cause from the sound of it their game servers may not have been on AWS. He says they spin up servers on aws to act as clients. I assume they are probably using AWS for their game server if they are using it to spin up virtual clients but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

Good find either way, thanks.

Hmmm thats really interesting cause from the sound of it their game servers may not have been on AWS. He says they spin up servers on aws to act as clients. I assume they are probably using AWS for their game server if they are using it to spin up virtual clients but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

Good find either way, thanks.

He makes other mentions that their server technology is only possible because of advances in cloud computing in that same interview. 

Based on how the servers are being split up dynamically automatically based on player density, I imagine AWS is the only provider that can scale up and down quickly enough for them  :)

He makes other mentions that their server technology is only possible because of advances in cloud computing in that same interview. 

Based on how the servers are being split up dynamically automatically based on player density, I imagine AWS is the only provider that can scale up and down quickly enough for them  :)

I would agree aws is most likely, possibly google or microsoft. Unless they have a completely custom setup for their servers. Whatever the situation would be very cool to hear.

Considering how early they are in development, I'm completely impressed by this. Looking forward to when they start needing some of us bodies to get some real heavy server load on their test bed  ;) 

*Hollers to devs* We are here whenever you need us! *throws some money at the screen*  :D

I expect that once they actually get around to setting up servers to run the game on they will move towards using their own hardware, seems weird to be reliant on a 3d party for servers. Though it would be cool if they could use cloud servers to handle overloads.

It looks good but I have a question will a very fast moving player get a sub-server or what ever it is called? Jumping speedy from subserver to sub-server rapidly could cause mayhem. Speedy would still see the rest as the camera player in the video does. 

It looks good but I have a question will a very fast moving player get a sub-server or what ever it is called? Jumping speedy from subserver to sub-server rapidly could cause mayhem. Speedy would still see the rest as the camera player in the video does. 

I am almost sure they got that covered.

Since you have a dynamic load balancing between physical servers, with a max limit of player each, you could move as far as you want, you will still be handled by a server being below this limit.