State your ideas: Possible future expainsion contents

Croomar

Novaquark and JC have talked about expansions for DU coming after release in regular intervalls. 

One of these expansion is for example the one with which we'll get stargates and each of then has a theme or topic to it.

While each of these ideas could probably fill a topic on their own, I'd like to collect a few brief descriptions of possible updates. 

Farming & Breeding

Something that JC has reacted quite positively to when the topic was brought up during the GDC meetup. He said that if there's interest in the field, they'd seriously consider it. 

I can imagine growing industrial plants for certain materials like padding, bases for plastics, medicinical herbs and the likes as well. 

As for breeding, since there's supposed to be both primitive alien life and some kind of pet, both could be breedable. As JC said during one of the more recent interviews,  food will be a thing, so harvesting meat from your breedable livestock, maybe even create fuel from fat. Pets could be breeded to sell them to other players.

Dynamic elements

It's something that a lot of people have been asking for, or that's at least expected by most but very difficult with the voxel and server technology DU is using. Elements that can rotate, and turn, pistons, slides and pumps could help a lot when creativity is limited by ingame possiblities.

Water dynamics

For the beginning, water is planned to stay a texture. JC has stated numerous times, that they will add proper water dynamics though. Part of this system would then be to make underwater bases, maybe even whole cities. 
It would enable an ocean biom and maybe even whole ocean planets with its own ecosystem and other kinds of primitive alien life. 

Intelligent Alien races

An update that introduces other races of intelligent life. Alien races that may be native to one of the systems the players discover could become playable as an alternative to the human characters and create factions that can choose to side with each other or wage war. Multiple alien races and factions could be mplemented.

Modular elements

In order to increase the variety in elements as there are only different sizes of them available, elements could be created out of multiple smaller sub-elements that together form a new, functional element. Turrets could be built out of bases, barrels, muzzels and other parts, fuel tanks can be split into different segments, thrusters into engines, exhausts and a turbine. 
The final element gets different stats depending on material and number of the sub-elements used.

What are some other themes you could imagine? 

5 minutes ago, Croomar said:

Something that JC has reacted quite positively to when the topic was brought up during the GDC meetup. He said that if there's interest in the field, they'd seriously consider it. 

Actually a lot of people may come to the game if it has some descent farming simulation :D Especially if you can open your own Space Donalds or Burger Queen. 

All I want is dynamically change hulls of the ships. As described in some other topics - a set of blocks/modules that will add movement to your bases/ships, ie rotate/slide/pump/piston things. So that you can press a button and your transport ship will change 'archived state' to big hangar state where you can dock ships, place cargo boxes, etc. Or build base with rotating circle around it, etc. But unfortunately I'm almost confident it won't happen at least few years if would at all.

Expansions : Water  =) if they can make water work in the game then that has a potential for water worlds which would add variety in the types of planets we could colonized plus under water bases and cities seem like it would be cool to have ! 

I guess a alternate would be if we could not build in the water you could still make a planet with lots of islands ?    =)   just saying !

I get this has its own thread, but I feel it belongs here as well. An "Alien" DLC where you can have "Alien" type technology and even races added to the game. Playable or not (I would rather the new race be playable). This DLC will have new materials, new building prefabs (like new alien ship cockpits and engine designs, new weapons, new armor, etc). Then we will see NPC Aliens that fly around and attack humans because "they think we are invading" and then you could have both sides be playable and hostile. Eventually you could either (as its one server) work to team up and end the aggression or stay aggressive. Then maybe a few DLC later another Alien race implemented which brings in more stuff.

To me, there will be a point when the developers hit a mental wall when it comes to building human prefabs, armor and weapons, etc. Eventually they will tire and need a break from it. Instead of taking a break and not creating anything, they can start to think up aliens weapons and armor, technology, and prefabs. this will keep the developers in tip top shape. Everyone hits that wall at some point, in fact, many studios that constantly remake the same game over and over, all have run out of idea's and no matter what they see other games implement, they simply cannot create anymore because they ran out of "spark" (best way i can explain idea's and such). So if they took a break to make another game, they sort of get like a refresher and then new idea's start flowing. Sort of like when you have a problem, and you can't solve it, you take a break and do something else, when you come back, you can solve it very easily.

but this is just my two cents. :)

All very nice points. I took the liberty to add your posts to the OP and link to your posts. I also expanded the list with another idea I had. 

I dont like the idea of having alien civs ingame since the game is supposed to be human centric. What I can get behind is extinct alien civs and there being a reason why there are no intelligent life except for humans. Also, considering that "civilization" as we know it today have only existed for around 5000 years so assuming a 10000 year window(to account for higher tech civs)  and that each star will have/had civs on them and has a average lifetime of 10 billion years, thats a 0.000001 chance of each star having recognizeable civs on them.

1 minute ago, 0something0 said:

I dont like the idea of having alien civs ingame since the game is supposed to be human centric. What I can get behind is extinct alien civs and there being a reason why there are no intelligent life except for humans. Also, considering that "civilization" as we know it today have only existed for around 5000 years so assuming a 10000 year window(to account for higher tech civs)  and that each star will have/had civs on them and has a average lifetime of 10 billion years, thats a 0.000001 chance of each star having recognizeable civs on them.

Even if the chance is only 10^-15 there are thousands, just saying. And planets have civilizations on them, not stars :P

But I agree, fallen civs: yeah, noice.

Playable aliens or npcs: nope.

Besides: modular elements won't be ingame. Maybe many years after launch, but I even doubt that

On 25.10.2017 at 10:44 PM, Lethys said:

Besides: modular elements won't be ingame. Maybe many years after launch, but I even doubt that

I know modular elements won't be ingame. It's almost... as if I just wrote that up as an idea for a future update :blink:
For example as in a future expansion. Many years after launch... when the expansions are planned to happen :P

I have to agree as well though, JC wants DU to be an immersive experience, he said that playable races, being alien or not, would be a step back from his vision for what DU is supposed to be. Then again, if there were enough interest in the future, they may add an alien content update similar to what Elite does.
Ancient alien civs have been talked about in the early days of DU though. Sometimes linked to possible safe zones outside Alioth.

I would love to have the dynamic elements. I had so much inspiration from just watching the interactive elements & linking video.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't imagine the surge in physics compute power required to make it truly adjustable thus unshackling the creative geniuses out there. Give us the ability to script moving parts and there will be competition for various categories and sizes of mech. Not to mention all of the Anime inspired designs from shows such as Robotech, Voltron, Transformers, and a ton more. I could even see a few nuts making *gasp* practical devices/robots/hidden doors/etc.